Drexel Med Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone,

After hearing what the financial aid director at Drexel had to say, I got the impression that Drexel has limited money for students. I am wondering if anyone has received a scholarship from Drexel, either from the list they provided or not?

I didn't get an email or anything about it but I checked my Drexel One account and I got 2 scholarships. So make sure you keep checking that for info:)

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get an email or anything about it but I checked my Drexel One account and I got 2 scholarships. So make sure you keep checking that for info:)

Thanks for the tip and congrats to you! Was Drexel generous with your scholarships?

This is exactly what happened to me. I just happened to be looking at my Award Summary on Drexel One and noticed that I had received two scholarships.

On another note... Has anyone had any trouble with AES regarding their unsubsidized stafford loans? I was mailed a letter saying I was receiving $0 for my unsub. stafford. I haven't been able to reach the financial aid office because they seem to be closed for the past couple days. Anyone else facing this issue? (Hopefully its easily fixed, as that is a significant amount of money)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly what happened to me. I just happened to be looking at my Award Summary on Drexel One and noticed that I had received two scholarships.

On another note... Has anyone had any trouble with AES regarding their unsubsidized stafford loans? I was mailed a letter saying I was receiving $0 for my unsub. stafford. I haven't been able to reach the financial aid office because they seem to be closed for the past couple days. Anyone else facing this issue? (Hopefully its easily fixed, as that is a significant amount of money)

Yes, I received the same letter from AES and spoke to the finaid office at Drexel. They assured me that the letter from AES was incorrect, that I received the letter due to a delay on Drexel's end, and that it would be resolved soon. Don't worry!

the financial aid office is short staffed right now. apparently they used to have 3 people and now they only have one.

I am going to be attending Drexel's MSP post-bacc program in the fall and I am looking for a roommate/ place to live. Is anyone still looking or have a place with an extra room? I want to live either in center city or manyunk. I'm a 22 yr old female and would prefer to live with other females. Please let me know if anyone is interested or has anything available!

I am going to be attending Drexel's MSP post-bacc program in the fall and I am looking for a roommate/ place to live. Is anyone still looking or have a place with an extra room? I want to live either in center city or manyunk. I'm a 22 yr old female and would prefer to live with other females. Please let me know if anyone is interested or has anything available!

My girlfriend is coming to philly for the same program and is looking for a roommate in that area as well. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you. I was out there a week ago on campus and the post-bacc staff was very cool.

If anyone is looking for a roommate around the manayunk area we have a brand new room available starting August 1. Please message me for more details.

Hey everyone!

Just recently got back from abroad (Australia and New Zealand!) and wanted to say hello to all of you!

So I came back to a mountain of paperwork and am feeling a little overwhelmed right now! Also, is anyone still looking for a roommate? I'd prefer to live in a complex in East Falls (Alden Park is the only one I know) and would like to live with other females. If anyone is still looking, PM me!

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July!

Has anyone received any information about the Perkins promissory note or signed the promissory note? I signed one for the Stafford loan, but I don't know how to do the Perkins one.

Check the facebook group for roommates, there are a ton of people looking on there.

So yeah, I didn't make up the whole DUCOMrades thing (another very literary second-year did), I just find it funny. I'm a second-year here at Drexel and I wanted to post some advice.

First of all - the shuttle does not run on weekends. So the last shuttle leaving center city to back to Queen Lane on a weeknight is 9:30pm. If you get a parking pass for Queen Lane, you automatically have free parking at the Hahnemann garage (right where the shuttle drops you off in Center City). You can park anytime, but you have to leave after 4pm on weekdays to avoid paying. Weekends are free.

Living, East Fall is really convenient, but there is quite literally NOTHING TO DO, aside from an okay coffee house and two bars. It's close to school and that's important for some. I, however, found myself driving to far away places to go to the grocery store, Starbucks, do fun things, etc. So I chose to move to just beyond Chestnut Hill for my second year. Don't really cross Wissahickon (to the "non-school" side), it does get kinda shady. And try not to walk down Queen Lane at night (we do have a patrol so that's not really an issue anymore), so I would recommend getting a parking pass for Queen Lane. Manayunk is a parking nightmare, so I would never live there.

Roxborough (sorta next to Manayunk) is safe and convenient and a lot DUCOM students live there. Just outside of Roxborough (20 minute post-exam drive) on Henry Ave/Ridge Pike is a Panera with free wireless internet and the shopping Mecca of Chemical Road. Center City is great if you can afford it (our finaid budgets don't really allow it-unless you know something I don't). Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill have generally affordable options.

Over on City Ave (Route-1 on maps) things can get very expensive (because it's the Main Line!-old homes/old money=sky-high rent!) and it's basically gridlock during rush hour so I would avoid that unless it's around Montgomery Ave or very close to I-76 (the Schukyll Experssway). Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) is right over there too.

Chestnut Hill is always a good option. It's a charming little village/old money neighborhood of Philly. You pay for the charm though. It's about 20 minutes from school during rush hour and less if you know the "back way" to go. I found myself driving up there a lot to unwind (there's two independent coffee houses and a Starbucks, a Borders, also some shops and bakeries, and a Wine and Spirits store with a pretty decent selection of wine for all of you California vinophiles (I know you're out there!). There's also the R8 transit which will take you straight down to Queen Lane Station to school.

Oh yeah, I lived in Alden Park last year (the Kenilworth building). It was a decent size, but the place is really old and kind of deteriorating. I hear the Manor building and Cambridge are a lot nicer but I think the current second-years have beat you to it. The windows are old and so you'll have a very high heating bill. And some people have bug problems. I also had to live in fear of a random water pipe bursting when it's 60 degrees outside. It happened 4 times and affected my apartment once (get renters insurance, it's like a hundred bucks!). So I had to get out, the fact that it was far from everything I did besides school and the age of the place was what forced me out.

Charlwin (directly next to school) has rats/mice/roach problems on the lower floor from what I know. School Lane House (Schoolhouse Rock as we like to call it) is cheap, and small but from what I know, pretty livable.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected].

Enjoy what's left of your summer!

Dan

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I just completed the lab safety thing. It says that you shouldn't wear contact lenses in the lab. How strict are they with this rule?

I don't mind wearing my glasses but I only have one pair so I'm just worried that it's going to get really gross. :oops: Sorry for the really silly questions, but just wondering if anyone has any tips regarding this matter. Thanks!

Each of my undergrad chemistry lab courses and my anatomy lab course said the same exact thing, but no one ever said anything, nor can they even tell if you wear contacts. Their only concern is if you get something on your hands, reach for your contact to pull it out/adjust something, then burn your eye because of it. That, and if you pour a beaker of some dangerous chemical in your eye, contacts can melt and fuse to your eyeball. Fun times! Either way, they're just covering their asses for legal purposes. General lab protocol. You'll find me wearing my contacts...possibly fused to my eyeball.

Hey Everyone! I was wondering if people are planning on doing all of the social events. (well the ones that cost money at least, seeing as you won't lose anything if you rsvp but don't end up going to the movie night) I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience on what the turn-out is for most of the events? They all look great, but it would be nice to know that the majority of the class was going to be there.

So, I just completed the lab safety thing. It says that you shouldn't wear contact lenses in the lab. How strict are they with this rule?

I don't mind wearing my glasses but I only have one pair so I'm just worried that it's going to get really gross. :oops: Sorry for the really silly questions, but just wondering if anyone has any tips regarding this matter. Thanks!

Hey, I couldn't resist looking around on here again.

To answer you question, labs are pretty much anything goes except eating/drinking in the lab during lab time (although people make camp in the micro lab to study for practicals when professors aren't around and the garbage cans in there are full of food wrappers). No one eats in the gross lab (that's horrible to even rationalize), but glasses and whatnot are fine at any time.

Hey Everyone! I was wondering if people are planning on doing all of the social events. (well the ones that cost money at least, seeing as you won't lose anything if you rsvp but don't end up going to the movie night) I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience on what the turn-out is for most of the events? They all look great, but it would be nice to know that the majority of the class was going to be there.

Just about everybody goes to all the pay events listed on that form. I think we went bowling and had a pool party at a nearby tennis club. They are a great place to meet people and get tons of free food. By all means, do not miss the boat cruise (read: booze cruise) and the welcome back party (which happens a few weeks later). Some of the other events like a nature hike and tour of Philly with cheesesteak comparison sounded lame and I slept in those days (those only had a handful of people go out of 250-some students). There are house parties and bar crawls off the record after the "official" events, so be sure to enjoy yourselves, because after orientation the s**t hits the fan, heh.

You only have to pay for those events if you bring a guest. You've already paid for yourself by paying your student fees (there is some social activity fee built in), so you might as well go to all of them! Plus, if that's not enough incentive, they're going to be a rocking good time.

You only have to pay for those events if you bring a guest. You've already paid for yourself by paying your student fees (there is some social activity fee built in), so you might as well go to all of them! Plus, if that's not enough incentive, they're going to be a rocking good time.

Haha yes, I just realized that. I was using the online registration form and only noticed the prices next to the events. I should have realized that the prices were only for guests.

Thanks to those who replied!

Has anyone tried to sign their Perkins note MPN. I tried using my fafsa pin, but the website said that they didn't have my social security on file. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Has anyone tried to sign their Perkins note MPN. I tried using my fafsa pin, but the website said that they didn't have my social security on file. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

I had the same problem. I called that number and they said that you need to wait until they send you an email. She said that the loan service sends you an email when its ready not Drexel.

Hey,

i'm looking to buy a laptop, but it seems like 99% of them come with windows vista. however, looking at the computer requirements page, it seems like they want us to get windows xp. i was just curious if you guys think having vista will be a problem and if any of you are getting vista too?

thanks!

The IT dept at drexel sent out their periodic notice last week that discussed Vista: http://www.drexel.edu/IRT/news/technews/techupdate071007.html#01 .

One of them told me that they intend on making Vista available for download to students/faculty by December 07, so all of Drexel should be compatible with Vista by then. If it doesn't cost extra with you computer, i would just get it pre-installed but it would seem like you have the option to get XP now and upgrade later if you want.

I thought many schools were overmatriculated, but this is ridiculous...

"Dear Drexel College of Medicine Class of 2011:

Congratulations on your acceptance to Drexel Med! We are busy preparing for the arrival of the incoming class and look forward to meeting you and working with you.

Before the year starts, however, there is one item that we need to attend to. We have had a very strong admissions cycle this year, with more accepted applicants planning to come to Drexel than ever before. While we are thrilled with our popularity, we do feel the need to see if we can reduce the class size to one that is closer to what we targeted.

In pursuit of this goal, we are offering you the opportunity to defer your matriculation to Drexel by one year (you would then join the class of 2012). To acknowledge that this would represent a change in your plans, the cost of your first-year tuition at Drexel would be reduced by $10,000. The number of these opportunities is, of course, limited. Requests will be accommodated in the order that they are received. Students who elect to defer may still be eligible for other scholarships and grants after they matriculate.

Instructions: If you want to request a one-year deferral of matriculation with a $10,000 reduction in the cost of your first year tuition, please send a reply email to this message as soon as you have made your decision. You will be notified by email whether we have accepted your deferral request.

If you are not interested in this deferral option, we will be greeting you at Drexel Med on August 3, 2007 (or August 1 if you are a PIL student).

Thank you for your attention to this message. (Please note, this e-mail is being sent to both your Drexel and regular e-mail accounts.)"

Nice offer for $10,000 off 1st year tuition. I'd take it if they did $10,000 each year. Oh well. Anyone want to meet up next week? I arrive in Philly on Saturday.

I really don't think that many will take this offer. $10,000 is simply not enough to make you want to give up a year of salary in the long run. At this point most people have apartments lined up, etc. ready to start med school in a few weeks.

This makes me question just how bad they are overfilled? Might be a little cramped for rotations...

Anybody going to take this offer??

I really don't think that many will take this offer. $10,000 is simply not enough to make you want to give up a year of salary in the long run. At this point most people have apartments lined up, etc. ready to start med school in a few weeks.

This makes me question just how bad they are overfilled? Might be a little cramped for rotations...

I heard from a friend of mine that they are overfilled by ~30...

I think I would have taken this offer if I was fresh out of school...but I've been out of school for three years and don't need another break. It seems like oversubscription is a problem for a lot of schools this year.

Does anyone know why this application cycle is different from years past?

I heard from a friend of mine that they are overfilled by ~30...

I spoke with some people on campus today and they said the overfill is closer to 50. We may have a class of 300.

Anyone else out there married with kids and starting at Drexel? I am married and have 3 kids (what the hell was I thinking?!), and wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat.

Question about the white coat ceremony!
To all the 2nd years, what exactly is going to happen at the white coat ceremony?? I have no idea:confused:

Wow, they really do video tape everything and post it online. Is the whole school becoming one big online course?

Hey question about loans,
i signed my MPN at aessuccess.org but arent sure if that covers both sub and unsub loans? does anyone know
thanks!

Hey question about loans,
i signed my MPN at aessuccess.org but arent sure if that covers both sub and unsub loans? does anyone know
thanks!

If you signed the MPN for the stafford loan then yes it covers both. But if you have other loans like Grad Plus or Perkins then you'll have to sign separate MPN's for them.

Is anyone still looking for a place to live? We need a roommate still beginning August 1. Message me for more info. Thanks!

I had the same problem. I called that number and they said that you need to wait until they send you an email. She said that the loan service sends you an email when its ready not Drexel.

you should call the financial aid office and check the status of your loan application. there might be something missing in your file. you should also call AES and ask them to look at your file and see what the problem is. I had the same problem you had, and only after they looked into my file did they realize something needed to be corrected (this was what was delaying my financial aid approval).