Dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ92

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a medical student aspiring to be a psychiatrist. It is the reason I got into medical school, in fact, so it is very important to me that I get there.
However, I can be a little eccentric at times, and that includes my clothing. It was brought to my attention by a relative that I may scare patients and referrals away if I continue dressing the way I dress, even though I don't think I dress that outrageously and my country is extremely traditional. I'm just a little out there.

Things I wear regularly:
- Non-matching patterns and colors
- Faux animal print jackets
- Doc Martens, especially purple ones
- Skirts and dresses with colorful, or stripy leggings underneath
- Lots of vintage and second-hand things

I'm also currently sporting a bob cut that has been compared to the one from the movie Amelie. Baby bangs and all.

I never wear things that are too revealing. Just "eccentric".

Would this really damage my reputation or make people misjudge my capacity, or would people just expect it because of stereotypes of the field?
How much is too much?

It may seem minor and superficial, but clothing is a major expressive outlet for me.
The office isn’t a place for people to be expressive. It’s a place for us to take care of people. Save the really out of norm stuff for after work hours

I would be unlikely to continue seeing a doc in purple doc martins, rainbow yoga pants and a fake cheetah sweater. I’m older though, maybe some folks would love it.

Reactions: 17 users
The office isn’t a place for people to be expressive. It’s a place for us to take care of people. Save the really out of norm stuff for after work hours

I would be unlikely to continue seeing a doc in purple doc martins, rainbow yoga pants and a fake cheetah sweater. I’m older though, maybe some folks would love it.
I’m younger and I doubt I would continue to see this doc

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks! It makes sense...
I might tone it down during office hours to something traditional, but would it matter if people saw me on the street dressing not so traditionally? I'm relatively well known where I live, have a lot of friends that love me, and so far people never treated me differently for my style. But my relative's comment got me thinking about potential damage to my professional reputation and I really appreciate the input!

Thanks! It makes sense...
I might tone it down during office hours to something traditional, but would it matter if people saw me on the street dressing not so traditionally? I'm relatively well known where I live, have a lot of friends that love me, and so far people never treated me differently for my style. But my relative's comment got me thinking about potential damage to my professional reputation and I really appreciate the input!

I could see my doctor doing handstands on stilts in a purple cat costume on the weekends as long as she can switch to professional mode in the office when she sees me.

Reactions: 10 users
I could see my doctor doing handstands on stilts in a purple cat costume on the weekends as long as she can switch to professional mode in the office when she sees me.

Thanks!! That's great to hear - reassuring!
So far I've had a very positive experience with patients. Really want to keep it that way, and it helps to hear they might not base their perception of me on this

Dude, just be yourself.

I definitely wouldn’t care. If you’re good you’re good, doesn’t matter what you look like. I’m not a close-minded dick, though.
That's wonderful to hear! Honestly hoping my patients will think like this

Dude, just be yourself.

I definitely wouldn’t care. If you’re good you’re good, doesn’t matter what you look like. I’m not close-minded, though.

Ironic that you are accusing others of being close minded because they don’t share your view.

Reactions: 1 users
Not seeing someone because how they look is literally the basis for bigotry and racism. So, ya, I’m against that stuff.

You sound like a firm supporter though

I personally don’t care how people dress outside of work. They can do whatever they want on their own time as long as it’s not criminal or harming others. But preferring a medical professional dress professionally in a professional environment is not bigotry or racism.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
“professional” dress is defined by whom? The 95 year old white guys who claim one must look a certain one? Because the basis of what is “professional” dress is 100% racist...

Lol, you have a good day.

Well this took a strange turn:

OP, i think dressing professionally is the way to go and something that'll be appreciated by your patients and school.

Reactions: 3 users
Not seeing someone because how they look is literally the basis for bigotry and racism. So, ya, I’m against that stuff.

I completely understand and agree with your view. But, remember that medicine is a service industry at the end of the day. You're going to be delivering care to those you wont agree with, wont look like them, etc.

As such, I think its important to be as neutral as possible. OP, you can do as you see fit outside of work, just make sure its not publicized and it doesnt somehow play into your image as a clinician.

Im male, but I do dress a bit "modern". Do I wish I could dress that way at work or in my future career as a clinician? Of course. But part of being an adult is learning to compartmentalize and learning whats appropriate for a given setting.

I scribe and I can tell you that it doesnt matter if the physician cured cancer and is the best on the planet, the patient will hold reservations about someone dressed in a non-conservative manner, revealing or not. In turn, its going to spill over and seed doubts in their confidence in you as a physician in what can sometimes be the most difficult period in their lives.

“professional” dress is defined by whom? The 95 year old white guys who claim one must look a certain one? Because the basis of what is “professional” dress is 100% racist...

What? How is it racist to not want to see a doctor in cheetah print and dock martins? “Professional” doesn’t mean anything other than professional. You don’t have to dress like an old white guy to be professional. You’re making huge logical leaps here.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Professional dress is defined by a combination of practicality and social norms. Practicality is why the folks who collect your garbage don't wear flip flops to work. When talking about out-patient psychiatry, the practicality side is almost non-existant but the social norms is very prevalent and important. The norms exists due to a culture created by the people you interact with in the workplace (peers and patients), not some imaginary committee of rich white guys. Straying from them tends to reflect poorly on the individual no matter the job. If you're a "high-fashion" designer, NOT dressing eccentricly may reflect poorly on your creative capacities, but when you're a psychiatrist dressing as such, I would question your ability to recognize social norms and would therefore question your capacity to help me in such areas. Based on the other posts on this thread it seems I'm not the only one. Notice everyone has said they would question the physicians abilities, or LIKELY not continue with them due to an obvious social red flag in a socially sensitive area of work. Seems like a pretty reasonable response to me. Not quite sure where the racism comes in.

No. Judging someone for their race is literally the basis for racism.

You want to wear clothes that are out of the norm for a professional environment or get a marvin the martian peeing on a chevy symbol tattoo on your face, it’s not racism to have an opinion about that

You keep using that word but in a way that implies you don’t know what it means

• Love
People can and will judge you in your appearance. Some aspects of your appearance you have control over (clothes, hairstyle, etc) and others you don’t (age, sex, ethnicity).

Studies do show that most patients prefer their physician to dress professionally. So I do, especially since I’m a new attending and patients think I look really young. They are judging me, including my competence and whether I’m trustworthy, before I even open my mouth.

Keep in mind that when we see patients (particularly inpatients), they are in a very vulnerable position and are often scared, so whatever we can do to put them at ease helps.

We have a doc here who wears shorts, has multiple tattoos and ear gauges. His patients love him. He’s ridiculously smart so that helps. So there are outliers.

I would still recommend trying to tone things down and dress more professional when you’re with patients. Especially while you’re in medical school and residency, where evaluations from attendings are often subjective enough already.

You keep using that word but in a way that implies you don’t know what it means
1577032432968.png

I just had to

Reactions: 5 users
just my personal opinion but if I wouldnt wear it while going out to dinner to meet my SOs parents for the first time then I wouldnt wear that outfit with patients.

Having your own unique style is great but there is a time and place for stripy leggings and purple doc martins..a medical office or hospital isnt one of them

I always wonder if on clinic days it acceptable to wear a professional button-down top or a nice sweater with khakis or ( non skinny) jeans. Or does it have to be dress pants/dress blazer at all times? Is it semi formal or formal? I know I'm way too early along I'm just curious.

I always wonder if on clinic days it acceptable to wear a professional button-down top or a nice sweater with khakis or ( non skinny) jeans. Or does it have to be dress pants/dress blazer at all times? Is it semi formal or formal? I know I'm way too early along I'm just curious.

My favorite pediatrician we’ve ever had for our kids dressed like that a lot. She always looked very professional. She was also a great pediatrician so that might have helped lol.

Depending on your supervisor’s opinion, that sounds fine

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of pediatricians dress more casually as I think it tends to help not freak out the kids, but until you're an attending it's going to depend on what your superiors say, and even as an attending your practice may have rules otherwise. I shadowed a pediatrician in undergrad who had a closet full of jeans and t-shirts in his office because he liked to change if he got snotted on

Reactions: 4 users
Eh...I think it depends on the person. My brother used to see a psychiatrist who was pretty eccentric himself. But he felt comfortable with him. I would probably dress more "professionally" but I really don't think your patients will care that much. Hell, one of the psychiatrist at the hospital I'm currently at, dresses weirdly too. She always dresses like a Goth and then throws in some colorful shoes or something. So, maybe it's acceptable for psychiatrists to dress how they want. Lol.

This thread was a pleasant read on my study break. Thank you to all the participants.

Psychiatrists and pediatricians tend to dress a bit more... colorful. I feel my patients deserve respect and I dress accordingly because they commit a lot of time and/or money to voluntarily see me, or involutarily.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm considering toning it down for the clinic at least during this stage. Maybe one day I can be an outlier and dress more like myself knowing it won't affect my doctor-patient relationships.

The purple docs... I remember wearing them a few years ago while seeing patients in a medical mission in Central America (they matched my purple stethoscope haha). I didn't think much about them, but the physicians supervising me didn't seem to mind and asked me to come back again the year after. Surprisingly, I don't think it hindered the patients' ability to trust me. There was one patient in particular, a victim of abuse, who asked to talk to me specifically about her home and family situation. It gave me the impression that she trusted me.

This was, however, an isolated case. Reading these answers gives me a more ample view, and makes me think that I may encounter different reactions to my presentation.

I personally wouldn’t bat an eye at purple shoes but would probably think dressing in weird clothes was a bit much. I think the purple docs are probably fine in PP when you’re an attending.

Psychiatrists and pediatricians tend to dress a bit more... colorful. I feel my patients deserve respect and I dress accordingly because they commit a lot of time and/or money to voluntarily see me, or involutarily.

They do? How so?

I personally wouldn’t bat an eye at purple shoes but would probably think dressing in weird clothes was a bit much. I think the purple docs are probably fine in PP when you’re an attending.

What would you say the line is? The docs might be okay, and all of the things I listed worn together would be the highest end of the spectrum. When does it become too much for a clinical setting?

What would you say the line is? The docs might be okay, and all of the things I listed worn together would be the highest end of the spectrum. When does it become too much for a clinical setting?
If you have to ask yourself “is this appropriate to wear in a clinical setting” or “will patients be distracted/bothered by my outfit” then it’s ‘too much’

I'd just like to point out the definition you're attributing to only old white guys is actually prolific among Latin America/Caribbean both old and young.

Source: my family, family friends, community, etc

I'd just like to point out the definition you're attributing to only old white guys is actually prolific among Latin America/Caribbean both old and young.

Source: my family, family friends, community, etc

Latin America can be extreeeemely traditional (in certain circles).... and it does have heavy European/White influence. Maybe you both have a point?

You already know that you can easily dress down or go full eccentric. We do it from day to night. Your hair doesn't sound like a problem, nor do accents of vintage pieces. As an attending, particularly in private practice, you shouldn't have a problem with dressing as you like, but we are all smart enough to know that clothing can be a uniform. Are you going to want to be viewed by your patients exactly as you do by friends and family? Your clothing reveals who you are. If you want to reveal who you are to the world in all settings, all the time, go for it.

Missed those professionalism lectures I see. Many patients are riddled with anxiety, depression, OCD, etc that psychiatrists see. Many patients derive comfort from professional dress and demeanor. Others dont. You dont know who they are ahead of time. I can clearly see how an emotionally fragile patient might become anxious and have doubts about their Dr if they are dressed in a Dr Who tee shirt and cut off shorts. A bit outrageous example but OP signaled they dress outside the norm. Bigotry and racism have little if anything to do with it.

• Love
Latin America can be extreeeemely traditional (in certain circles).... and it does have heavy European/White influence. Maybe you both have a point?

Eh, the country where I'm from definitely tends to be more conservative in general. I get your point about euro-descendants but its not the majority case where I'm from.

If anything I feel it has to do more with strong Catholic/other religious beliefs.

I love fashion and have docs, vintage pieces, and animal print in my closet currently. The pieces that make it into my work wardrobe are the animal prints (banana republic and Ann Taylor have some nice work-appropriate versions) although depending on the style of the doc (they have some chic dressier styles) I could conceivably see myself wearing them to work someday. I enjoy finding a way to make fun pieces work in my work wardrobe and the key is to limit yourself on how many "out there" pieces you incorporate into a look. I think there is a way to incorporate personal style into business casual in a way that would not be too eyebrow raising to patients.

I have seen some of the most interesting outfits in psych outpatient because you aren't as limited by needing to be able to run around a hospital/do a head to toe physical exam. I have also seen one adolescent inpatient psych attending wear skater dresses with fun flats every day. Peds is where I have seen the most out there styles - purple hair, holographic fanny packs, superhero shirts. I think you should wear what you want within reason, it's going to resonate with some people and put others off no matter what. For those implying that business formal is always best, here's an Atlantic article that bothered me when it was published. It's about the writer (also an MD) being disquieted that their female doctor wore a tailored suit and heels and much preferring the look of a male hospice doc in corduroys. The Clothes Make the Doctor

Some work-appropriate doc marten examples (some with a few modifications like the pants in the last one should probably be a bit less close fitting):

come-portare-le-dr-martens-7.jpg

doc-martens-business-casual-1.jpg

be7b0c03df70a471f7ab88d9ccabfe85.jpg

I love fashion and have docs, vintage pieces, and animal print in my closet currently. The pieces that make it into my work wardrobe are the animal prints (banana republic and Ann Taylor have some nice work-appropriate versions) although depending on the style of the doc (they have some chic dressier styles) I could conceivably see myself wearing them to work someday. I enjoy finding a way to make fun pieces work in my work wardrobe and the key is to limit yourself on how many "out there" pieces you incorporate into a look. I think there is a way to incorporate personal style into business casual in a way that would not be too eyebrow raising to patients.

I have seen some of the most interesting outfits in psych outpatient because you aren't as limited by needing to be able to run around a hospital/do a head to toe physical exam. I have also seen one adolescent inpatient psych attending wear skater dresses with fun flats every day. Peds is where I have seen the most out there styles - purple hair, holographic fanny packs, superhero shirts. I think you should wear what you want within reason, it's going to resonate with some people and put others off no matter what. For those implying that business formal is always best, here's an Atlantic article that bothered me when it was published. It's about the writer (also an MD) being disquieted that their female doctor wore a tailored suit and heels and much preferring the look of a male hospice doc in corduroys. The Clothes Make the Doctor

Some work-appropriate doc marten examples (some with a few modifications like the pants in the last one should probably be a bit less close fitting):

View attachment 290186
View attachment 290187
View attachment 290188

I LOVE your answer!! YES!!!! Making both work like this would be my definition of ideal! Thank you!

Eh, the country where I'm from definitely tends to be more conservative in general. I get your point about euro-descendants but its not the majority case where I'm from.

If anything I feel it has to do more with strong Catholic/other religious beliefs.

In the country where I'm from, the conservative style and mindset comes from European influence... just like the religious beliefs ;) so in a way, although the professional style is worn by my non-white population, it still is white in its origin.

Not everybody's that traditional, though. Unfortunately society is extremely segmented, and it's easy to see where traditionalism is concentrated the most.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a medical student aspiring to be a psychiatrist. It is the reason I got into medical school, in fact, so it is very important to me that I get there.
However, I can be a little eccentric at times, and that includes my clothing. It was brought to my attention by a relative that I may scare patients and referrals away if I continue dressing the way I dress, even though I don't think I dress that outrageously and my country is extremely traditional. I'm just a little out there.

Things I wear regularly:
- Non-matching patterns and colors
- Faux animal print jackets
- Doc Martens, especially purple ones
- Skirts and dresses with colorful, or stripy leggings underneath
- Lots of vintage and second-hand things

I'm also currently sporting a bob cut that has been compared to the one from the movie Amelie. Baby bangs and all.

I never wear things that are too revealing. Just "eccentric".

Would this really damage my reputation or make people misjudge my capacity, or would people just expect it because of stereotypes of the field?
How much is too much?

It may seem minor and superficial, but clothing is a major expressive outlet for me.
Once you put on that white coat, you into character.

Therefore, you dress the part. And that part is professional.

I'm glad you changed your mind, because I guarantee you that if you showed up at a rotation dressed in your normal attire, your preceptor would have told you "Student Doctor Green, go back home and change into something professional. And don't come into clinic like this again"

I had never heard that expression before!

Not gonna lie, I do value having this as a creative outlet of sorts haha but I value my dream of becoming a psychiatrist even more, so I'm trying to weigh how much of my dressing style I can keep without hurting the possibility of reaching my dream.

Its a quote from the extremely funny (but only from season 2-7) show “The Office”

I'd like to point out that a lot of patients might not share this view. Just an anecdote to illustrate my point: a psychiatric patient told me that he had switched psychiatrists (to the one that I was working with at the time) because while googling his former psychiatrist, he found the physician's twitter which contained pictures that had very, let's say, flamboyant dress. Even though the patient acknowledged he wasn't bigoted, he felt uncomfortable with that doctor managing his care.

You can't control what people do. Patients judging you as their physician and you as a person are different but linked things.

Once you put on that white coat, you into character.

Therefore, you dress the part. And that part is professional.

I'm glad you changed your mind, because I guarantee you that if you showed up at a rotation dressed in your normal attire, your preceptor would have told you "Student Doctor Green, go back home and change into something professional. And don't come into clinic like this again"

I wouldn't say I've changed my mind... more like trying to find a point that works in the spectrum in a professional setting

I wouldn't say I've changed my mind... more like trying to find a point that works in the spectrum in a professional setting
might I suggest you pick 1 article of clothing in each outfit and have that be your little "personal touch". Shoes, a scarf, hat, a pin whatever floats your boat. Beyond that single piece keep the rest of it neutral

I'd like to point out that a lot of patients might not share this view. Just an anecdote to illustrate my point: a psychiatric patient told me that he had switched psychiatrists (to the one that I was working with at the time) because while googling his former psychiatrist, he found the physician's twitter which contained pictures that were very, let's say, flamboyant. Even though the patient acknowledged he wasn't homophobic, he felt uncomfortable with that doctor managing his care.

Sad to hear... I don't expect everybody who sees me to feel like the dynamic clicks. I would be okay with some patients switching to a colleague because they feel more comfortable, but I don't want it to be the rule either

might I suggest you pick 1 article of clothing in each outfit and have that be your little "personal touch". Shoes, a scarf, hat, a pin whatever floats your boat. Beyond that single piece keep the rest of it neutral

It wouldn't be unreasonable

Status
Not open for further replies.