Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Isn't the Drew/UCLA program a joint program? I want to apply to it, but on the AMCAS website Drew and UCLA are listed separately. Does anyone know about this?

Members don't see this ad.

if i understood correctly, it's the drew/ucla joint program, and then ucla separately. two different "schools" for amcas.

Drew = Drew/UCLA
UCLA = UCLA (soon to be Geffen, i think) --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it's already geffen, isn't it? kind of like usc-keck? ucla-geffen? or maybe i just made that up, lol..

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA...ouch, it just doesn't right, but I'll take it anyway! ;)

UCLA School of Medicine is now known as the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

UCLA has parterned with the Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Sciences and the University of California, Riverside in the education of medical students. Therefore there are three medical education programs that exist at UCLA: (1) UCLA, (2) Drew-UCLA, and (3) UCLA-UCRiverside.

The UCLA program is listed as UCLA on AMCAS. Students spend their first two years at UCLA, and complete their 3rd and 4th year rotations at UCLA & affiliated hospitals.

The Drew-UCLA Program is listed as DREW-UCLA on AMCAS. Students spend their first two years at UCLA, and complete their 3rd and 4th year rotations at the Drew-MLK & affiliated hospitals.

The UCLA-UCRiverside Program is not listed on AMCAS. Students apply to the program during highschool. 250-300 students are admitted to this program and each year a number of students are selected to continue the program. The twenty five students who survive this "competitive" process complete their undergraduate education in three years and receive their two years of basic clinical sciences at UC Riverside. They complete their 3rd and 4th year rotations at UCLA & affiliated hospitals.

So does it look bad then if you apply to both the Drew/UCLA and the UCLA program?

I imagine that the Drew degree is still UCLA right?