dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SUPERNOVA1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are examples of business casual dress code? i have to give a presentation for my PhD program and it says the dress code for the presentation is business casual

Members don't see this ad.

What are examples of business casual dress code?

business-casual.gif

Slacks and a polo or button up, no tie needed. Of course you're a grad student for now, so who cares right? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
What are examples of business casual dress code? i have to give a presentation for my PhD program and it says the dress code for the presentation is business casual

You've surely seen your peers give papers, right?
Dress up about that much.

It also depends on the context. If you're in EM, they tend to dress more casually. Derm tend to dress up a lot. If you see my point...

Rule of thumb: Dress up, but stay within your comfort level.
As Dr [name omitted, from IM] at my school always rants: "You want to be a doctor? Start dressing like one!"

If you're usually sitting in a lab and don "scruffy designed by comfy", make an effort. :p
If you have patient contact or do some undergrad lecturing, wear the good stuff from that collection. ;)

Practical hints:
1) If you are wearing a microphone, don't wear stuff that ruffles and makes "noises" (like some silky shirts or scarfs or jewelry and other bling [women are at greater risk]) and make sure you have a pocket where you can put the transmitter in [again more of a problem for women], they tend to be quite chunky and heavy.

2) Make sure your phone is switched off and your pager signed over to your boss -- nothing more annoying for your audience than you suddenly having to tend to other business... If your pager never goes off, it will then! :D

3) If somebody is recording you (for podcast or other), stay clear of small patterns. They just look wrong on a small screen.

4) Rather wear cool clothes than too warm. You'll be somewhat nervous and this will keep you warm. You don't want to look hot and flushed.

5) Most important: burn your presentation on a DVD or bring an extra memory stick, I've seen laptops die... Your presentation is the most important thing!

Good luck & enjoy it! :luck:

One more thing: if you tend to play with stuff, like paper clip or pen or (worse) coins in your pocket, while you speak: Make a conscious effort to empty your pockets before and put the stuff faaaaar away.

Last edited:
regardless of what the dress code says, if you're giving a presentation in front of professionals I'd wear at least a dress shirt/slacks/shoes and a tie. Would not wear a polo or short sleeved shirt, would not go without a tie. Even though it says business casual if you are presenting as a student I'd go slightly above the dress requirement. Then again this is only my experience as an MD student, PhD programs away from patient contact might have different expectations.

regardless of what the dress code says, if you're giving a presentation in front of professionals I'd wear at least a dress shirt/slacks/shoes and a tie. Would not wear a polo or short sleeved shirt, would not go without a tie. Even though it says business casual if you are presenting as a student I'd go slightly above the dress requirement. Then again this is only my experience as an MD student, PhD programs away from patient contact might have different expectations.

I basically concur, wear a tie. You can probably get away with nice jeans but I would say Khakis or better to be on the safe side. Also wear shoes that theoretically could be shined or at least don't say AIR on the side.

P.S. I'm assuming your a guy since I feel like most women have this stuff figured out by the time they need to pick an outfit for kindergarten graduation.

I basically concur, wear a tie. You can probably get away with nice jeans but I would say Khakis or better to be on the safe side. Also wear shoes that theoretically could be shined or at least don't say AIR on the side.

P.S. I'm assuming your a guy since I feel like most women have this stuff figured out by the time they need to pick an outfit for kindergarten graduation.

I am a female and women have this stuff figured out by the time they need to pick an outfit for kindergarten that is the funniest thing I have ever read!

fmri:

You nailed everything. Coming from the corporate world you hit every single nail. I have given and sat through so many presentations and NOTHING is more annoying than men that play with change or keys in their pocket. The sad thing is that they don't even know it.

The only thing I would add is play the devils advocate to try to figure out what questions they would ask and how you might attack them. Especially think through how you are going to answer a question that you don't know. Be confident, prepared, and respectful in your response but DO NOT act like you know something you don't. Good luck!

fmri:

Studebug has been tortured in the corporate world? Sorry to hear. :p

Oh yeah, let's continue the advice way beyond what to wear...

I tend to *thank* people for their question (especially when I have no clue where my answer might be heading or what the question is). This sets the tone of the discussion. If I honestly don't have a clue, I don't mind saying that. Not wanting to sound too much like a *****, I (having already thanked the person) turn the question back to the person asking. Saying something like "Thank you, this is a really important thing that has been puzzling me recently, too. I have not figured out how I plan to go about it, but since you are wondering about this now -- what would *you* suggest?" If it is a professor asking, add something like "You're the expert on it. I'd love to hear your thinking on X" so it is the other person's turn to say something.

What's also weird: no questions. Make sure a friend has a question lined up, or be ready to expand on a part of your project if there is an awkward silence at any point during Q & A.

Lastly, returning to the dress code for women in academia: it is a law that a woman should (1) never be better dressed than the alpha fashion female of the group and (2) always show some imperfection (as if you don't care what you look like because brains matter, not how you look).

You'll do just fine.