Drexel DPMS 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkle23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone apply?

Members don't see this ad.

hey there, it seems like we have applied to many similar programs!! Have you received any news about being complete??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey nlachhman and escesc, I'm applying to Drexel's DPMS and GEMS too!

Hey Guys!:)
I'm in DPMS now. If you have any questions about the program let me know :D

communitymd,

Q: Do you know, approx. how long does it take for the adcoms to review one's application? I sent my complete application last January. The application fee has probably being seating there, at their office for quite some time now, given that the money has not being withdrawn from my account. I called, no one answered and have repeatedly email them w/ no results. It is getting very frustrating that no one seems to be there at any time. Anyhow, does it seem to be a good idea to apply right away to med school, basically as you are stepping into the program, or to wait for the following cycle? Are classes held only during the day? Is it possible to have a part-time? Thank you for just reading these questions.

communitymd,

Q: Do you know, approx. how long does it take for the adcoms to review one's application?

It takes them a while. If I remember correctly I sent my application in a few weeks before the due date and I didnt get an interview until the second week of May. After that there were still some people who were interviewing after me. It has to go from the directors office who screens them and then to the medical school who decides who gets interviews (as this is your medical school interview if you get into the program). They are also trying to fill their class for the fall and are doing interviews for that now so patience is key. lol. I totally understand your frustration..I was in the same place last year.:cool:

Anyhow, does it seem to be a good idea to apply right away to med school, basically as you are stepping into the program, or to wait for the following cycle?

When you get into the program (im a positive thinker :D) you cant be actively applying to medical school. If you complete the program you can chose not to go to Drexel and apply elsewhere the summer after you complete the program, but while you are in the program you cant be applying.

Are classes held only during the day?

Yes classes are held only during the day.

Is it possible to have a part-time?

Some in the DPMS class last year had a part time job a tutor, but most of the people dont have jobs. Your job while in the program is to get into medical school.

You're welcome anymore questions feel free to ask!

communitymd,

Q: Do you know, approx. how long does it take for the adcoms to review one's application?

It takes them a while. If I remember correctly I sent my application in a few weeks before the due date and I didnt get an interview until the second week of May. After that there were still some people who were interviewing after me. It has to go from the directors office who screens them and then to the medical school who decides who gets interviews (as this is your medical school interview if you get into the program). They are also trying to fill their class for the fall and are doing interviews for that now so patience is key. lol. I totally understand your frustration..I was in the same place last year.:cool:

Anyhow, does it seem to be a good idea to apply right away to med school, basically as you are stepping into the program, or to wait for the following cycle?

When you get into the program (im a positive thinker :D) you cant be actively applying to medical school. If you complete the program you can chose not to go to Drexel and apply elsewhere the summer after you complete the program, but while you are in the program you cant be applying.

Are classes held only during the day?

Yes classes are held only during the day.

Is it possible to have a part-time?

Some in the DPMS class last year had a part time job a tutor, but most of the people dont have jobs. Your job while in the program is to get into medical school.

You're welcome anymore questions feel free to ask!

You mentioned that we can't apply to other schools during DPMS, why is that? Is it just because of the busy schedule or that the program forbid you from applying to other medical school ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight. It was very helpful. I was wondering if you applied to UConn's post bac, GEMS at Georgetown, or SIU Med Prep in Illinois?

Thanks for the insight. It was very helpful. I was wondering if you applied to UConn's post bac, GEMS at Georgetown, or SIU Med Prep in Illinois?

I did not apply to any of those programs. I wanted to apply to GEMS, but they said I couldn't since I was not actively seeking admission to medical school. One of my friends is at GEMS though and she really likes it.:) But DPMS is the way to go!!! I'm not biased or anything:cool:

I did not apply to any of those programs. I wanted to apply to GEMS, but they said I couldn't since I was not actively seeking admission to medical school. One of my friends is at GEMS though and she really likes it.:) But DPMS is the way to go!!! I'm not biased or anything:cool:

Why did they say that, I'm curious? What does it take to be "actively seeking"?

Thanks for the response communitymd. I'm glad you like DPMS, and I'm very excited to be applying. Was your interview stressful/difficult?

Has anyone heard anything back? or gotten their completion postcard?

Has anyone heard anything back? or gotten their completion postcard?

The last time I checked I hadn't received a completion card, but I have called the office. I found out that my app is there and I guess being reviewed. Call 215-762-4692 and press 8..you'll be directed to someone who can help you. Just let her know that you have applied to DPMS and would like to ensure your application is complete and has been received...hope this helps : )

Why did they say that, I'm curious? What does it take to be "actively seeking"?

actively seeking means that you are in the process of applying to medical school. I did not apply to medical school at all, I just filled out the AMCAS to send to post bacc programs

it was very laid back. I didnt think I performed too well as it was my first interview ever, but obviously it wasn't that bad, or i wouldn't be in the program. lol. just be yourself and talk about the topics in medicine your passionate about and you will shine!

Hi, I'm applying to DPMS, GEMS, and UConn FY Minority. I wish everyone the best and it's definitely a pleasure to see folks like us trying to break the mold.

Btw, anyone here from Camden or SJ?

it's girl...:D

TO ALL MY FELLOW DPMS applicants: I AM SO TIRED OF WAITING TO SEE WHERE I WILL END UP....everywhere I applied to (gems etc) gives you final decisions in like late May or June IF you get an interview this coming April or May. This has been a year long wait..since AMCAS..literally....can anyone feel my pain? :eek: :)

I would place this wait right up there with the month-long for MCAT scores. Pure torture.

actively seeking means that you are in the process of applying to medical school. I did not apply to medical school at all, I just filled out the AMCAS to send to post bacc programs

I see, so you just filled it out without having it verified right?

Kev, i know one of the requirements for GEMS is that the AMCAS app must be verified. The website says you'll know it's verified when the "AMCAS use only" column is filled with various symbols in the transcript part.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey all I applied to DPMS late last year, and interviewed on 20 March. There were only 4 of us there to interview and the day was pretty relaxed. Although the interviewers did not seem to know much about the program they were interviewing me for.

Hope that everyone here hears something soon.

Hey all I applied to DPMS late last year, and interviewed on 20 March. There were only 4 of us there to interview and the day was pretty relaxed. Although the interviewers did not seem to know much about the program they were interviewing me for.

Hope that everyone here hears something soon.

Thanks for the info Aliziry. Hope you get in.

exactly. I actually just finished my application a few days ago. If you fulfill the contract you have to fill it out to become a first year next year.:D

Does anyone know when the start contacting students?

hi nlachhman, based on what i've read in searches, they start the bulk of the interviews in late April and May. However, some folks already got invited like Aliziry up there.

Here's to hoping I see everyone in this thread in June. Cheers!

hi maxim thanks for the info....I couldn't help myself and I called them. They said my application has just been sent over for review to the committee, if they want to extend an interview they will contact by email or telephone. I asked her how long the review process takes and they said "it was at their leisure" basically. She said that they have already begun to contact people (I read aliziry's info incorrectly).

Well good luck everyone, I'll def let you know if I hear anything....:)

Good luck on that review.

btw, Dr. Walker wrote me back in early February and she said they were reviewing my app. It's probably not a good sign that it's almost 2 months later and I have not heard anything yet. Can only wait and see. :scared:

hey! Thanks for the info...I just called that number and spoke with Tanisha and I am complete. She said I should hear in two weeks regarding my application...Yikes! Not sure if that is good or bad or means nothing....

Did they tell you the same thing when you called?

Hey nlachhman, I just called Drexel today. I spoke with a woman, I don't know if it was Tanisha or not, who told me that my app has been reviewed by Dr. Walker. After she reads apps, she codes them (scores them i guess) and decides to send them to the med school admissions committee. After they are forward to the med school, it is out of Dr. Walker's hands. The med school committe then reviews the app and decides to contact you. I wasn't given an expected date to hear back from them because it is completely at the med school's discression. Hope this helps everyone and that we hear something soon : )

I recently spoke to Tanisha and she said that I should hear something within two to three weeks. I was hoping/expecting to hear back sooner, but I guess that is out of the question. I also asked her what the future interview dates will be, but unfortunately she didn't know. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey nlachhman, I just called Drexel today. I spoke with a woman, I don't know if it was Tanisha or not, who told me that my app has been reviewed by Dr. Walker. After she reads apps, she codes them (scores them i guess) and decides to send them to the med school admissions committee. After they are forward to the med school, it is out of Dr. Walker's hands. The med school committe then reviews the app and decides to contact you. I wasn't given an expected date to hear back from them because it is completely at the med school's discression. Hope this helps everyone and that we hear something soon : )

Hi PynkPreemie,

Do you mind sharing when you sent in your application?

Just keep faith and it will happen for you in due time...:) They could be waiting for a decent pile before they start sending out the next batch of invites...who knows...

Thanks. That's very insightful actually. I bet they do do that - wait for them to pile up so as not to waste time for 1 or 2 candidates on any given day. I know at my job we did that so it definitely makes sense.

Watchin the inbox and cellie like a hawk :D