Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Hi all, I wanted to start this to see who interviewed this year and has heard back or still waiting or been accepted etc etc...

I know its a small program so I figured it would be helpful even if a small portion of us are on here.

I interviewed and am still waiting, would be great to hear from the rest!

mimivirus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i interviewed and was accepted..but i have withdrawn my acceptance so i hope that means good news for you :)

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Cool, thanks for the info. How long did it take them to get back to you, and how did they notify?

Thanks again!!

Congrats on your decision.

mimivirus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2007
Status
For me, my intvw was in early dec..and they notified me around feb 20-something--they called my cell phone :luck::luck:

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I inteviewed in February and I heard back in early April (waitlisted). Drew/UCLA is the school of my dreams! I really do sit and dream all day about Drew I love the school much :oops: I honestly don't see myself anywhere else. Awesome of you to start this thread Shifa!! When did you interview what is your status?

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
hey phoenix, I agree, Drew is awesome!! Do you have other choices in your pocket?

I interviewed in March and I have not heard back from them. Did it take them 4-6 weeks as they said to get back to you, and how did they notify you?

Did they tell you your ranking or any other info about the waitlist?

I hope we both get an acceptance, because it sounds like we would both matriculate!

valacious

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
So I interviewed in November and got my acceptance phone call in January. I just got back from second look day and from talking to people it seemed like it took about two months for everyone. It also seemed like there were a lot of people deciding between Drew/UCLA and UCLA PRIME or UCSF so there should be some movement on that waitlist. One girl said she didn't get the golden phone call until just before orientation last year. Good luck to everyone and hope to see you guys in July (yes, Drew orientation is the last week of July)!

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
hey valacious, thanks for the info. So you are going to Drew for sure? Did they say or do you know how many spots they have left?

Congrats!....and I would be just happy with getting accepted hours before the first day of class, I would be there in a heart beat!

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I also got waitlisted at slu and meharry so I am one of those just hanging in limbo. what about you? There is no ranking on the waitlist they just look at each applicant everytime a space opens up to my knowledge. I love Drew so much I hope we both get in too! Im totally with you, whenever that phone call comes I am so there! Oh and it took about two months for me to hear also since drew has to have meetings with their adcom and ucla's so it takes a bit for them to meet, hopefully you hear before May 15th, I believe there are a few spots open since I think they still had interviews on the 16th.

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
hey phoenix, as for me, its UC Davis or Drew at this point. But for both I have not heard anything, so it could be anything at this point. :(

Hopefully we get more people on here to get more info!

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
As far as I know, there are a few people on SDN accepted but it looked as if only 1 or 2 are for sure going.

valacious

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, busy weekend so sorry it took me awhile to post again. I'm just going to give you some completely uneducated guesses based on the feeling I got at second look day. I would say the class is probably about 75-100% full. There were about ten people at second look day and more who couldn't make it. Based on the people I talked to I would say around 50% will drop out to go somewhere else. This seems to be about average for med schools I met at least five people who were for sure going to go there. Again this is just a guess, but I would say the top ten people on the waitlist will probably get in but I remember reading somewhere that there was very little movement on the waitlist last year so I could be wrong. I'm not completely sure I'll be going there, OHSU is very close to my family and I really liked it when I visited there. They put me on hold so I might not have to make the decision, but I'm leaning towards Drew/UCLA anyway. I had a great time at their second look day, everyone there was so warm and welcoming and I felt like I would really click with my classmates. Hopefully you guys will be among them!

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
hey valacious, thanks for the info., very nice of you!:) But man, that was upsetting to hear:(, but if it is true that that many people will get off the waitlist, phoenix has a great shot. I wonder why they interviewed so many late in the game if they already gave out all the spots. I hope that I wasn't interviewing for a waitlist spot, but I am grateful in any case.

I am going to call them soon, so hopefully get some info. first hand. Have you phoenix, or any other people out there!? called and received any info?

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Well last year was a total nightmare. The consensus is that most schools over accepted and most accepted those acceptances so there was very little movement off the waitlist. I'm hearing through the grapevine that alot of schools have learned their lesson and are only accepting for spots available so it looks like this year there will be alot more movement off the waiting list. A girl can only hope! I don't believe you interview for a waitlist spot due to the situation at hand, plus they were interviewing though April. I believe there all still acceptances to be given out :D. I did hear only about 7 Drew students came to second look so valacious is on point with that. Also, alot of students got multiple acceptances to geffen, prime, ucsf etc. so odds are plenty are going to take acceptances there. So that gives us hope!

You can give Sandy a call and she can totally give you info on where you are in the process, she is super nice! Plus its not as busy as it has been over the last few months with match day, 2nd years freaking out about boards and third year, and the groundbreaking of the nursing building. I have called Sandy a few times and I am working on my LOI to send this week. Also, I contacted my interviewer, but I feel like a dork b/c I emailed her after I got waitlisted but it really was that I couldn't find her email anywhere, and once I found it I found out I was waitlisted. So now it looks like I only emailed her b/c I got waitlisted which wasn't the case, I'm not one of those folks who only contacted her due to my position, I honestly loved the interview! I just love Drew so much it makes my heartache. Newho since you haven't heard yet you can contact your interviewer and if you can't find their email Sandy can give it to you, just giving you a heads up so you don't look like a goofball like me! lol

valacious

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry to upset you unnecessarily Shifa, don't take anything I say too seriously, I really don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just giving my feel for things. I thought interviews finished before second look day so I now downgrade my estimate, I'd say the class is about 75% full, possibly even less. I remember reading that last year they told people when they were being interviewed for the waitlist so if they didn't tell you this there must be open spots. Phoenixwillrise is right about many students having multiple acceptances so there is a very good chance both of you will get in. Don't feel silly about emailing your interviewer, it seems like the program appreciates enthusiasm. If you did well in your one-on-one interview, it's an indication you still have a great chance of getting in. They weight the interview heavily and I know that's why I was accepted.

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Thx Valacious! You're awesome! I really hope we can be classmates too. I have been reading around and everyone is amazing. I think the class of 2012 is going to be the best, and I pray that I will joining all of you soon! I believe my group and individual interview went well and I honestly believe thats why I was waitlisted, all of my application was on point but my PS section on my MCAT was suspect, I even teach the Physical Sciences and for some reason on the MCAT it kicks my butt(oh the irony!). I know UCLA is really big on it. Thanks again valacious for the encouragement and congratulations on your acceptance! You truly deserve it.

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Awesome info guys! Thanks so much for that. Ya, I am totally unsure how my interview went. It was really short, and they didn't ask any of the standard questions like why Drew, why underserved, why medicine? I don't even think a single question was asked. Just looking over my application and pointing things out, so I just jumped in to talk about it. Everytime I think about it, I think I did bad, and the group interview I have no idea.

I remember saying something and then writing it on the board, then saw the observers immediately writing something down, I feel like I did something wrong. No clue.:(

Ya, I will call Sandy soon. My interviewer is an in house Drew person and I got my message across in the interview so I feel like an extra email might be repetative. But, enthusiasm is good.

I'll let you know when I talk to them, probably won't be for a couple weeks. I'll try to get some outsider info too.

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
My Drew interview was the same. I wasn't asked any of the traditional questions it was more a getting to know me session. With my interviewer we talked about why I majored in Philosophy, how that relates to my philosophy of life, medicine and working with underserved communities, my family support system, what I wanted to do for my senior thesis etc...

Concerning the group interview it really all depends on who you have as your group. Luckily for me, everyone worked well together as a group. As long as you spoke and what you said was meaningful that matters more than saying nothing at all or just saying something just b/c you have to talk. I believe that is very important and more so I assume that they are looking at how well you work in groups, your dedication to the mission, leadership qualities etc...

The group interview is not the say all end all, it is really used to find those who are dedicated to the mission in my opinion. Oh, and with the writing only one student is assigned to grade you and thats anonymous, so that might have been a coincidence. They might have been writing something great about you also!

UCLAalum

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I just found this thread today and am so happy that someone started it...it seems nearly impossible to find current info about drew/ucla on here! Anyway- i think i have some information that I can share with everyone...

I interviewed march 1st and am also on the alternate list (for the second time). I was informed of my status probably about 3 weeks ago via regular mail. Anyway- im a reapplicant for drew. I was wait-listed until the very last minute last year which I guess is a good thing because they were rejecting peole off of the wait-list mid-summer. I thought this year I would have better luck in terms of getting in right away rather than being wait-listed but it's all good...there's still hope! :) When I spoke with admissions a couple of weeks ago they told me the class was full but that it is still early so they expect movement in the wait-list. From last years trend, I can tell you there is a decent amount of movement until about June and then it starts to slow down but a spot does open up here and there. Anyway- good luck to everyone :luck: i feel those of you who are so passionate about the Drew program..it is definitely my first choice too!

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I wonder how many people they are putting on the waiting list??????

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
I am bummed by this news, but hopefully something good will come. God willing!

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
So I talked to an already accepted student and they said similarly to what others are saying: close to if not all of the 24 spots have been given out and they are waiting to see who drops on May 15th.

Anyone willing to call to find out more info? I am going to call at my 6 week mark from my interview if you want to wait.

Has anyone been rejected? I wonder if everyone goes to waitlist.

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
there are close to 700 views on this post, i was never a person to join SDN, but trust to those out there, it is nice to talk to others in the same situation, so come out and play!

The more info we can trade the better.

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Seriously where is everyone??? I know there are folks out there who either go to Drew/UCLA, accepted or waitlisted I would love to hear from all of you! Let's bring some life back to this thread :D
there are close to 700 views on this post, i was never a person to join SDN, but trust to those out there, it is nice to talk to others in the same situation, so come out and play!

The more info we can trade the better.

mimivirus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2007
Status
sorry i have no info! cept that my withdrawal was processed and became official earlier this week. another friend of mine said that they also officially withdrew.... just wanted to send :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: vibes to u guys...waiting sucks but drew really is awesome =)

MsJLewis

Retired Pre-med
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Just letting you all know that I'm withdrawing my acceptance from Drew/UCLA. I really liked the program, the people, the mission, and UCLA is amazing... but they weren't giving me much money and I'm OOS! I hope it goes to one of you! Good luck!

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
:) ---> :D

I was so happy to see our thread on the 1st page of SDN after so long! I feel like I am such the underdog in this whole process, so it brought a smile to my face. But the withdraws made me smile even more! I don't even know if I am on the waitlist, I could be rejected for all I know, but its still good news! More people need to join the thread!

:) ---> :D

labelfree

UCLA Class of 2013!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
hello kids!! i have been viewing this thread but not contributing. so here goes!

well, i think mimivirus was talking about me? i officially withdrew from drew/ucla two days ago. so thats one more spot.. i also know other students who have or will be withdrawing too. so there's more hope!!! good luck guys!!

drew/ucla is awesome! keep the hope! and its a matter of just waiting.. hang in there.

best wishes everyone!!

UCLAalum

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Did any of you who withdrew from Drew/UCLA accept a UCLA Prime position? Just wondering :) I am wait-listed at both schools...would be ecstatic with either!!! :luck:

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I have talked to 1 or 2 who are going to prime UCLA Alum. Hey shifa! Have you heard yet? The day of reckoning is coming upon us! Hahaha, I laugh but only to hide my fear :confused: I hope we hear from Drew soon I love that them so much and since im for norcal im going to say it, I HELLA love Drew!!!!

America = The New Texas
10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2007
Status
just wanted to wish all those waiting the best of luck. drew is, indeed, an amazing program. i know for a fact that several people are turning down drew spots for other schools as well as for spots in the PRIME program. so, there should be some movement after may 15. keep hanging in there, and remember to update admissions with new grades, happenings, LOR's, and letters of intent! :D

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
thanks for the info guys, for those who got waitlisted, how did you hear? did they send you a letter about 4-6 weeks after?

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
they are starting to call people with acceptances!

Phoenixwillrise

Hoping and Praying
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I still havent heard anything so a whole lot of nada on my end so more waiting for me yippie!....Congrats Shifa, glad your wait is over!!!

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
i found out another drew student is withdrawing for ucla prime, so hope it goes to u guys waiting!

bostonmedical

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
i found out another drew student is withdrawing for ucla prime, so hope it goes to u guys waiting!

In order to be un UCLA Drew you have to be in PRIME??
I thought PRIME meant that you were doing a 5 year dual degree program. If you are in PRIME you can specialize at DREW but you don't have to be in PRIME to be in Drew right?

Congratulations to all of you.

mimivirus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2007
Status
bostonmedical: you are right--ucla has ucla david geffen, ucr, ucla-drew, ucla-prime, and the mstp program

i think ucla-drew normally has a class of 24 students

this year ucla prime was a class of 18: 10 in ucla-prime-david geffen, 4 in ucla-prime-drew, and 4 in ucla-prime-ucr

this means that in addition to the 24 in drew, there are 4 more prime-drew students from the prime program.they will do things with prime, AND drew..

is that confusing?? it is a little bit...haha but i hope that helps...

OP
S

Shifa

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
pheonix or uclaalum, heard anything? im hoping you guys do, i don't think the class is full, good luck!