Dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...bringing this back to OP.

I would definitely judge you for your clothes at work. If my family needed a psychiatrist, I would definitely not take them to the cheetah-print and purple shoe wearing fiasco. If I was in the academic setting, I would also not promote someone dressing so out of the ordinary, nor would I hire them.

This is professional school, and I seek to perform a profession with other professionals. I would not want people dressing to express themselves as part of my team. They can express themselves at home, when patients are not around.

But then again, that is just me. Not saying my way is “right,” just letting you hear my thoughts. Best of luck.
...bringing this back to OP.

I would definitely judge you for your clothes at work. If my family needed a psychiatrist, I would definitely not take them to the cheetah-print and purple shoe wearing fiasco. If I was in the academic setting, I would also not promote someone dressing so out of the ordinary, nor would I hire them.

This is professional school, and I seek to perform a profession with other professionals. I would not want people dressing to express themselves as part of my team. They can express themselves at home, when patients are not around.

But then again, that is just me. Not saying my way is “right,” just letting you hear my thoughts. Best of luck.

Excuse you, but I take offense in your comment. I imagine that by “the cheetah-print and purple shoe wearing fiasco” you mean me, seeing as how you mentioned the garments I listed in my original post.

Being profiled as a “fiasco” because of what I wear, does not speak of my skill or knowledge, but of your prejudice. It is also hostile, and goes against studentdoctor policy.

Needless to say, these may be “just your thoughts”, but that doesn’t make them constructive, respectful, or harmless.

I sincerely hope that when you use your judgment in practice you do so through logic, facts, and reason - not assumption, like you did here.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• FE397E25-7E6F-43C9-88DA-2D135C4D1243.jpeg
    FE397E25-7E6F-43C9-88DA-2D135C4D1243.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 2D087474-28DE-441C-A9F2-719C6411273C.jpeg
    2D087474-28DE-441C-A9F2-719C6411273C.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 19F48B50-F710-4249-A152-1AE76A050B86.jpeg
    19F48B50-F710-4249-A152-1AE76A050B86.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: 1 user
Excuse you, but I take offense in your comment. I imagine that by “the cheetah-print and purple shoe wearing fiasco” you mean me, seeing as how you mentioned the garments I listed in my original post.

Being profiled as a “fiasco” because of what I wear, does not speak of my skill or knowledge, but of your prejudice. It is also hostile, and goes against studentdoctor policy.

Needless to say, these may be “just your thoughts”, but that doesn’t make them constructive, respectful, or harmless.

I sincerely hope that when you use your judgment in practice you do so through logic, facts, and reason - not assumption, like you did here.
While their post was a bit offensive it’s not completely incorrect. What they said is what many peoples first impression will be and you either have to accept that and wear whatever outfit you want or tone down your attire to appease more traditional people

While their post was a bit offensive it’s not completely incorrect. What they said is what many peoples first impression will be and you either have to accept that and wear whatever outfit you want or tone down your attire to appease more traditional people

It is definitely offensive.
He was stating *his* impression - calling me or someone who dresses the exact same a fiasco.
If he paid attention to the previous posts, he probably saw that I might not mind wearing a toned down version of my style (at work) - so his post is not only hostile, but unnecessarily so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not locking this thread due to the value I put into gaining insight - which I obtain through responses that are new and constructive. The latter one I quoted was neither.
Feel free to speak you mind, that is the purpose of this thread - but I would expect responding members to show the human decency and respect that they should have as part of such a humanistic field, or at least out of respect for studentdoctor policy.

It is definitely offensive.
He was stating *his* impression - calling me or someone who dresses the exact same a fiasco.
If he paid attention to the previous posts, he probably saw that I might not mind wearing a toned down version of my style (at work) - so his post is not only hostile, but unnecessarily so.
But that’s kind of the point. People like him make up the vast majority of the population and will judge you for everything that you do unless it is what they have become accustomed to. You can either do what most of us do and appease them by donning a facade of “normalcy” or just accept that many people will erroneously judge you by your appearance and dress however you please. It sucks but that’s just how our society works

No need, it has been reported.

I’m recommending you ignore the user because you obviously don’t like what he has to say. While I think he could have worded it nicer perhaps, it is a bit of a stretch to say it is prejudiced. Additionally, his opinion is probably the one you’ll face the most even if you disagree with it.

Now let’s keep it on topic and professional (that goes for everyone).

But that’s kind of the point. People like him make up the vast majority of the population and will judge you for everything that you do unless it is what they have become accustomed to. You can either do what most of us to and appease them by donning a facade of “normalcy” or just accept that many people will erroneously judge you by your appearance and dress however you please. It sucks but that’s just how our society works

The fact that it exists will not prevent me from calling it out, nor does it make it acceptable. Patients are within their right to choose a different practitioner, and I would make peace with it if it ever happened. So far, it has not.
However, I will not take being called a fiasco from a member of this forum

But that’s kind of the point. People like him make up the vast majority of the population and will judge you for everything that you do unless it is what they have become accustomed to. You can either do what most of us to and appease them by donning a facade of “normalcy” or just accept that many people will erroneously judge you by your appearance and dress however you please. It sucks but that’s just how our society works
This is all true but the way that poster stated it was needlessly rude. I was going to comment on it but couldn't remember if mistafab is African American but I thought he was and if so his way of phrasing is pretty similar to what prejudiced people might post about how someone wears their natural hair or some cultural accessories and I am certain he would be very against that (but if he isn't African american then who knows how he would feel about that aspect). So even though some people can hold that kind of insulting view, there are more kind ways of addressing that as a concern.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m recommending you ignore the user because you obviously don’t like what he has to say. While I think he could have worded it nicer perhaps, it is a bit of a stretch to say it is prejudiced. Additionally, his opinion is probably the one you’ll face the most even if you disagree with it.

I choose to address it. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will build incorrect assumptions. It is human nature to fill what we can’t see in the ways we know best. I, at least, try to be aware of this and make an effort to avoid prejudice and assumptions in the hopes of self improval. It is up to you if you choose to do the same, but don’t expect me to accept the label “fiasco”

I choose to address it. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will build incorrect assumptions. It is human nature to fill what we can’t see in the ways we know best. I, at least, try to be aware of this and make an effort to avoid prejudice and assumptions in the hopes of self improval. It is up to you if you choose to do the same, but don’t expect me to accept the label “fiasco”

You don’t have to accept anything, but if the thread continues to be an argument over whether or not something should happen to a specific user, it will be closed. Whether I agree with the other poster is immaterial. His opinion could have been worded more professionally, and I have warned users now to be professional when posting. Now either you can ignore him and we can move on and let this thread continue, or you can not ignore him and let the thread move on. Putting someone on ignore isn’t a sign that you accept what they say, it’s just a way for you to not have to see it.

I think you are incorrect about this. Assuming the person wearing x has characteristics y is absolutely prejudiced. Certainly if the op had talked about their hair being in dreadlocks and someone had posted that they wouldn't promote or work with a dirty person like that it wouldn't be difficult to call that prejudiced. It just so happens that the prejudice about people who wear quirky clothes is not considered a bad thing like prejudice about ethnic or religious styles of dress. Not to say that I think it should be or whatever, but the post was made in an insulting fashion and therefore if reported shouldn't simply be dismissed since the other example I gave would not be.

I will not ignore it, nor will I let the thread go on.

I think you are incorrect about this. Assuming the person wearing x has characteristics y is absolutely prejudiced. Certainly if the op had talked about their hair being in dreadlocks and someone had posted that they wouldn't promote or work with a dirty person like that it wouldn't be difficult to call that prejudiced. It just so happens that the prejudice about people who wear quirky clothes is not considered a bad thing like prejudice about ethnic or religious styles of dress. Not to say that I think it should be or whatever, but the post was made in an insulting fashion and therefore if reported shouldn't simply be dismissed since the other example I gave would not be.

Fair enough. That’s a good point. I have addressed it a couple of time now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.