Drew/UCLA public or private?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aria111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey- i'm considering interviewing at Drew later this month, but i don't know if the school is public or private. any one know?
also, do you have any clue what tuition at Drew is, or what students' average debt comes to by graduation?
thanks!
-ria

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by aria111:
•hey- i'm considering interviewing at Drew later this month, but i don't know if the school is public or private. any one know?
also, do you have any clue what tuition at Drew is, or what students' average debt comes to by graduation?
thanks!
-ria•••••damn...you applied to DREW without knowing what it's all about? I find that hard to believe....anyways Charles R. Drew University is a public institution due to its affiliation with MLK Jr LA County hospital. Also, DREW students pay the same fees as UCLA students due to the fact that the program is a JOINT effort between UCLA and DREW. Check out ucla's website and you can get more info there...if you need anything else (i.e. how was the interview?) PM me, take care

hey dr. don- thanks for your reply.
I know a bit about drew, as i am interested in working with underserved populations, and applied to drew for this reason, but i'm torn as to whether i want to go to the interview this late in the game. I'm sort of burnt out. what were your impressions of the school, the education, the people? Is tuition at drew like the UCs (approx $10,000/yr)?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
could you apply to both drew/ucla and regular ucla and get interviews/acceptances to both (assuming you're super good)? or is it just either or?

I thought the school was nice, the surrounding area is kind of getto, but it's all good. the students there seem to like it alot. you can't beat the tuition and like I said, DREW students do the first two years at UCLA med with UCLA med students. There is nothing different about the curriculum during the first two years. the last two you do them at martin luther king hospital, which I think it's great. The population that that hospital treats is mainly underserved. I personally got a great vibe from them and I hope to be there next year. It's not that late in the game seeing that they have only accepted about half of their class. so go for it! unless you already got in somewhere else where you might feel more comfortable in. Well take care aria and for coenocyte, you can apply to both programs but ultimately you will have to choose one program if accepted to both, late

You can get into both schools and yes...it's a public school, just like UCLA.