Drexel or Penn Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koreanwar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you had a choice, would you go to Penn or Drexel for post bac? I already got accepted into Drexel, but I am weighing out the options. I sort of want to go to Drexel because of the location from where I live/work and because they offer a MCAT Prep class for a semester. Also, from the open house, it seemed like they offer a lot more linkages, that is if I do alright :p However, I was just curious about Penn's program. I haven't gotten accepted there yet, but I just wanted to investigate this a bit more before I get the letter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Having gone to both, I think I can help you out. It really depends what your ultimate goal is. The Drexel MSP program (which is the one I think you're referring to) is designed to boost your MCAT and slightly boost your GPA with a couple undergrad classes. Then you can enter in to the IMS program, which I'm in, if you want a master's and to take medical school courses with the opportunity to go to Drexel Med. Good performance in this program assures med schools that you are capable of succeeding with such a rigorous course load.
I worked at Penn for 3 years and they paid for 2 classes a semester for me to finish my pre-reqs. Go to Penn if you have a low GPA since you will have the opportunity to take 4 or 5 undergraduate classes a semester. And on top of that, you get the notorious Ivy League grade inflation. But bear in mind, these are undergraduate level courses (and a few grad if you are applying to a specific program) and med school admissions will treat them as such.
So it comes down to which part of your application needs improving. Don't worry about location, the Drexel Shuttle takes you form the center city campus to west philly even if you have a Penn card.

Shake,

Thanks! I am actually applying to Penn's Evening Program and Drexel Evening Program. These programs aren't for grade enhancement, but they are for people who lack science classes altogether. So it's not really a question of which school do I need to enhance my grades at but which one is structured better for entry into medical school (MCAT prep, Professors, Peers, Structure of Classes, Linkages, Reputation, Cost vs Quality)

Thanks for telling me about THE SHAFT shuttle! And I didn't know Ivy League schools inflated their grades! That was interesting. It was actually my belief that they were tough about grades. But inflation makes sense, since they have to maintain a reputation.

PS Did you ever play the video game on the Internet with the Drexel Shuttle? I'm glad you are a fan of ATHF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drexel's a bit odd because they have it structured over 5 semesters followed by an isolated MCAT period. Not a big fan of that structure. Penn's structure is more traditional. They seemed to be fine with completing everything in one year, plus they have numerous linkages if you do great in the program. If you want to do Penn's program in two years, they're cool with that, too. Penn will give you the CGS price for taking summer classes, which is very nice. Plus, there's the course selection. If you've always wanted to take that one liberal arts class, but didn't get the chance to, Penn will likely have it. If you want to take upper-level sciences, Penn has those, too. Both programs cost about the same.

I'd go with Penn. I couldn't find any real weakness with Penn's program, and Drexel I thought was just ok. Still, there are a variety of opinions about both programs on SDN.

sidewalkman said:
Drexel's a bit odd because they have it structured over 5 semesters followed by an isolated MCAT period. Not a big fan of that structure. Penn's structure is more traditional. They seemed to be fine with completing everything in one year, plus they have numerous linkages if you do great in the program. If you want to do Penn's program in two years, they're cool with that, too. Penn will give you the CGS price for taking summer classes, which is very nice. Plus, there's the course selection. If you've always wanted to take that one liberal arts class, but didn't get the chance to, Penn will likely have it. If you want to take upper-level sciences, Penn has those, too. Both programs cost about the same.

I'd go with Penn. I couldn't find any real weakness with Penn's program, and Drexel I thought was just ok. Still, there are a variety of opinions about both programs on SDN.

Thanks! It's probably going to take my two years either way....but thanks for telling me about the CGS summer price! That's pretty sweet! I wont be taking any more liberal arts classes because thats all I did in undergrad, thus this is why I am where I am at now haha.

Drexel's Evening Program is 3 nights a week. In the fall, you take physics 1 and chem 1. in the spring you take physics 2 and chem 2. in the summer, you take bio 1 and organic chem 1. the following fall, you take bio 2 and organic 2. then its the mcat prep course (which is free) that spring.

koreanwar said:
Thanks! It's probably going to take my two years either way....but thanks for telling me about the CGS summer price! That's pretty sweet! I wont be taking any more liberal arts classes because thats all I did in undergrad, thus this is why I am where I am at now haha.

I would do your post-bacc at Penn. Their post-bacc program is liked to many medical schools.

I am going to be apart of the special science program at Penn.
by the way Koreanwar, the information you gave about Philly was really helpful! Since I have never been to philly i will most likely visiti some time in may to look for apartments near the campus. if i have more questions, do you mind if i ask you?

Trismegistus4 said:
Anyone know what the special summer price is at Penn? I can't find it on their website.

OK, only for the summer classes that meet once a week over 12 weeks do you get the $1100 tuition, IF you are "formally enrolled" in CGS. For all of the other summer classes, you have to pay the regular (and outrageous) tuition of $2000. At least that's what the CGS site leads me to believe. I really apologize for being somewhat misleading, but I went to info sessions at Penn in 2003 and 2004 and could have sworn they said you get the reduced rate for any summer class. Apparently, that's not the case. That said, there are several science classes offered that meet the once-a-week requirement.