Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDH2DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools have a dress code? If so, what are the rules?

Members don't see this ad.

UoP:

business casual - i.e. collared shirt and pants or other business appropriate attire for the women.

UoP:

business casual - i.e. collared shirt and pants or other business appropriate attire for the women.

Man, I am so lazy that I dunno if I can do that. I'd much rather live in scrubs... I guess that makes my decision a lot easier. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ASDOH has one - but I can't remember what it is. I think it is like no jeans no flip flops.
Tennessee has one - I think it is no jeans, t-shirts or open toed shoes.
Does MUSC have one??

ASDOH's dress code is a choice; either pants and a collared shirt (no jeans) or you can wear full scrubs (some shade of blue). Not sure about the woman.

case is scrubs all the time

creighton...tie everyday

At University of Kentucky you can't where jeans during clinic. Basically, if you are going to be in front of patients. You can dress business casual or wear scrubs. I think you can wear whatever you want on other days.

Are these dress codes just during clinic time or does it apply to lecture time as well?

Are these dress codes just during clinic time or does it apply to lecture time as well?

i know a few med schools that make their students dress up (like shirt and tie) a couple days a week (northwestern if any of you are wondering). not sure about the dental schools that have a policy like this though

At Tennessee you have to wear business casual in lecture, no scrubs until you are in clinic. I thought ASDOH was the same, but I don't remember.

At Tennessee you have to wear business casual in lecture, no scrubs until you are in clinic. I thought ASDOH was the same, but I don't remember.

My Bro-in-Law is a D1 at ASDOH and he wears scrubs everyday and he is yet to be in the Clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to know! Now all I have to do is get accepted.

Man, I am so lazy that I dunno if I can do that. I'd much rather live in scrubs... I guess that makes my decision a lot easier. :laugh:

I'd love to see Pacific have scrub uniforms....

Some schools I interviewed at had scrubs all different colors and styles and that was tacky...but the schools that had 1 color that EVERYONE had to wear to even step into the clinic, looked so good. Some even had the logo and names on the top and pants. Classy.

I'm going to HATE ironing my clothes all the time!! At least we can complain together.

at UF it is scrubs or a shirt and tie. everybody wears scrubs. except for one guy that wears a shirt and tie.

Louisville is scrubs, and I think this year they started allowing a polo type shirt and slacks... but no jeans.

I'd love to see Pacific have scrub uniforms....

Some schools I interviewed at had scrubs all different colors and styles and that was tacky...but the schools that had 1 color that EVERYONE had to wear to even step into the clinic, looked so good. Some even had the logo and names on the top and pants. Classy.

I'm going to HATE ironing my clothes all the time!! At least we can complain together.

But think of the piano key neckties!!!

UIC and I believe NYU are both business-casual or scrubs. Scrubs would be the most comfortable, but if you don't have clinic for the first 1.5-2 years, I'd personally probably stick to business-casual....unless everyone else is just scrubbing it.

I'm pretty sure you can wear jeans at UW...i like that. I'm pretty sure its scrubs in clinic though.

its the one thing no student talks to you about, the trials and tribulations of wearing nice clothes after you went 4 yrs straight wearing jeans, sweatshirts, tshirts, and whatever was the floor that smelled clean!

No Kidding! I am going to have to take out a separate loan for a new wardrobe. Jeans, flip flops and tank tops are my clothes of choice!

I work in the real world at a business casual law firm, and I can tell you that I still get up in the morning, pick the clothes that don't smell too bad off of the floor and put those on and go to work..... so not much will change for me!

UNLV wears whatever. At the interview there were dudes in t shirts and jeans. Kinda turned me off a bit. I think that the dress codes are a good idea actually. I dont even mind wearing a tie. Maybe that has to do with the fact that I collect big fat polyester ties, but that is neither here nor there.

Incidentally, if anyone at Pacific wants to have an ugly tie contest the first day, count me in!

UW Dental students live in their jeans, northface fleeces, and casual shoes until they're in their scrubs as 3rd/4th-years.

What do people know about Columbia and UCLA?

for Columbia, it's casual. On days when you have preclinical course like dental anatomy or operative, you have to wear a white coat (or scrubs for dental anatomy, but white coat is required for operative). Other than that, we normally wear our dirty scrubs for anatomy since the cadaver will stink up your clothes. For normal lectures or histo labs, we can wear whatever we want. For the clinics in the 3rd and 4th year though, we're required to wear scrubs.

I will kinda like dressing in slacks and a collared shirt every day. I see it as being more professional than the scrubs look. I would also enjoy scrubs though because its like wearing your pajamas to work. Can't beat that huh!?

I don't care what I wear as long as I don't have to shave. I pretty much shave once a month, maybe. Not for style or asthetics but sheer laziness. I shaved once in october, once in december and once in January. Typicaly only for special occasions such as interviews. I know when I am in a clinic or in my own practice I shouldn't look like a mountain man, but until that day..... I tell you...... Clothes who cares I am a victem of 12 years of private education and dress codes.

At UB, you need to wear business casual with a white lab coat or scrubs (any color, any style) anytime you're in clinic, preclin, or any sort of lab (gross, histo, etc.) In lecture you can wear whatever you want...girls can get as skanked out as they want and guys can look like hobos. Both of which happens :D Second semester first year we get to wear real clothes 4 days out of the week! yay for not ironing!

Oh, and if you're in the lab coat/scrubs thing you also can't wear hats of any kind, sneakers, etc. But you can buy whatever scrubs you want and most people do that rather than dress nicely AND wear an ironed lab coat.