Psychology Drexel univ-Clinical psychology in Undergrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been accepted into drexel for coop program for my undergrad in clinical psychology.I have few questions and have to decide asap.

1. What is the scope of this course at undergrad.What courses need to be done after undergrad.
2. Also, Is it worth paying 50k at drexel for clinical psychology for a coop program.

Thank you so much for your response.

I can't speak about the particular coop program for Drexel, but as for the courses required after... it's not "courses" that are required per se if becoming a clinical psychologist is your goal, rather to practice as a licensed psychologist you must obtain a masters and/or PhD or PsyD. Some PhDs and PsyDs require a masters prior to application/entry.

Members don't see this ad.

As with the above Expert, I cannot speak to Drexel's program specifically. I'm also not quite clear on what you mean by the "scope" of the course. I can say that no undergraduate degree will allow you to be licensed to provide therapy in the United States. As MusicDOc mentioned, to practice as a licensed psychologist in the United States, you would need to complete a doctoral program (i.e., Ph.D. or Psy.D.) in clinical, counseling, or (in some instances) school psychology after completing your undergraduate degree. The U.S. does allow for some school psychologists to be licensed at the masters level, which restricts their practice to school settings. Canada also allows for psychologist licensure with a masters degree in some provinces. Individuals with certain masters degrees in other areas, including social work and counseling, can also be licensed, although have different scopes of practice than psychologists.

The average time taken to complete a doctoral degree in clinical or counseling psychology is 5 years of graduate study + 1 year of internship, and the minimum is generally 4 years of graduate school + 1 year of internship. The absolute minimum required by the American Psychological Association (APA) is 3 years of graduate school + 1 year of internship, which is typically only offered when a person already has a masters degree. However, in most instances, having a masters degree does not reduce the length of doctoral study by a significant amount. Many, but not all, states also then require 1 year of postgraduate supervised practice before being license-eligible. And some specialty areas (e.g., neuropsychology) call for completion of specialized postdoctoral fellowships for additional training.

Status
Not open for further replies.