Drexel IMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got into Drexel IMS. Would someone give me info please???
I heard lots of students don't even go to classes. Is that advisable? What about housing? I heard stiles is not good. Where do most IMS students stay? How are the students that go to the program??? Is studying a possiblity?

Thanks So much

I saw a thread for MSP, thought will start one for IMS

Members don't see this ad.

sfgirl said:
I heard lots of students don't even go to classes. Is that advisable? What about housing? I heard stiles is not good. Where do most IMS students stay? How are the students that go to the program??? Is studying a possiblity?

Thanks So much

i'm waiting to hear back from them...i cant imagine that missing class is advisable. would you mind letting me know what your stats are/when you applied/got accepted? it would help me out alot...thanks!

sfgirl said:

Thanks So much

My opinion:

Alot of students don't go to class,thats true but you need to decide what works for you, it helped me tremendously to stay on the lecture schedule and attend class as much as possible. If you get behind its tremendously difficult to catch up and can be disasterous.

Most IMS students do live in Stiles, I personally didnt but it certainly would have been easier. The rooms are nice esp. compared to what you would get in the city for the same price. Remeber all your uts., cable and internet are included in the price for Stiles

Everyone in the program this year was very cool. Its not a competive environment and people really do study together and help each other out as much as they resonably can. That said everyone was very focused on doing well (it is your last chance) but we definately got out and had a good time too.

You will study... all the time... the library is your new best friend...

hope this helps.
~pegasis

Members don't see this ad :)
Pegasis said it all. Where did you get Stiles sucks from? I practically spent two years on a couch at Stiles and had a good time. I would have rather had a place in Stiles than paying high Philly rents and being much farther from school.

PegasisGMS said:
My opinion:

Alot of students don't go to class,thats true but you need to decide what works for you, it helped me tremendously to stay on the lecture schedule and attend class as much as possible. If you get behind its tremendously difficult to catch up and can be disasterous.

Most IMS students do live in Stiles, I personally didnt but it certainly would have been easier. The rooms are nice esp. compared to what you would get in the city for the same price. Remeber all your uts., cable and internet are included in the price for Stiles

Everyone in the program this year was very cool. Its not a competive environment and people really do study together and help each other out as much as they resonably can. That said everyone was very focused on doing well (it is your last chance) but we definately got out and had a good time too.

You will study... all the time... the library is your new best friend...

hope this helps.
~pegasis

Speaking of library...or libraries...did you use the lib at Queen Lane often/at all? I was trying to figure out the different resources offered, and when (if ever) I would need to use the shuttle bus :)

one of my friends goes there, she said she doesnt recommend it. but it is a great program, however. 6 med school classes is tough. one thing i dont like is not being awarded a M.S. in one year, i guess they did that to pad the fact that many students will require a glide year anyway and so they should go on and get their masters. id personally use that glide year for other ventures. i dont know how much i can stand a straight 22 years of schooling (12 years of elementary+high school)+4 years college+2 years of SMP+4 years med school. that extra year could be a nice break in between :)

palmtree said:
i'm waiting to hear back from them...i cant imagine that missing class is advisable. would you mind letting me know what your stats are/when you applied/got accepted? it would help me out alot...thanks!
My stats were 29 on the MCAT- not very good GPA. Perhaps 3.0 science.

Airzonk said:
Pegasis said it all. Where did you get Stiles sucks from? I practically spent two years on a couch at Stiles and had a good time. I would have rather had a place in Stiles than paying high Philly rents and being much farther from school.
Heard from people who were in the program. Perhaps I should send in my app for Stiles. It would be easier.

Please give me any pointer you can. I could use all the help, this being one chance I have been given when I had lost all hope.

Hello all future IMSers! I'll be heading to Philly for the fall.
Suggestions on places to stay would be nice. Is it a good idea to stay close to campus instead of living more in the suburbs?

I was also wondering what a typical IMS day was like- When do classes begin/end?

Hey other IMS'ers. My fiancee and I are moving out from California mid-July, and have figured out it costs about the same to rent a truck as it does to buy, ship, and fly out. Anybody else want to share some costs? We are coming out of California from Fresno up to

Sacramento-->Reno-->Salt Lake-->Cheyenne-->Omaha-->Des Moines-->Chicago-->Brunswick-->Philly

Leaving around the 13th or so of July (lease starts on the 15th).

Contact me if you're interested

[email protected]

Hey everybody, I was just out in Philly to look for housing, and signed for a great 2-bedroom ACROSS THE STREET from the med school in one of the large houses. My fiancee and I are planning to share the larger bedroom, and we're looking for a male or female roommate for the second bedroom.

We're asking for $450 (out of $1100 total rent) and a third of utilities.

The place is run by a very nice Greek grandmother who has been renting out to med students for quite a few years now. The place is well kept, smells good, and is quite large for what you'd expect. The living room itself is at least 20x20 with a large bay window. It's on the second floor with a side entrance if you're worried about unwanted visitors. It comes with a full kitchen and refrigerator. The previous residents had cable and phone hookups installed. The best part about the place (besides the space) is location, since the medical school is literally across Queen Lane, and the main entrance is about 100 yards down the sidewalk. It would be ideal for anybody who is taking classes at the Queen Lane campus or takes the Drexel Shuttle to Center City.

I'm enrolled in the IMS post-bacc program this year and will be taking school very seriously. My fiancee will be working and going to school herself. We're definately not partyers, but we're very considerate and like company.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your summer,

-Buck

[email protected]

Photos of the place available online, just email me and I will send you a link

Hey everyone! My app is still under review, but should I gain admission, I'm gonna have a tough decision. I'm accepted at RFU, and currently planning to attend that program. Does anyone know what the matriculation rate is for the IMS program w/ no lag year? I heard somewhere if you get a 3.0 they guaruntee you an interview at drexel med.

Basically, whichever program gives me the best shot at admission into their med school for fall 2007 is the program i'm gonna go to. Do most people who do well in the IMS (3.0+) matriculate immediately into drexel med? any input is appreciated!

When I talked to my interviewer, they said that a 3.0 avg does NOT automatically get you an interview at Drexel. You have to have a minimum 3.0 or a B in EVERY class for the guaranteed interview. If you get A's in all of your classes and a B- in one class, the guaranteed interview goes out the window (but you will probably get an interview based on your application anyways with those kind of grades). The other route of getting a guaranteed interview is if your MCAT score is a 27 or higher. I will be heading to Drexel this fall and this is what my interviewer told me, so these numbers are not from personal experience.

Is Stiles furnished or unfurnished?

Members don't see this ad :)
Giv11 said:
When I talked to my interviewer, they said that a 3.0 avg does NOT automatically get you an interview at Drexel. You have to have a minimum 3.0 or a B in EVERY class for the guaranteed interview. If you get A's in all of your classes and a B- in one class, the guaranteed interview goes out the window (but you will probably get an interview based on your application anyways with those kind of grades). The other route of getting a guaranteed interview is if your MCAT score is a 27 or higher. I will be heading to Drexel this fall and this is what my interviewer told me, so these numbers are not from personal experience.

Is Stiles furnished or unfurnished?

Wanted to clear this one up a little bit you; you need BOTH B's in your classes AND above a 27 on the MCAT (i think there is also only stipulation that only one section maybe an 8 and none lower than that on the MCAT).

Oh; and stiles is unfurnished. Hope this helps :)

What kinds of questions did they ask during the interview?

you can probably expect questions like any other medical interview
-where do you see the direction of healthcare going in the future?
-strengths, weaknesses

other standard interview questions

braluk said:
you can probably expect questions like any other medical interview
-where do you see the direction of healthcare going in the future?
-strengths, weaknesses

other standard interview questions

Were you actually interviewed?

So I am definitely going to do the IMS program. What cell phone service gives the best coverage in philly?

no i was not, but i have a very good friend who has been interviewed already, and its just like any other medical school interview. I also asked in my own interview with them for the IMS program. You mihgt also get the questions why was your GPA low, how did IMS help you, etc. et.

PegasisGMS said:
Wanted to clear this one up a little bit you; you need BOTH B's in your classes AND above a 27 on the MCAT (i think there is also only stipulation that only one section maybe an 8 and none lower than that on the MCAT).

Oh; and stiles is unfurnished. Hope this helps :)

Hi everyone. Congrats on getting into the IMS program. I did the program a couple years ago. I would like to add to what was said above. Getting all B's and having a 27 on the MCAT will in fact guarantee you an interview, but only those who did better than that get into Drexel. In my year, those with all A's (about 5-6 people) got in right away, and people like me with a 3.51 GPA in the IMS program (3.1 undergrad) got in off the waitlist. Also, you should participate in one program of volunteer work, such as the Pediatric AIDS Benefit Concert, or one of the clinics that the med school has (there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer - but you should do one that will not hurt your grades. Your grades are most important.)

You MUST study like a med student to get into med school. Sure, the med students can get a 70 on an exam and still pass, but that is not good enough for you guys. You have to prove that you are essentially better than med students. If you study like they do, then you should do better, since they will take a larger courseload.

So, as far as going to lecture everyday, it is really your choice. All the lectures are recorded and can be watched online later that day (sorry, no live vids for you to watch in bed...). Also, you will be given module guides (class notes) at the beginning of each module. For the most part, especially for the classes that you will be taking, the notes are very complete. Some people in my class stayed at home everday (except for labs) and memorized the notes. Others attended every lecture. You should determine for yourself how you study best, but your learning curve needs to be sharp. Be prepared for a quiz after one week of class.

The formula for success is that you should be prepared to study at least 1-2 hours per lecture. There will be people in your class who are not prepared for the work. But, don't be fooled by them and party as much as they do. Study hard, then play hard.

To be a strong applicant, you should have an MCAT that is at least 28/29 if not higher. I think Drexel's average MCAT for this past first year class was around a 31 (but don't worry if you have lower, and don't even think about taking the MCAT while you are in your IMS year.) Getting good grades is what IMS is all about. If your MCAT is lower than a 27, you should plan on doing the program for 2 years and taking the MCAT in August next year. However, if you are happy with going to an osteopathic school, then you may still be competetive with a lower MCAT.

Good luck everyone! This is a grueling process, you but can achieve your goals.

(for cell phone service in Center City, you can use any major carrier. at Queen Lane campus, Verizon definitely works, and I think my roomate has Cingular, which works as well.)

You MUST study like a med student to get into med school. Sure, the med students can get a 70 on an exam and still pass, but that is not good enough for you guys. You have to prove that you are essentially better than med students. If you study like they do, then you should do better, since they will take a larger courseload.

So, as far as going to lecture everyday, it is really your choice. All the lectures are recorded and can be watched online later that day (sorry, no live vids for you to watch in bed...). Also, you will be given module guides (class notes) at the beginning of each module. For the most part, especially for the classes that you will be taking, the notes are very complete. Some people in my class stayed at home everday (except for labs) and memorized the notes. Others attended every lecture. You should determine for yourself how you study best, but your learning curve needs to be sharp. Be prepared for a quiz after one week of class.

The formula for success is that you should be prepared to study at least 1-2 hours per lecture. There will be people in your class who are not prepared for the work. But, don't be fooled by them and party as much as they do. Study hard, then play hard.

To be a strong applicant, you should have an MCAT that is at least 28/29 if not higher. I think Drexel's average MCAT for this past first year class was around a 31 (but don't worry if you have lower, and don't even think about taking the MCAT while you are in your IMS year.) Getting good grades is what IMS is all about. If your MCAT is lower than a 27, you should plan on doing the program for 2 years and taking the MCAT in August next year. However, if you are happy with going to an osteopathic school, then you may still be competetive with a lower MCAT.

Good luck everyone! This is a grueling process, you but can achieve your goals.

(for cell phone service in Center City, you can use any major carrier. at Queen Lane campus, Verizon definitely works, and I think my roomate has Cingular, which works as well.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the wonderful tips.

My science GPA is not good and although my mcat is 29, it is because my verbal was 13. Bio and Physics were both 8. Is this any indication of how I might fare in IMS? Do you know of people thqt did not get into Drexel but got into other schools?

That depends, are you good at memorization? Apparently med school classes are nothing but memorization (i.e. biochem with all its different pathways and such)

There are many people in IMS that got into other schools. I would say the majority get into other schools. Albinomidget is right on in their assesment of the program. SFgirl, I don't think your MCAT score is any indicator of your future performance in the medical school classes. Everyone, is pretty much on equal footing except the outliers (those that do really bad, and the super performers). Just work hard.

Hi, just wondering if you were on the waitlist at Drexel because I am still on it and trying to figure out if there has been movement lately.

Airzonk said:
There are many people in IMS that got into other schools. I would say the majority get into other schools. Albinomidget is right on in their assesment of the program. SFgirl, I don't think your MCAT score is any indicator of your future performance in the medical school classes. Everyone, is pretty much on equal footing except the outliers (those that do really bad, and the super performers). Just work hard.

I agree that most people end up going to other medical schools. I think there are 10 people from my IMS class (out of ~100) in my med school class, plus another 5 people who did the MMS year. Other people got into Drexel, they just chose to go to a different school. Also, I agree that your future performance in medical school is NOT necessarily indicated by your MCAT score. However, I think it does predict performance on Step 1 of the boards. Your verbal score of 13 shows that you are capable of extracting important information in a timely manner. So, if you learn what you need to learn while in med school (and of course IMS), then you can apply that knowledge plus your skills for extracting information from a question and get an awsome Step 1 score.

Good luck!

rhughart said:
Hi, just wondering if you were on the waitlist at Drexel because I am still on it and trying to figure out if there has been movement lately.

I was just recently interviewed. I don't know how many more interviews they are doing, but it seems like the waitlist may have some movement if they are still interviewing? Who the hell knows.

Hello All,
My name is Andrew. I'm starting IMS next monday. I will be financing this venture with stafford and PLUS loans. I didn't need any loans for undergrad, so this is all new to me. I'm sort of freaking out because my PLUS loan application hasn't even been reviewed yet and my stafford loans (on which I have signed the promisorry notes already) have yet to be disbursed. Could anyone shed any insight onto the loan application process for me? Have any of you applied for these loans and already gotten the money or recieved word as to when they will be disbursed (I was told July 31st, but that has come and passed)? Etc. Etc.
Thanks,
see you all on monday

Hi, I just signed a lease at the building behind Stiles- the Packard at Broad and Vine. Its a luxury apartment building with doorman, gym, really really high ceilings and huge window walls. I am looking for a girl to take the second bedroom and second bathroom. Rent will be 900 plus utilities. I know its kinda high, but the apartment is so worth it. And its a corner unit so we get great light. Im starting a postbac at Penn so I will be busy studying, but when I get free time, I love to go out in the city. PM me if you are interested!