Drexel DPMS 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they're interviewing you it's a great sign NKB so I'd say your chances are great.

Hi all, I just got an email today to interview on May 11th and i'm really excited and nervous. Prior to today I got an email saying that my application was competitive but I still needed a recommendation from a professor. I've been out of college for 5 yrs and went to CCP for organic, but have not been able to get in touch with the professor for a recommendation. I'm not sure what to do. There really is no other way to get an academic recommendation other than this guy. I've called and emailed him to no avail. Any ideas of what I can do? I was suprised to see that I got an invite to interview without having the recommendation in. I also was accepted into Ross University in Dominica for the Sept 09 class and I guess thats my back up plan, but I would really like to get into this program so I don't have to become the dreaded FMG/IMG. I just wanted to gage my chances of getting in and was wondering if ppl could give there stats.. mine are 3.7GPA, 20M mcat, 5 yrs experience working in mental health both in a psych hospital and a community mental health center. Sorry about the long post it's my first one.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree.

And I started reading through 2008 posts and they started sending out acceptances on May 22nd. Guess we can start expecting something around that time window.

Last edited:
I saw someone wrote earlier that nobody will be accepted with a high MCAT. I had a 31Q and am a URM and got an interview on either the 18th or 21st. Why would they interview me if my MCAT is already above their limits (and who punishes someone for doing well on the MCAT?)?.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw someone wrote earlier that nobody will be accepted with a high MCAT. I had a 31Q and am a URM and got an interview on either the 18th or 21st. Why would they interview me if my MCAT is already above their limits (and who punishes someone for doing well on the MCAT?)?.

No one is pinished for doing well on the MCAT! In ur case, if u get accepted u won't have to take the MCAT class, instead ull take immuno..I think the low MCAT post was for the many students that don't realize this program is for academic enhancement for students whose app may not have been strong enough to stand alone.. A lot of people apply who have decent GPAs and MCATs

Classes start June 15th and still no notice. Cutting it kinda close, dont you guys think? It's almost June already!

I just had my interview today and I get the feeling we're gonna find out very early next week. For all you waiting for the news, Drexel was probably waiting until they completed the interviews before they make final acceptances and I believe today was the final interview date. They told us that approx 50 or 60 interviewed for 25 spots.

most people who get into the program have GPA's close to 3.0 and MCAT scores around 20-23. its designed for people who need to boost their academic transcript. you arent penalized for having a good mcat score or GPA, but the program isnt for you anyway. if you have a stellar GPA then you should spend the summer studying for the MCAT and apply to schools for the following year. the program is really difficult to fulfill, less than 60% of the 25 actually end up completing their contract (3.0 GPA 23 MCAT = acceptance to drexel's med) mostly due to the GPA requirement. you are competing with the medical school, and their average becomes a B. usually that is around a 84%. so basically you need to beat out 50% of the med school to just get a B for biochem and physiology. The other two courses are pharmacology and anatomy, which are no jokes either, but have a straight grading scale. On top of that while you are stressing those courses you have to cram MCAT physical sciences and practice verbal. the bio comes easy because you basically study for that all year minus the orgo. but not fulfilling the contract is by no means the end of the world. most people who miss it close end up applying the next year and get into many DO/MD schools. any more questions, PM me.

Tru thanks for enlightening us on this aspect. I have been to a few of the minority early assurance program interviews and, by far, DPMS seems like the most difficult program based on current/past student feedback at the interview. I distinctly remember one of the students saying an 80 on a test wont cut it sometimes here. Moreover, I think the 60% success rate is further proof of how challenging DPMS is. (GEMS, Wake, OSU all have 80%+ success rates.)

If you could tell us what worked for you, that would be cool.
most people who get into the program have GPA's close to 3.0 and MCAT scores around 20-23. its designed for people who need to boost their academic transcript. you arent penalized for having a good mcat score or GPA, but the program isnt for you anyway. if you have a stellar GPA then you should spend the summer studying for the MCAT and apply to schools for the following year. the program is really difficult to fulfill, less than 60% of the 25 actually end up completing their contract (3.0 GPA 23 MCAT = acceptance to drexel's med) mostly due to the GPA requirement. you are competing with the medical school, and their average becomes a B. usually that is around a 84%. so basically you need to beat out 50% of the med school to just get a B for biochem and physiology. The other two courses are pharmacology and anatomy, which are no jokes either, but have a straight grading scale. On top of that while you are stressing those courses you have to cram MCAT physical sciences and practice verbal. the bio comes easy because you basically study for that all year minus the orgo. but not fulfilling the contract is by no means the end of the world. most people who miss it close end up applying the next year and get into many DO/MD schools. any more questions, PM me.

I just want a decision already so that I can apply again if need be. This waiting is bloody torture.

what's the word peeps? any news yet? I'm so anxious right now that it's not even funny.:xf:

I can't take this waiting anymore I just want to know already. I thought they would let us know today so I kept checking my email every hour. Has anyone heard anything yet?

I can't take this waiting anymore I just want to know already. I thought they would let us know today so I kept checking my email every hour. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Nothing. It has to be this week. They need to give us at least 2 weeks notice at a minmum to find housing, arrange movin, etc.

Nothing. It has to be this week. They need to give us at least 2 weeks notice at a minmum to find housing, arrange movin, etc.

Dr. Walker said that last year they let people know as late as 3 days before the program started. They provide housing for the first 6 wks so I guess they think it's ok to let people know so late, which is really unfair. I checked my email this am and still nothing. I think i'm going to call later this afternoon if I don't hear anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Walker said that last year they let people know as late as 3 days before the program started. They provide housing for the first 6 wks so I guess they think it's ok to let people know so late, which is really unfair. I checked my email this am and still nothing. I think i'm going to call later this afternoon if I don't hear anything.

Let us know what they say, nkb.

I got my acceptance thru email last year around may 22. It's not really in Dr Walker's hands after the interview. The adcom meets usually on thursdays and I remember getting the email late thurs afternoon. it sucks having to wait especially since you start in about 2 weeks, but i'm sure you guys would drop whatever job/classes you had planned to be in this better situation. the summer program isnt the most important thing in the world, we had someone come off the waitlist about a week into the program so if you dont hear anything this week it doesnt mean its over yet!

Let us know what they say, nkb.

I emailed one of the interviewers (Dr. Soslau) yesterday being that Dr. Walker is so hard to get a hold of. He said that no decisions have been made about any of the applicants to date (yesterday at 3:55pm)... He said we should be hearing "soon" but he cant give an exact day...:(

I called Dr. Walker but only got her voice mail. Hopefully she'll call me back.

I emailed one of the interviewers (Dr. Soslau) yesterday being that Dr. Walker is so hard to get a hold of. He said that no decisions have been made about any of the applicants to date (yesterday at 3:55pm)... He said we should be hearing "soon" but he cant give an exact day...:(

Oh really thanks for the info so maybe tomorrow we'll learn our fate!

I called Dr. Walker but only got her voice mail. Hopefully she'll call me back.

haha. she is notorious for not getting back to her phone calls. best way to reach her is really thru email

Has anyone heard anything yet? Monday is June 1st so that means we'll have less than 2 wks to get ready if they don't let us know by today.

the funny thing is that my lease expires this Sunday. so i don't know if i should tell my landlord that i wish to renew my lease or get it prorated for 14days.
hopefully we hear something today. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

the funny thing is that my lease expires this Sunday. so i don't know if i should tell my landlord that i wish to renew my lease or get it prorated for 14days.
hopefully we hear something today. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Nothing on my end neither. This $h!t is unbelievable, my lease expires next week. Never thought it would take this damn long.

Wow, never saw this coming. Accepted just now via email.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
i got in!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Im in too.

Cheers!!!

There is a God because I got in! Now I need to pack my stuff, end my lease, quit my job, and move from Los Angeles to Philly. I can't wait to meet you all.

I'm in too just checked my email and what do you know it went to my spam folder instead of inbox. Congrats to all who were accepted see ya in 2 wks!

:)Congrats all!!!!! I'm still looking out for mine, hope I'll b in Philly with you all.:)

Anyone from the May 11th interview group get in?

Wow I guess im the only person who interviewed 20 March. But it feels good to finally have an answer.

Wow I guess im the only person who interviewed 20 March. But it feels good to finally have an answer.

Wow so u've really had a long wait. I thought 3 wks was rough.

I lived in Philly for 4 yrs and recently moved back home to Md 6 months ago now it's back to Philly, which i'm not too thrilled about. Where are you guys from?

hey guys, congrats on getting in! if you have any questions about deciding to attend or anything let me know.

hey guys, congrats on getting in! if you have any questions about deciding to attend or anything let me know.

I know I'm definitely going to attend. I was wondering if you had any words of wisdom though. And if u don't mind where do u live? I'm already looking for an apt but the ones close to campus are expansive. Any suggestions?

I know I'm definitely going to attend. I was wondering if you had any words of wisdom though. And if u don't mind where do u live? I'm already looking for an apt but the ones close to campus are expansive. Any suggestions?

I would also love some tips on cheap apartments. Also is there a meal plan included for students during the summer session.

I would also love some tips on cheap apartments. Also is there a meal plan included for students during the summer session.

nope. no meal plan. all we need to worry about is feed ourselves for 6 wks.

pecola, where r u from?

Right now I'm living in Florida, but I am originally from NY.

Ok I remember u. Your parents drove u from NY and then u guys were driving to Fl right? MS in biochem? I was the last female to come in the rm. I wonder if anyone else from our interview group made it.

By cheap apt what price range r u looking for? You can get a cheaper apt 575-650 for a 1 br but it probably won't be the nicest area. The apts close to the medical campus are pretty expansive more like 750-950 for a 1 br, unless ur gonna get a roommate then the rent would prob be about 550-600 per person. Philly is a really old city so alot of the apts are also really old so if u want a newer apt thats also gonna cost alot more. I'm looking at apt in the northeast and some parts of germantown.

Yeh that was me and I remember you too :)
So happy we are going to be dpms buddies. My issue is that I do not have a car and I want to live close to school but I want to live in a safe area. I am looking on craigslist. What are some of the safe neighborhoods which are close to the med school and also besides craigslist, what other sites should I use?

We were placed in meyers hall last summer. The building is quite awful, you are given a small double much like undergrad of freshman year. But at the same time, its free, so you cant really complain. You have to get your own source of food, and there are a lot of places to get that around there. Most of us lived in Stiles hall (center city) because its a 2 min walk from where all of the classes were. Just wait a few weeks to meet other people in the program who you think are cool enough to room with and get a 2/3 bdrm. A few people lived around the Queen Lane area, and although it will be a bit cheaper you will need to take a 20 min shuttle ride to center city that only runs weekdays. so unless you are bringing a car I wouldnt recommend it.

Hello future peers. I got accepted too. I kinda wanted to apologize. I couldn't make it to the may 11 or 21 interviews so I was allowed to make it up this passed Thursday (5/28). I was the last for the DPMS program...and the only person interviewing that day (kinda scary). The committee was going to discuss those who were accepted right after my interview, so perhaps if I had actually been responsible and made it to my interview you all would have known about your acceptances sooner...sorry for being lame. But I'm stoked to meet you all and can't wait to start. WOOO. all the Philly cheese steaks i can put in my stomach. WOOO.