Drew/UCLA v. UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Winston Smith

i didn't do it
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only difference I know is that the Drew/UCLA program is geared towards helping the disadvantaged or underprivileged. But is one program easier to get into than the other?
 
Yes, Drew is easier. (assuming you have activities that show you want to help the disadvantaged)
 
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jalbrekt:
•Yes, Drew is easier. (assuming you have activities that show you want to help the disadvantaged)•••••is it easier? i thought they only had 24 spots
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Number of spots is less important than average GPA and MCAT in terms of determining ease of acceptance.
 
How hard/easy it is to get in to each program depends on how many applicants there are each year to each program. It also depends on your peers that also apply in the same application cycle. I applied and interviewed at both. I hear that Drew interviews about 200 students for about 50 acceptances. I don't know UCLA's stats. When I went to the Drew interview, there were many interviewees that didn't get a UCLA interview. I don't know if that is a reflection on each school's philosophy in admissions, or what. I can tell you that almost all of the interviewees (~25) at Drew were minority, and many were second-time applicants. All seemed dedicated to serving underserved communities. You would have to want to do this type of work if you apply to Drew. The clinical training is at King-Drew medical center, and almost all of the patients I saw when I toured were either African-American or Hispanic of some sort. You may also see some aspects of these populations if you are at UCLA, but this is about all you will see at Drew. So far, I received an acceptance from UCLA, but have yet heard from Drew. I'm not even sure if this answers your question. Good luck in the application process.