Drew/UCLA or Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinett

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have narrowed my decision down to these two medical schools. I am having a really hard time deciding. Does anyone have any insight about either school to help me make the decision? Thanks! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd definatly say Drew. IU has a extremely hard curriculum and it is in Indianapolis. Drew might have it's faults, but it definately would be better than IU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from California and I did my undergrad at UCLA. But I am concerned with the problems that the Drew hospital is having. IU has great clinical facilities and the faculty and students have been very supportive in my moving to Indiana from California.

bruinett said:
I am from California and I did my undergrad at UCLA. But I am concerned with the problems that the Drew hospital is having. IU has great clinical facilities and the faculty and students have been very supportive in my moving to Indiana from California.

I'm having the same concerns w/ Drew. Also from CA but debating b/t drew and Case Western.

drew=special mission/drew, county experience, ucla is amazing in many many ways, sunny california, research part of the curriculum, great people around you (at drew, ucla and the students), lots of resources, youll be homeeee. wow, i can go on and on.

what else do you want? the problems at the hospital are more concern for residents. you will only be there 3rd year and part of 4th. and you get an amazing county training (they make you do a lot of stuff...i know, i volunteered there), esp in ER and internal medicine. and plus, we are talking about 2 years down the road...no one knows what the situation will be then. btw, they are starting to build a new cancer center at drew.

:D Good luck with your two choices. They are both great schools. Try talking again to students from both schools and get their perspectives as well. You'll make the right choice!!! :luck:

exmike

Have you talked with anyone at Drew about the hospital's problems? Is that the only reason why you are not sure about attending?

bruinett said:
exmike

Have you talked with anyone at Drew about the hospital's problems? Is that the only reason why you are not sure about attending?

Pretty much, since your third year clerkships are key for residency placement. I've been told that you'll want to go to a school with excellent clerkships if you want to match competitively.

Everyone

Thanks for your input! Are there any med students out there from Indiana who would like to share their experiences?

go IU...

i'm in CA right in Irvine and I'm going to IU this fall. it's a great place, midwest atmosphere can be a breath of fresh air. I grew up in Indiana and went to college there too.

IU's got a good rep and it's top tier...then again are you paying out of state, cuz i'm paying in state since i'm technically an indiana resident. if you're a CA resident, maybe drew would be the better choice.

i heard this morning on NPR the condition of Martin Luther King, Jr. hospital. It sounds pretty bad. I definitely wouldn't wanna go there.

NDESTRUKT said:
i heard this morning on NPR the condition of Martin Luther King, Jr. hospital. It sounds pretty bad. I definitely wouldn't wanna go there.

umm. can you share with us what you heard? or what was the worst thing you heard?

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1872092

Martin Luther King Hospital

Morning Edition audio

May 5, 2004

Once the pride of African Americans in Los Angeles, Martin Luther King Hospital is now accused of making serious mistakes that have led to the deaths of five patients. The hospital rose out of the ashes of the 1965 Watts riots. Critics say racial politics have blocked previous reform efforts at the county-run hospital, which has been accused of substandard care in the past. NPR's Ina Jaffe reports.

Thanks for all your posts. They definitely give me a lot to think about. Is it possible that the hospital could be in a much better situation by Fall 2006 when clerkships would begin for my class? I am really interested in the program and would like to practice in CA in the future, so I am hoping things might get better. What do you guys think?

docmemi said:
umm. can you share with us what you heard? or what was the worst thing you heard?

this morning i heard that their neonatal dept is now not accredited by the AGME because of the state of the hospital. Also 3 other residency departments are on probation.

The link above is what NPR reported yesterday (Wed.). I heard both reports...troubling and sad.

docmemi said:

I posted the LATimes article in the other Drew Thread.