DREXEL Med Class of 2010!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
xSTALLiONx said:
Any advice for buying real estate near the area? Looking into possibly a duplex..

I just went to see a bunch of places with a realtor today. I am using weichert realty mainly because they had the most houses in the area listed on their site. I'm planning on buying a 3 or 4 bedroom place in manayunk (about a 7 minute drive to school) and renting out the other rooms to help pay the mortgage. If there's some specifics youd like to ask me about the area or anything involved, please shoot me an email at [email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

Hyman said:
I just went to see a bunch of places with a realtor today. I am using weichert realty mainly because they had the most houses in the area listed on their site. I'm planning on buying a 3 or 4 bedroom place in manayunk (about a 7 minute drive to school) and renting out the other rooms to help pay the mortgage. If there's some specifics youd like to ask me about the area or anything involved, please shoot me an email at [email protected].

I'm sorry if you're familar with the area and you already know this....I live close to manayunk now and I just wanted to let you know that the parking situation around there get pretty crazy. It's a popular night spot, especially on the weekends. It's a fun location to live in, but it can be frustrating if you need to keep a car around there. I'm sure this is stuff you already looked into, but I just wanted to make sure.

I heart Biology said:
I'm sorry if you're familar with the area and you already know this....I live close to manayunk now and I just wanted to let you know that the parking situation around there get pretty crazy. It's a popular night spot, especially on the weekends. It's a fun location to live in, but it can be frustrating if you need to keep a car around there. I'm sure this is stuff you already looked into, but I just wanted to make sure.

So where is a good place to buy a duplex or something where other students would want to live?

Members don't see this ad :)
I second xSTALLiONx's question. More specifically, is Fishtown a reasonable drive to Queen lane? From what I have heard it sounds like a nice area...any thoughts anybody?(it may be the only place I can afford to buy)

hi all...

i'll be at there on saturday, and just wanted to introduce myself. i'm chelsea, from san diego.

I am not the most familar with buying property and I am limited to what I have heard from students who rent near where I go to undergrad now. I think if you are going by price the best area to live in would be right around queen lane and the school. Traffic tends to be heavy most of the time around here, so that's another good reason to live close to the school. I find that a place may only be located a few miles away, but during rush hour in the morning and depending on the roads you take it will take a long time to get anywhere. Sorry, I couldnt be more specific, but I know that I am looking to live within a few blocks of the school because of price and location.

My plan is to get an appartment right on Queen Lane across from the school. My only question is - are there any grocery stores, restaurants, or bars in that area? When I interviewed, I didn't get a chance to really check out the area, but from what I did see, it seemed like it was a pretty residential area (I didn't see any stores of any sort around). If there are no stores in the immediate area, are there some that are close by? Also, is there a subway stop in that area that can take you into town easily? Thanks!

So I just got the email that said we could dress casual, are you guys wearing jeans? I just dont want to be the only one. Also, is anyone else bringing someone with them? Since my boyfriend is going to be living there with me I wanted him to come and see the school and the area around it, but I'm just worried he's going to be bored out of his mind.

smallqt said:
So I just got the email that said we could dress casual, are you guys wearing jeans? I just dont want to be the only one. Also, is anyone else bringing someone with them? Since my boyfriend is going to be living there with me I wanted him to come and see the school and the area around it, but I'm just worried he's going to be bored out of his mind.

I am taking my fiance with me :) He actually wants to go and learn about the school. So, you won't be alone by bringing your significant other :p

rwk66 said:
My plan is to get an appartment right on Queen Lane across from the school. My only question is - are there any grocery stores, restaurants, or bars in that area? When I interviewed, I didn't get a chance to really check out the area, but from what I did see, it seemed like it was a pretty residential area (I didn't see any stores of any sort around). If there are no stores in the immediate area, are there some that are close by? Also, is there a subway stop in that area that can take you into town easily? Thanks!

the queen lane train stop is right next the school on wissahickon ave. i dunno about the immediate area in terms of grocery stores, etc but i didn't c much in terms of walking distance to the school. manayunk is a trendy area with lots of bars and restaurant and easily reachable by train (or bus).

DrKitty said:
I am taking my fiance with me :) He actually wants to go and learn about the school. So, you won't be alone by bringing your significant other :p

sweet I was really worried that he would be completely out of place.

Hey guys, I agree that parking can be absolutely awful in Manayunk, not to mention some of the streets were clearly built only to accomidate the width of a mule with some sort of wagon behind it. I've found a few places that have either garages or are connected to parking spots and I'm also looking at some places that are far enough up the manayunk wall (northern hill) that parking isnt so bad.

As far as living walking distance from campus, there are some pretty nice apartments (2&3 bedrooms) literally right next to school on queen lane. I have friends that live there and they kinda nice. Also, a lot of people live in alden park which is about a half mile or a little more from school. Alden is a huge old set of apartment buildings, each about 15 stories tall. It has beautiful architecture and a nice pool, but its a bit old.

For buying houses in the immediate proximity of school, I would reccomend looking just south of campus in east falls (Indian Queen Lane, etc.). This area is walkable to school, has a few bars, and isnt as expensive some other areas. Just north of school is even cheaper, but many of the streets are a little run down and dont seem as safe.

I dont know of any grocery stores, bars (except for 2 in east falls), or restaurants that would be a walkable distance from queen lane campus proximity.

There's also quite a few people who live in center city, near Hahnemann hospital and just take the shuttle to and from school. The shuttle is about a 15-20 minute ride to school.

Hope this helps a little, I've been living right near school for a year now, so if any of you would like to pick my brain, I'd love to help out.

See yall saturday, Lance.

Hyman said:
Hey guys, I agree that parking can be absolutely awful in Manayunk, not to mention some of the streets were clearly built only to accomidate the width of a mule with some sort of wagon behind it. I've found a few places that have either garages or are connected to parking spots and I'm also looking at some places that are far enough up the manayunk wall (northern hill) that parking isnt so bad.

As far as living walking distance from campus, there are some pretty nice apartments (2&3 bedrooms) literally right next to school on queen lane. I have friends that live there and they kinda nice. Also, a lot of people live in alden park which is about a half mile or a little more from school. Alden is a huge old set of apartment buildings, each about 15 stories tall. It has beautiful architecture and a nice pool, but its a bit old.

For buying houses in the immediate proximity of school, I would reccomend looking just south of campus in east falls (Indian Queen Lane, etc.). This area is walkable to school, has a few bars, and isnt as expensive some other areas. Just north of school is even cheaper, but many of the streets are a little run down and dont seem as safe.

I dont know of any grocery stores, bars (except for 2 in east falls), or restaurants that would be a walkable distance from queen lane campus proximity.

There's also quite a few people who live in center city, near Hahnemann hospital and just take the shuttle to and from school. The shuttle is about a 15-20 minute ride to school.

Hope this helps a little, I've been living right near school for a year now, so if any of you would like to pick my brain, I'd love to help out.

See yall saturday, Lance.

Hello, I was just wondering where do people live in Center City. I am planning on living around Hannemann if possible, but it is quite expensive, no? Do people live in the art district, near Penn, Ritten Square? Is it safe to walk back from the shuttle late at night do you know? Haha sorry for so many questions but I am very curious.
-Leslie

Members don't see this ad :)
Punkinhead said:
Hello, I was just wondering where do people live in Center City. I am planning on living around Hannemann if possible, but it is quite expensive, no? Do people live in the art district, near Penn, Ritten Square? Is it safe to walk back from the shuttle late at night do you know? Haha sorry for so many questions but I am very curious.
-Leslie

Yeah, center city is definately expensive. Rittenhouse is awesome, but one of the most expensive areas. University city (UPenn and Drex undergrad) is okay, and cheaper, but over there you would have to take the regional rail from 30th st. station to get to school.

There's a bunch of apartment buildings pretty close to Hahnemann, but they are all pricey, esp without roomates. A ton of people live in the Metropolitan which is just 1 block south of the hospital. I think you can get a big studio there for like a grand a month. The best deal for big apartment buildings is probably park town apartments which is near the art museum on the parkway. You can get a 2 bedroom there for a little over a grand, or a three bdrm for a pinch more. If you have people to split it with, it gets alot cheaper.

Otherwise, if you want to live in center city for cheaper, check out renting houses or apartments from craigslist and stuff between 17th st and 24th st longitude, and btwn the parkway and fairmount lattitude. I lived there a couple years ago and the streets are really cute, with cheaper rent.
-Lance

Oh, one other thing I wanted to mention.. Places like rittenhouse, old city, washington square area, and anywhere just north of South st. are sweet places to live, but they are really quite far from hahnemann. You'd probably be looking at a pretty big commute for most of these areas. 15-25 minute walk to hahnemann, followed by the shuttle ride. Also, living somewhere that requires taking the regional rail could be a pain because it runs much less frequently at night and on weekends (about an hour or more between trains). Regional rail stops are at 30th and market, 16th and market, and 7th and market.

Hyman said:
Oh, one other thing I wanted to mention.. Places like rittenhouse, old city, washington square area, and anywhere just north of South st. are sweet places to live, but they are really quite far from hahnemann. You'd probably be looking at a pretty big commute for most of these areas. 15-25 minute walk to hahnemann, followed by the shuttle ride. Also, living somewhere that requires taking the regional rail could be a pain because it runs much less frequently at night and on weekends (about an hour or more between trains). Regional rail stops are at 30th and market, 16th and market, and 7th and market.

Thank you so much for all that housing info. You are a wealth of information. I will definitely look into those complexes when I visit. See you tomorrow.
-L

So how was the 2nd look? Also, did anybody else get their finaid package in the mail? Get anything besides loans?

rwk66 said:

I'm an MS2 at Drexel right now. I haven't been in the store myself, but probably the closest grocery store is the ShopRite on Chelten Ave. in Germantown, which is more or less a short hop west on Wissahickon and then a short distance north on Chelten. It's maybe 3/4 mile to a mile from school. There's other stuff over there too, like a KFC and Burger King. The only thing is, anything north of Wissahickon can be a little sketchy, IMHO. I think most people who live in the area double up with someone with a car and hit the Acme or ShopRite on Ridge Ave. in Roxborough...or if you want the really good deals you'll drive out to Giant in Plymouth Meeting. :)

I got my financial aid letter yesterday and unfortunately did not get anything other than loans. It kind of hit me after looking at that letter how expensive this is all going to be - I'll be maxing out the stafford/plus amounts, then they are suggesting I take an additional $15,000/year in private loans - yikes! I was hoping to get some kind of aid, as my parents definitely cannot help me out, but apparently Drexel doesn't offer much aid.

I was at the 2nd look and got a chance to check out the different communities. Manayunk and Roxborough are really cool areas with lots to do, I must say. But I think living there requires driving in traffic to school, and I'm not down with that. The East Falls area (where the school is) is very residential (didn't see any shops in the area) - but seemed fairly safe to me, and further down Queen Lane (about .5 - 1 miles) I did come across a little pizza shop and a beer distributor, so there are definitely SOME things within walking distance (though not right by the school). There is a train line that goes to Queen Lane, and the shuttle for when you want to go into town, but I was told the train/shuttle don't run much on the weekends. I'll probably just look for a place by the school and plan on driving to go out/grocery shop, etc..

I got my financial packet today too and just loans. I also got some Perkins Loans. I was wondering what the maximum for the perkins loan is? Thanks.

I was calculating the interest and :eek: I didn't know it would come out to so much and how much I'm going to have to pay monthly to repay my full loans.

Gracey103 said:
I got my financial packet today too and just loans. I also got some Perkins Loans. I was wondering what the maximum for the perkins loan is? Thanks.

I was calculating the interest and :eek: I didn't know it would come out to so much and how much I'm going to have to pay monthly to repay my full loans.

Heh, it's just sticker shock..you'll get over it. :D Wait 'til you realize how much you'll have to pay in malpractice! (especially if you stay in PA and double especially for the Philly area).

Gracey103 said:

$3000. I know, holy crap its gonna be over $225000 w/ interest.

$225,000? I'd actually be happy with that number.

I calculated that I'll owe roughly $300,000 after interest assuming I pay it out over a 10 year period(I'll be taking out the full amount to cover tuition and all living expenses). That's $2500/month in loan payments...then I checked out that salary wiz website - it says that the avg monthly take home(minus taxes) for a GP in Pittsburgh (where I'm from) is about $7500 - which still leaves $5000 to live on - def enough to live comfortably.

I am assuming this means a salaried physician, and that the malpractice insurance would be covered by the employer, but I don't know for sure. If anyone has any insight into how that works, I'd be interested. Note: this is a very rough estimate using the numbers in Drexel's financial aid booklet, so don't put any major stake in these numbers.

Also, I believe for Perkins, the max you can get is $6000/year, and Drexel's average award is $3000/yr.

The key word in my earlier post was over . Did you get 3000 perkins, 8 or 8500 subsidized and about 31-32000 unsubsidized? So are we supposed to use the PLUS loans for the rest?
No wonder physicians get paid so much in the US.

Yes, those are pretty much the exact numbers I got too. I believe the PLUS loan is the best way to go to cover the rest, unless you find loans from non-profits, etc. I've been looking and there's actually a few non-profit orgs that may have better interest rates than the PLUS loan that I could be eligible for- in fact, there are a few I've come across that are for med students from PA/going to school in PA - PHEAA(PA Higher Ed Assistance Agency), PA Medical Society, Addison Gibson foundation (this one has great interest rates for Western PA residents, but can only be used after 1 year of school is completed). I'm not totally certain how these stack up to the PLUS loans, but definitely worth looking into.

Also, if you're a member of a church denomination, or any clubs check and see if they offer low interest school loans. Finally, if you have parents that are employed by a large employer, they may have loans/scholarships available. I know fastweb.org is a good place to do a general loan/scholarship search. As well as the "my rich uncle" website.

rwk66 said:
I am assuming this means a salaried physician, and that the malpractice insurance would be covered by the employer, but I don't know for sure. If anyone has any insight into how that works, I'd be interested.

If you're in private practice (as most GPs would be), you're your own employer. If you're part of a group, I presume it would depend on the size. If you work for a hospital, I would think it's likely it would be covered, but then there's always the question of whether it's enough. Drexel pays malpractice for their physicians, but had to make their own malpractice insurance company to do so (probably because of the prohibitive costs).

OK, I see - then I'm not sure if those salary wizard numbers would be pre or post malpractice insurance costs. If anyone knows how to find the avg physician salaries adjusted for malpractice, please post it. I'd be very curious to see these figures. Thanks!

1 bd room studio apt in Alden Park available. Walking distance to campus. One of the best and safest apts in the area. Availabe from June through Aug after which you may lease on your name.

Also tons of 1st year books to get rid of. Reasonable price.

PM soon if interested !

I didn't go to second look week, but I still want to see the school and I plan on going on Friday. Do you know if they will provide a tour for me? Or anything else? Do I have to go searching by myself? Thanks.

Gracey103 said:
I didn't go to second look week, but I still want to see the school and I plan on going on Friday. Do you know if they will provide a tour for me? Or anything else? Do I have to go searching by myself? Thanks.

the people in the office and adcom r really nice. i'm sure if u call them, they might arrange sth or let u tag along on a tour for interviewees. but didn't u already have that tour?

the alchemist said:
the people in the office and adcom r really nice. i'm sure if u call them, they might arrange sth or let u tag along on a tour for interviewees. but didn't u already have that tour?

Its been so long (interviewed in November), that I dont really remember. Im trying to decide between two schools and i decided that i needed another look for myself.

Gracey103 said:
Its been so long (interviewed in November), that I dont really remember. Im trying to decide between two schools and i decided that i needed another look for myself.

If you wanted a quick tour on a weekend, my roomates and I could help you out. One of my roomates is the first year class president at DrexMed and I did my masters here, so we know our way around pretty well.
-Lance

Hi all,
Just wondering if you got the email and link to welcome class of 2010 stuff. I was wondering if anyone (read current students) had specific ideas about the laptop that is best. Thanks!

Hello! I did get the email. It's nice that they've given specific dates for orientation and classes :)

I think any laptop is fine. I would look at Consumer Reports and some old threads in pre-allo about different brands. The students at Drexel have all different things. And truthfully you don't really absolutely need a laptop. There are a few situations, like in microanatomy (histology) lab, when they ask you to bring in your laptop, but as long as somebody in your group has one that's fine. I have a desktop and my husband has a laptop, so I won't be getting a new computer when I start school. The campus has wireless internet access, which is cool, so you can sit in the library or an empty classroom and use your computer to watch lecture videos and things.

I've visited both Drexel and RFU again and I have made a final decision. I will see all of you guys in the fall. YAY! :D

Hey guys....I am trying to figure out my housing situation for this fall, so if anyone is looking for a roomate, let me know.
-Josh
[email protected]

YAY, Good choice Grace! Rashid will be so proud.

So, the first day of our orientation is going to be on a Friday?? I hope this doesn't mean my inevitable bad reputation will start within 24 hrs of meeting everyone! :eek:

tigress said:
Hello! I did get the email. It's nice that they've given specific dates for orientation and classes :)

I think any laptop is fine. I would look at Consumer Reports and some old threads in pre-allo about different brands. The students at Drexel have all different things. And truthfully you don't really absolutely need a laptop. There are a few situations, like in microanatomy (histology) lab, when they ask you to bring in your laptop, but as long as somebody in your group has one that's fine. I have a desktop and my husband has a laptop, so I won't be getting a new computer when I start school. The campus has wireless internet access, which is cool, so you can sit in the library or an empty classroom and use your computer to watch lecture videos and things.

Thank you for the info. You are a wealth of information on all things Drexel, lol. I am getting excited about August, it is just around the corner it seems. Is it one of the earlier starting dates? Drexel is 95% sure my decision right now. I like all the online stuff we can look at and the pathways seem cool in the 4th year too. I like the idea of having an advisor and set types of rotations for the different specialties, or not if we so choose.

Hyman said:
YAY, Good choice Grace! Rashid will be so proud.

So, the first day of our orientation is going to be on a Friday?? I hope this doesn't mean my inevitable bad reputation will start within 24 hrs of meeting everyone! :eek:

So for housing...I went and saw Alden Park apartments. The small studio was SMALL, and the large studio was MUCH MUCH nicer. So if i end up living at Alden Park i'll probably pay the extra money to get the larger studio. Where are some other nice places to live? How soon should I start looking for a place to live? What happens if I sign a lease and then get off a waitlist someplace else?

Hi everyone!!

I really had no clue these forums existed until today. And I am so glad I did, because I was feeling a little disjointed from Drexel, the school I'll be attending with you all!!! :) I'll be moving out all the way from California, and I really dont know what to expect. I've been reading previous posts about housing and financial aid, and they have been a great resource. But, I'm all the way in California and I am not sure how I am going to find a nice place to stay, and I would not mind having an apartment/house mate. So, if anybody would like to help me out, I would be stoked.

Oh, by the way, is anyone doing the PIL program??

THANKS!!!

Hey fellow future drexel students, I just found this thread today...Has anyone recieved their financial aid package/app from drexel yet? They send us an app. and then we send out copies of our tax info, right?

SurferMD,
Good to hear some representation from CA. I am also in the same situation you are in. I am from CA and go to U of Arizona right now. Let me know what you are thinking about doing as far as finding a place. You can drop me an email if you want [email protected]
Oh by the way, where in CA are you from?
Peace.
-Josh

SuferMD said:
Hi everyone!!

I really had no clue these forums existed until today. And I am so glad I did, because I was feeling a little disjointed from Drexel, the school I'll be attending with you all!!! :) I'll be moving out all the way from California, and I really dont know what to expect. I've been reading previous posts about housing and financial aid, and they have been a great resource. But, I'm all the way in California and I am not sure how I am going to find a nice place to stay, and I would not mind having an apartment/house mate. So, if anybody would like to help me out, I would be stoked.

Oh, by the way, is anyone doing the PIL program??

THANKS!!!

YAY CALI!! Im coming from California too! specifically, in the Orange County area. Where are you guys from?

Coming from Anaheim Hills, CA, but go to school in Tucson until May. Where you from exactly?

Gracey103 said:
YAY CALI!! Im coming from California too! specifically, in the Orange County area. Where are you guys from?

sims4531 said:
Coming from Anaheim Hills, CA, but go to school in Tucson until May. Where you from exactly?

I am coming from Daly City, CA, (right next to san francisco), but i go to school at UC Davis. Hopefully, Drexel will give me a change in scenery, other than the usual cows. Ah, sims4531, my email is [email protected] so give a hollar about what you are doing about finding a place next year.

:sleep:

hi all,
I'm glad to see more people jumping on the bandwagon. I'll be revisiting the first week of May (2nd and 3rd) and I hope to look around some more on campus. I don't really need another tour, but just to sort of look on my own. Is anyone else going to be around then? It's kind of a weird time. I'm also looking at some apartment buildings (The Metropolitan and Park Town apartments) in Center City right near Hannemann. Anyone have any advice concerning these complexes or where to re-visit. Thanks.

sims4531 said:

From Fullerton! really close to anaheim hills.

Hi everyone. I'm going to Drexel next year... pretty excited about that. Especially now that I can post. I've been going crazy because my computer wouldn't let me receive the verification email for a month or so. I was following the thread and couldn't even say hello to everyone. Anywayz... hope everyone is doing well. And I guess there are a lot of Cali people, very cool.