drew/ucla secondary

Started by jdub
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jdub

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello,

i just got a secondary from this program, does anybody know if they actually do any screening or if they send secondaries out to everybody?

i'm not a urm, but i have lived in ecuador and i can speak spanish okay, so i am kind of wondering if it is worth my while to send in the secondary?
 
In the Drew/UCLA program, 24 students are trained for the first two years at UCLA, then physically in the third and fourth years at Charles Drew University/Martin Luther King Hospital. The mission is to identify candidates for admission who have demonstrated that they are committed to working in underserved communities as a physician.

In California, there is great need for Spanish speaking physicians.
 
What does the Drew secondary ask? How is it structured, etc?

thanks for the help
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They ask LOTS of questions about your activities and commitment to working with the underserved, including your background/childhood. I spent a week on this one.
 
Are they generally more selective than the other UCs? I heard they were. Drew seems to be one of the more difficult schools to really research. I haven't been able to extract much from their website.
 
I know nothing about Drew, but I would say the UCs in general retain their level of selectivity from undergad admissions, excepting UCSF of course. Thus in terms of GPA/MCAT stats...SF>LA>SD>D>I
 
If you are still interested in Drew, they invite you to call them at 323/563 4960. This information is in the MSAR.