PharmCAS plagiarizing code of conduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carolinagirl94

Reaction score
Today I was accused of plagiarizing my personal statement on PharmCAS. I used the same essay from last years application cycle , I just edited a few things. It stated I had 30% similarities from a online source. I used word phrase for example like “my passion for pharmacy” and other common words you would use to describe yourself,and word phrases to explain why I wanted to be apart of the pharmacy program I selected. The AACP put my application on hold at first and then came to a decision that I plagiarized my PS. They gave me the option too appeal their decision (which I am) but this is so frustrating because I never plagiarized anything or disobeyed any form of conducts before. This may look bad on me when reapplying to any pharmacy school now. I just needed some feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Today I was accused of plagiarizing my personal statement on PharmCAS. I used the same essay from last years application cycle , I just edited a few things. It stated I had 30% similarities from a online source. I used word phrase for example like “my passion for pharmacy” and other common words you would use to describe yourself,and word phrases to explain why I wanted to be apart of the pharmacy program I selected. The AACP put my application on hold at first and then came to a decision that I plagiarized my PS. They gave me the option too appeal their decision (which I am) but this is so frustrating because I never plagiarized anything or disobeyed any form of conducts before. This may look bad on me when reapplying to any pharmacy school now. I just needed some feedback
Unfortunately self-plagiarism is a thing that exists and which they check for. If you reused large portions of your personal statement from last year, that will catch in their filters and you will get cited for plagiarism. Take this as a lesson learned. I know it's stressful having to write a personal statement the first time, let alone rewrite one from scratch, but that is what you'll have to do (in the future) to avoid this.

Also, simply using phrases like "my passion in pharmacy" should not account for more than 5% of the plagiarism check if you're writing from scratch. For example, my high school teachers used to use TurnItIn.com and some would let you see what specifically in your essay was caught by the plagiarism checker. I frequently had 1-5% caught for common phrases, including those directly from the text I cited, but this was not considered plagiarism.

Reactions: 1 users
Before I submitted my application, I called the Pharmcas to make sure I understand the policy. After talking to them, you not allowed to reuse same essay so I wrote a new one. Any plagiarizing will be looking bad even though it yours in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I concur that self-plagiarism is indeed plagiarism. Throughout my undergraduate Research I had to as well run all my thesis / reports / write-ups and analysis / EVEN my calculations through Turnitin portal. However, if the report showed 10% or more the reference of what was possibly plagiarized would be available to view and compare.

If you used the same info from last year and just “edited” a few spots that’s no different to PharmCAS if it came from yourself or another source. PharmCAS has a number to contact them about your misunderstanding, but ultimately the ball is in their court.

You can still apply to a few schools that don’t utilize PharmCAS. I’d apply to those as a back-up just in case your appealment makes its turn for the negative.

Hi, I was reading your post and was wondering what was your outcome with the decision committee for Pharmcas? I was flagged as well and really wanted to see what my odds were in still sending my apps off.

pla·gia·rism
/ˈplājəˌrizəm/
noun
  1. the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
    "there were accusations of plagiarism"
    synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing, poaching, appropriation;
    informalcribbing

Threre is the definition. I think what they are doing is petty if what you say is true. Also, if it hinders you from getting into pharmacy school, you might look back and realize it was for the best and they did you a HUGE favor in life. ;-)

pla·gia·rism
/ˈplājəˌrizəm/
noun
  1. the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
    synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing, poaching, appropriation;
    informalcribbing

Threre is the definition. I think what they are doing is petty if what you say is true. Also, if it hinders you from getting into pharmacy school, you might look back and realize it was for the best and they did you a HUGE favor in life. ;-)

This is not plagiarism. In fact I think you should consider your legal options and file a civil action against PharmCAS. I'm no expert but it maybe illegal and even criminal negligence on their part. Plagiarism is copying OTHER ppls work not your own. You can still apply to a few schools that don’t utilize PharmCAS. I’d apply to those as a back-up just in case your appealment makes its turn for the negative.

You can still apply to a few schools that don’t utilize PharmCAS. I’d apply to those as a back-up just in case your appealment makes its turn for the negative.

Dude you just plagiarized BC_89!

Reactions: 2 users
This is not plagiarism. In fact I think you should consider your legal options and file a civil action against PharmCAS. I'm no expert but it maybe illegal and even criminal negligence on their part. Plagiarism is copying OTHER ppls work not your own. You can still apply to a few schools that don’t utilize PharmCAS. I’d apply to those as a back-up just in case your appealment makes its turn for the negative.

W..O..W.

I had to double check this. @Modest_anteater are you for real? Literally 4 months apart on this thread and you plagiarized me on a conduct of plagiarism page word for word?!

You can’t make this up...

Next time I expect quotations and a work-cited reference page on my behalf. This truly made me laugh...out...loud

Reactions: 2 users
W..O..W.

I had to double check this. @Modest_anteater are you for real? Literally 4 months apart on this thread and you plagiarized me on a conduct of plagiarism page word for word?!

You can’t make this up...

Next time I expect quotations and a work-cited reference page on my behalf. This truly made me laugh...out...loud
Haha thanks man I try! Sharp eye!