Drexel Med Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey congrats man! it's a bummer we can't go to the same school, but i'm happy that you got what you were waiting for. we should definitely stay in touch. thanks for all your help and good luck in medschool :thumbup: i know you'll be a great doctor!

Members don't see this ad.

glad things worked out for you, h.

got another question for the rest of you: have you received comfirmation of your deposit? I think it stated in the acceptance letter that they would send a letter of some sort.

Also, when do we get our drexel log-in ID's? It's too late now, but some of the drexel scholarship app's required log-in. Were the scholarships only for current students or did people actually get ID's?

when do we get our drexel log-in ID's?

You can get your ID at any time. Go to:

https://accounts.drexel.edu/ and then click the New to Drexel link on the left.

I had to try about three different zip codes since apparently they had an old address confused with my permanent address, so keep trying until something works. That will log you on so you can get your email address, ID#, log-in, and all sorts of goodies. The best part is, you get to go to medical school for free with the purchase of your email address!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 4/9, accepted 5/4. Also was accepted to EVMS, and now I'm torn between the two... :confused:

hi, all. i just decided to attend drexel next fall and I have a few questions that I was hoping someone will answer. first of all, will my macbook pro work well enough? I found some webpage that said that the resources that drexel posts online are optimized for window-based computers. secondly, about the alden park apartments...I heard that there are a lot of drunk and noisy undergrads that live there and some other bad rumors. does anyone have experience with alden park? and finally, what about the Bel Air and Presidential apartments (ran by octavia hill)? I think they are both located on Chelten ave, fairly close to campus. thanks for the help

i am also planning to journey to philly in june sometime to look for apartments. possibly around father's day weekend... any interested?

I'd like to meet you all in June to look for a place to live. Lets keep in touch.

Anyone know how much the initial deposit is to reserve a spot at Drexel? I think it was $100 but I want to make sure. Thanks.

The deposit was $100, and i never received confirmation.. i ended up calling admissions and they said they received it...

The deposit was $100, and i never received confirmation.. i ended up calling admissions and they said they received it...

Thanks. Neither did I.

i tried to check my financial aid status online at drexelone, but the year 2007/2008 is not there. does anyone know if we were supposed to turn in anything other than the fafsa and scholarship form? thanks

i tried to check my financial aid status online at drexelone, but the year 2007/2008 is not there. does anyone know if we were supposed to turn in anything other than the fafsa and scholarship form? thanks

They may send you a form in the mail to fill out and send back. It just asks about your full-time student status. But they don't always do this. There was one sent to me, and I actually ended up calling the financial aid office about it. They just fixed it over the phone. If you want I can dig up the number for you, and you can give them a call to make sure they have all of your information. I would say it took about two weeks from sending in my deposit to finally get my financial aid award summary.

I never received a confirmation either, but I did receive my financial award summary... so I assumed this was good enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
you might want to check because I actually received my financial aid summary before i received my full acceptance package (including the form requesting a matriculation fee). pretty weird i know. so i doubt that they wait for your matriculation fee to send you the financial aid summary

first of all, will my macbook pro work well enough? I found some webpage that said that the resources that drexel posts online are optimized for window-based computers.

i hope so because i have a macbook as well...

I'd like to meet you all in June to look for a place to live. Lets keep in touch.

i requested off work to come june 7th, 8th, and possibly the 9th... let me know if this works with anyone else!

thanks...i'll call the financial aid office tomorrow and ask them why i have not received the summary yet.
also, i will most likely be going to philly around june 25th...because my school ends on june 17!

i figured out the method to drexel's administrative madness: chaos

i hope so because i have a macbook as well...QUOTE]

99% of the time, Macbooks work just fine. you have to tweak around a bit but it actually works better on a mac than on windows.

woot, thx for the info jrock!

I'll be around in June too! so we definitely need to have a pre-orientation bar trip :laugh:

haha...yea we should definitely go do something fun....our class is going to be so bad-ass! :D

does anyone know what's the counseling thing we have to turn in...???

does anyone know what's the counseling thing we have to turn in...???

I'm pretty sure its just an entrance loan counseling. Its what you have to do anytime you take out loans. Basically to say that you understand the responsibilities and rights that come along with loans. At least this is the only counseling thing that I've heard of, unless there is some other one?

Did anyone apply through EDP? Looking for some info...

Did anyone apply through EDP? Looking for some info...

no, sorry! Did you try asking around in pre-allo as well? Some people may be going through that process right now.

If anyone is looking for a place to live please check out http://www.theglenapartments.net/sha..._amenities.htm. It was just built and is less than 10 minutes from drexel. My fiancee and I are looking for a roommate you would receive your own bedroom and bathroom. If interested message me!

Hi everyone. Anyone from Pittsburgh?

I'm moving to Philly in early June, so if you all want to meet up for cheesesteaks let me know :)

i figured out the method to drexel's administrative madness: chaos

In short, there are many people who don't follow directions in this world. Even if you send out a form for people to sign, 50-75% of the students ended up not signing any forms.

Here's the key. Make sure they know you accepted your seat and will be attending. Send any deposit in that you need to. Fill out any paperwork to the best of your ability.

Realistically, orientation is about 12 hours of sitting and the following:

Paper #1 passed out.
Students sign.
Students pass paper back.
Paper #2 passed out.
Students sign.
Students pass paper back.

You end up filling out what feels like 80 forms.

In addition, i think you have to send them a passport photo and fill out papers for your record. Yea.. ~25% of the class did that.

You get a sheet telling you all the stuff that was supposed to be turned in.. and what you did turn in.. and so you have the next 4 days or so to go to CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid or any other store that takes passport photos.

Remember- You're not being graded on this stuff. Nor will they rescind your acceptance because you forgot to send in a photo or whatever.

Orientation week will get everyone on the same page and will be like hell on earth with the amount of paperwork you'll go through. However, like every med school, there are cool parties to welcome the incoming class. This year's best one was a dress up cruise on a boat down the Delaware river at night catered with appetizers, beer, wine, and dancing. These social functions also help you meet people so you can form friends before you form your anatomy groups and microanatomy groups. You'll be stuck with these groups for the full academic year. :)

Has anyone checked out the Walnut Court Apartments in Rittenhouse??? I'm looking for any info about location, quality of apts & safety...

If your looking for somewhere to stay that is close to the school, has good maintainence people, and indoor parking underneath the aparments, which are unfurnished but quite spacious and nice, look into Hathaway House. Its a high rise building next to Alden Park and is very nice. Alden Park is not nice at all. Please look into Hathaway House. I'm not attending Drexel, but my friend is a second year there and i visited him there. Trust me.

So, I will also be going to Drexel Med in the Fall and seem to be in a housing crunch. Both Hathaway House and Park Heights have no units available at all, and those are the 2 best in the area from what I hear. Anyone have any other ideas or places they've heard are good?

hey all, need a little advice, as of now, i plan to attend drexel, but i am on two waitlist for schools i would rather go do, im not sure of the probability to get off these waitlist and i would like to have some plan as to where i would live if i go to drexel, what do you suggest? i would feel bad about finding a room mate and then flaking due to another offer.But i also dont want to wait till the last minute and get terrible housing.
any suggestions?

hey all, need a little advice, as of now, i plan to attend drexel, but i am on two waitlist for schools i would rather go do, im not sure of the probability to get off these waitlist and i would like to have some plan as to where i would live if i go to drexel, what do you suggest? i would feel bad about finding a room mate and then flaking due to another offer.But i also dont want to wait till the last minute and get terrible housing.
any suggestions?

You can always find a place to live in philadelphia given 1-2 Days. There will always be openings. Yes, you might not get a place at one apartment complex but there were plenty of people who got in at the last minute, like 1wk beforehand, and got an apartment during orientation.

My suggestion: Just wait. Not many people move on the waitlist after May 15th or whatever domino day is. If you don't get in by that day, chances are very slim to get in.. If you do, you can start the process.. :thumbup:

So, I will also be going to Drexel Med in the Fall and seem to be in a housing crunch. Both Hathaway House and Park Heights have no units available at all, and those are the 2 best in the area from what I hear. Anyone have any other ideas or places they've heard are good?

Whoever told you that was giving you horrible advice. First, East Falls sucks as a place to live. You might be thinking "BUUUUUTTTT!!! I gotta live across the street from the School!!!" Why? So you save 5-10 minutes to study some more? Unlike some of the panicky people on these forums- You can study for about 2-3 hrs a day after classes and enjoy yourself for about 3-4 hrs per day and still do well.

A big thing nobody has mentioned is that Philadelphia University is 2 blocks away. The reason those places are unavailable is that Philadelphia University is THOUSANDS!!! of students while Drexel is about 400 (MSI + II). Therefore, if you live in any of the towers- you have a good chance of being stuck next to some drunk partying undergrads like my MS-I friends did. Not only that- There is no place to EAT around East Falls after the school's cafeteria closes at 3pm! Add the dash of crime and the only reason I can see a person living in East Falls is due to obsessive compulsive anti-social behavior.

Here is one of the most popular websites for apartments:
http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/
- GO there and Avoid everything under EAST FALLS (except Sherman Mills which is nice.. but extremely expensive)
- Click on Manayunk/Roxborough .. Those are nice places you should consider

Ask yourself, am I still in undergrad? Or would I like to meet some people who are professional students? ie. MBA, law students, other med students, grad students. If you want to branch out and meet other people/make connections, live near Manayunk. There's even a Drexel Clinic you might rotate through in the Manayunk area. Or live in Center city. I'm currently living in Center City with a UPenn law student but it costs me $1,200/month. Another 2 Drexel students are living downtown (one with a UPenn Med student - the other by himself)

Here is the budget for students

Budget Detail Budget Component Amount Tuition $38,800.00
Fees $1,170.00
Room and Board $13,650.00

$13,650 / 12 = $1,130 per month you are budgeted- Drop it down and find yourself a nice place in Manayunk for like $900. I think 2K a year to NOT live in East Falls is a nice compromise.. especially since your spending 38K on depriving yourself a social life and it will be a drop in the bucket once your a doc. Spend half a decade of my 20s in East Falls? Hell no...:thumbdown:

hey, thanks for the info. i've been looking into apartments in east falls because i don't have a vehicle to drive from anywhere that is a little further, even if it is nicer. is there anyway besides public transit and a private vehicle to get from manayunk to drexel? i'd like to get away from east falls but i'm limited by transportation... I'd really rather not take public transit. thanks.

spz315, there is a shuttle that leaves from the center city campus (around 15th and vine) to the med school everyday. So living downtown will not force you to use public transit (ie: SEPTA). Here is the shuttle schedule: http://www.drexel.edu/facilities/queen_lane.htm

On another note...after agonizing long and hard on where to go, i have setteld on Drexel! I look forward to seeing everyone in August!

Also, I did my undergrad and grad (M.S.) here and was pretty much born and raised at Drexel so if anyone has any questions about the school, philly, or anything else feel free to message me.

hey katie and jboz, i also need a place to live and am game to meet up for the search. father's day is later then i planned.. i was shooting for the 1st weekend in june

GenuisArtist, you summed it up well. East falls is not the greatest because I lived there and now I am moving near manayunk which is wayyyy nicer and safer. We are still looking for a roommate for this awesome place so if anyone is interested. Please check out http://theglenapartments.net/shawmont/features_amenities.htm. Our lease begins August 1.

I just got into Drexel this week, what does the $100 deposit signify. What I mean is if I send it does it mean I have to go there?

well before today, you would get the money back if you decided not to go there. but since it's past the 15th you just lose the $100 if you withdraw

Whoever told you that was giving you horrible advice. First, East Falls sucks as a place to live. You might be thinking "BUUUUUTTTT!!! I gotta live across the street from the School!!!" Why? So you save 5-10 minutes to study some more? Unlike some of the panicky people on these forums- You can study for about 2-3 hrs a day after classes and enjoy yourself for about 3-4 hrs per day and still do well.

A big thing nobody has mentioned is that Philadelphia University is 2 blocks away. The reason those places are unavailable is that Philadelphia University is THOUSANDS!!! of students while Drexel is about 400 (MSI + II). Therefore, if you live in any of the towers- you have a good chance of being stuck next to some drunk partying undergrads like my MS-I friends did. Not only that- There is no place to EAT around East Falls after the school's cafeteria closes at 3pm! Add the dash of crime and the only reason I can see a person living in East Falls is due to obsessive compulsive anti-social behavior.

Here is one of the most popular websites for apartments:
http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/
- GO there and Avoid everything under EAST FALLS (except Sherman Mills which is nice.. but extremely expensive)
- Click on Manayunk/Roxborough .. Those are nice places you should consider

Ask yourself, am I still in undergrad? Or would I like to meet some people who are professional students? ie. MBA, law students, other med students, grad students. If you want to branch out and meet other people/make connections, live near Manayunk. There's even a Drexel Clinic you might rotate through in the Manayunk area. Or live in Center city. I'm currently living in Center City with a UPenn law student but it costs me $1,200/month. Another 2 Drexel students are living downtown (one with a UPenn Med student - the other by himself)

Here is the budget for students

Budget Detail Budget Component Amount Tuition $38,800.00
Fees $1,170.00
Room and Board $13,650.00

$13,650 / 12 = $1,130 per month you are budgeted- Drop it down and find yourself a nice place in Manayunk for like $900. I think 2K a year to NOT live in East Falls is a nice compromise.. especially since your spending 38K on depriving yourself a social life and it will be a drop in the bucket once your a doc. Spend half a decade of my 20s in East Falls? Hell no...:thumbdown:

So... i agree with the east falls situation. Does anyone know anything about germantown? it worries me that everything in germantown is MUCH cheaper than anywhere else. is the neighborhood really bad?

Hey everyone! I was wondering whether anyone has chosen the PIL curriculum??

Yeah PIL!

haha I'll take that as a yes! Our orientation starts the first week in August, right? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find the e-mail I received from the program office!

PS: When people know official dates they are going to Philly, try and post them here. This way other people who are in town those days can try and meet up as well! I think I'll be there in mid-June, but I'll make sure to put the definite dates up soon.

So... i agree with the east falls situation. Does anyone know anything about germantown? it worries me that everything in germantown is MUCH cheaper than anywhere else. is the neighborhood really bad?

Germantown is the town east of East Falls. The reason its so cheap is because its to the right(east) of railroad tracks of R8. As stated before on the Google Map, avoid everything to the east of R8. PhillyCrime.org will verify for you with a nice map that crime escalates from just occasional petty theft near the East Falls area to occasional battery/assault/drugs/homicides in the Germantown area. Why the railroad seems to deter more serious crime? I don't know.. Maybe real estate values?

This does not mean all of Germantown is bad though. Germantown Avenue is bipolar. Near East Falls, its your typical main street in a bad area. However, if you travel north on it, Germantown Ave turns into a nice boutique neighborhood with cobblestone streets. I think it starts being OK about north of Mt Airy & Germantown Avenue (see google maps).

Our orientation starts the first week in August, right? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find the e-mail I received from the program office!

I am doing PIL as well. I believe that I read somewhere that our orientation starts Aug 1st and everyone else's starts on the 3rd. And I believe the White Coat Ceremony is on the 6th.