Drexel University Class Of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
snapdad said:
You might try calling 'em and seeing if they'll take a credit card and send stuff to ya. I know there's a bunch of stuff in that Queen Lane bookstore that says Drexel Med on it. I would've gotten a sweatshirt when I was there last, except they were a little pricey for my trip budget.

yea that's what i am going to do tomorrow. I would have bought one at the interview except I didn't want to look like a tool wearing my suit buying a sweatshirt

Members don't see this ad.

snapdad said:
You might try calling 'em and seeing if they'll take a credit card and send stuff to ya. I know there's a bunch of stuff in that Queen Lane bookstore that says Drexel Med on it. I would've gotten a sweatshirt when I was there last, except they were a little pricey for my trip budget.

They do do that-- sorry I didn't think about that yesterday. It's been a long week.

RU2003 said:
I found this webiste for the drexel med bookstore but Im not sure if anything says drexel med on it. You might want to call the bookstore if the website is not helpful.

phone #- 1215-991-8110

website - http://drexel-med.bkstore.com/?s=623398154662|495&m=0101

This website is I think a general website where our bookstore orders merchandise from (Barnes & Noble College Bookstore Website). This isn't our bookstore directly. Personally, I wouldn't risk buying a $25 grey sweatshirt with the hopes that Drexel med will be on it...

Members don't see this ad :)
For all the people who got accepted to Drexel, first of all congrats!
I jsut wanted to get some info and opinions.
I have a 3.6 at Berkeley and a 33 (12 bs, 13 ps, 8 verbal...is verbal too low???) on the MCAT and am a California resident. I spent 6 weeks in Philly and really liked it and would love to go back to the east coast? Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can bolster my app and also if I should retake the mcat. Thanks so much.
---dissapointed Lakers dan :( :idea:

lakersfan said:
For all the people who got accepted to Drexel, first of all congrats!
I jsut wanted to get some info and opinions.
I have a 3.6 at Berkeley and a 33 (12 bs, 13 ps, 8 verbal...is verbal too low???) on the MCAT and am a California resident. I spent 6 weeks in Philly and really liked it and would love to go back to the east coast? Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can bolster my app and also if I should retake the mcat. Thanks so much.
---dissapointed Lakers dan :( :idea:

What kind/amount of volunteering do you have? Clinical experience and volunteering is important here. An 8 is probably alright-- just have everything in early. You have a 3.6, but what is your major and BCPM? Higher or lower?

I was thinking of getting a sweatshirt or t-shirt with Drexel on it (I've seen them elsewhere at sporting goods stores- although it has the Drexel Dragon on it), but I don't know if I am allowed due to my undergrad situation. Drexel is a rival (although not too competitively) of my undergrad, despite the fact that Drexel is not in the Big Five. Which brings up another topic: when you are in Philadelphia, make sure you take advantage of the college basketball. Philly is definitely a college B-ball town. The Big Five games at the Palestra (UPenn's arena) are always fun.

Lakersfan,
Don't worry too much about your MCAT score, its fine. I got a 31 (9 on the verbal) and got accepted early on. Just write a kickass personal statement and make sure you've got good ECs and LORs.

Sorry about your Lakers (I'm saying that with a big smile on my face). Let's go Knicks.

I would just hold out until school starts-- you'll get to see the selection up front, and the stuff really is pretty nice and the stuff I've purchased (for myself and others) has held up well, so the price is high, but not for crappy stuff.... Besides, it feels good to be allowed to wear the "med". :) And that way the rivalry isn't affected as much! :)

In reading about Drexel's new affiliation with St. Peter's I realize that St. Peter's ended a 38 year affiliation with RWJMS. That is crazy. We are stealing in a sense RWJMS's best pediatric and OB/GYN affiliation in my opinion.

WOW. Also I read on another thread that Abington Memorial is now affiliated with Temple....so should we assumne that if they are going to be affiliated with Drexel...they are no longer going to be affiliated with Temple...?

Any other news?

looks like i'm going to get all B's this quarter, that hasn't happened in awhile, how did everyone else do?

MErc44 said:
looks like i'm going to get all B's this quarter, that hasn't happened in awhile, how did everyone else do?

Oddly enough, with minimal work my last semester, I got A's or A-'s in everything except Biochem, which I got a B in. I hate biochem, I've always hated biochem, and I always will hate biochem. Immunology, on the other hand, I enjoyed.

Immunology and biochem were my only two tough classes. The rest of my schedule was pretty cushy, so I guess I shouldn't get too comfortable.

that's pretty lucky. I also did minimal work but it was still shocking to see B's, thank god I don't have to worry about getting in off a waiting list as these grades wouldn't be worth sending.

I have another question. Have any of you guys bought a laptop yet? I was looking on the website and there are promotional deals with dell and other companies. Anyway, I am struggling with the decision over centrino or M processors vs good old P4 processor. I see that the centrino processors are so much slower, 1.5 GHz compared to regular p4 with 2.8GHz. I know I won't be playing games on my laptop but my desktop right now is 800MHz and I bought it 4 years ago so it seems stupid to buy a laptop with only 1.5GHz after so much time has passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
MErc44 said:
I have another question. Have any of you guys bought a laptop yet? I was looking on the website and there are promotional deals with dell and other companies. Anyway, I am struggling with the decision over centrino or M processors vs good old P4 processor. I see that the centrino processors are so much slower, 1.5 GHz compared to regular p4 with 2.8GHz. I know I won't be playing games on my laptop but my desktop right now is 800MHz and I bought it 4 years ago so it seems stupid to buy a laptop with only 1.5GHz after so much time has passed.

I've been shopping. Although I like Dell, I think the computers offered through the deal with school are a tad pricey. I went to Best Buy and found an eMachines M6805 that I really like, and I prefer AMD Athlon processors over Intel any day of the week. It was around $1200 after the rebates.

MErc44 said:

I read somewhere that the P4 processors are not very efficient in terms of battery life and the M processors are improved in that department, but are thus more expensive. I don't know if I would go with a centrino processor if you want the computer to last 4 years.

I was leaning towards Dell, but I'm going to shop around a bit first. I had an IBM Thinkpad for 4+ years that really doesn't owe me a penny. It's way out of date right now, but I have no major complaints. Microsoft software on the other hand...:mad:

Check out reviews on cnet. There is a notebook buying guide on there.

i have a dell, and i wasn't very pleased with it. for one, they are very very heavy which makes carrying around a pain. The sonys and apples are nice.

I bought a brand new sealed SONY Vaio laptop from a "power seller" on EBAY for 1200, despite it retailing for like 1600 or more.

Ebay has some great deals for laptops and if you look at someones feedback and it's good, especially if they are a power seller, I would say it's safe to buy from.

I've had mine for almost a year and I think its the best computer I have ever had. Sony vaio's have amazing features and reliability in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

RU

RU2003 said:
Ebay has some great deals for laptops and if you look at someones feedback and it's good, especially if they are a power seller, I would say it's safe to buy from.

I have to agree about eBay. Although I've never bought a computer on eBay, I've bought tons of other things there, and have never had a bad experience. :thumbup:

Has anyone here been accepted off the waitlist?

This is a question for current students. When is the first tuition payment due? This is starting to cause me some anxiety as I am not sure if I will be going to Drexel and I don't want to have to pay tuition before classes start.

From what I can remember, we received our fin aid checks about a week or two after school began, and our tuition was taken out of that. Exactly when that transaction occured, I have no idea. Why don't you try calling the fin aid office and check?

Hi everyone,

Arghhh, orientation is getting closer, can you believe it? I got back from my pre-matruculation vacation and realized how close I am to starting med school.

Did anyone receive the letter about the installment payment plan? Ms. Doctor, are you using this method to pay your tuition?

I saw we lost ForensicPath to Jeff, but congrats to him.

Am I the only one who still doesn't have a place to live?

i'm in cali and still haven't done a single thing. hehe

myID said:
Did anyone receive the letter about the installment payment plan? Ms. Doctor, are you using this method to pay your tuition?

I missed that Forensic got into Jeff. Congrats!!! Our path professor-- a wonderful woman-- went there.

As for intstallment payment plan? What's that? The way my tuition is paid is that Drexel gets my loan money, they take out the tuition for that term, and then I get the rest-- this happens in the summer months (July/August depending on your year-- 3rd and 4th in July) and then around January when we come back from winter break. I'm curious what the installment plan is-- are you paying for some of the tuition out of pocket?

Ms.Doctor said:
I missed that Forensic got into Jeff. Congrats!!! Our path professor-- a wonderful woman-- went there.

As for intstallment payment plan? What's that? The way my tuition is paid is that Drexel gets my loan money, they take out the tuition for that term, and then I get the rest-- this happens in the summer months (July/August depending on your year-- 3rd and 4th in July) and then around January when we come back from winter break. I'm curious what the installment plan is-- are you paying for some of the tuition out of pocket?

First of all...CONGRATS to ForensicPath! :clap:

As for the installment payment plan...we got a brochure from school in the mail the other day outlining a plan, administered by Higher Education Services in Harrisburg, that lets us pay tuition, fees, and health insurance over 10 months. It does seem to be for folks who are paying out of pocket. Although it does say something in the brochure about still being eligible for financial aid in the payment program, I'm not sure what the point is if you're paying tuition and living off financial aid.

That's interesting. I'd gather that it's for people who are paying for part or all of their fees out of pocket. I knew a lot of people that had significant others that helped support them and/or family-- I should ask around and see if that's what they did.

Thanks all. You will have a great time at Drexel. Philadelphia is a fun place to be.

hey all--i posted this on a new thread because i forgot about this one---anyone going to Stiles Hall?? I just found out there's only 2/3 bedrooms, meaning I'll need a roommate--anyone looking there, got a room? Let me know. I can't find anything to rent anywhere.

Also--Ms. Doctor--do you know anyone who lives/lived there? It's in Center City which is cool.

Thanks

myID said:
Hi everyone,

Arghhh, orientation is getting closer, can you believe it? I got back from my pre-matruculation vacation and realized how close I am to starting med school.

Am I the only one who still doesn't have a place to live?

no place to live either, being in california doesn't help matters

MErc44 said:
no place to live either, being in california doesn't help matters

It sucks trying to find a place cross-country if you don't have the time or cash to fly out and physically visit places. I ended up getting my place sight-unseen, as did my gf for grad school. The people I dealt with were pretty cool about it...the current occupants went through and took digital pics of everything and emailed 'em to me and I had a long phone conversation with the landlord, but there's still some trust factor involved. What I finally decided was, the peace of mind of not having to worry about finding a place outweighed the hassle of having to do it long-distance...and worst-case scenario, if the place sucks, it's only for a year.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to shout out and say that I'll be at Drexel this year. Thought I was going to Temple, but I changed my mind at the last minute... Anyways, I'm psyched for next year although it seems like it's coming up a little too fast.

DrBodacious said:
Hi everyone. Just wanted to shout out and say that I'll be at Drexel this year. Thought I was going to Temple, but I changed my mind at the last minute... Anyways, I'm psyched for next year although it seems like it's coming up a little too fast.

Congrats to Dr.Bodacious :clap:

I have been emailing a bunch of Apartments, but no one has gotten back to me. I want to fly out and do some house hunting, but not if there are no vacancies.

The best way to contact apartments is through calling, unfortunately. I tried doing the email thing through those websites (i.e. forrent.com or homestore.com) but I don't think the messages go through like they should....

Ms.Doctor said:
The best way to contact apartments is through calling, unfortunately. I tried doing the email thing through those websites (i.e. forrent.com or homestore.com) but I don't think the messages go through like they should....

I'd keep craigslist.org in mind too...I had great luck with them. But I agree, call rather than email the landlords when you can. I got aced out of a couple of potentially good places when I tried email because it took people forever to get back to me, by which time the apartment was taken.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/

Another thing I'd recommend is posting your own "Apartment Wanted" ad. It's free on craigslist, and I got a couple of really good responses for apartments and roommates this way.

To everyone looking for health insurance besides drexel's affiliated plan. I recently purchased health insurance especially for students. It's an indemnity plan which allows you to go to any doctor or hospital of your choosing since it's not an HMO or PPO. I picked the smallest deductible and then after that they pay 80%.

Go to www.ehealthinsurance.com and click on student medical. The ones there are all at least 500 less per year than drexel's.

Just thought I would share this with you.

SO WHO'S GOING TO ANY OF THE ORIENTATION ACITIVIES THAT THEY SENT OUT.

ru2003

seriously, I wonder how many people plan on going to those activities. I'm not sure if I am going to go, I know it is supposed to be a way to meet people but I still haven't decided. How about this bull****. I got my antibody titers back today and it turns out I have no immunity against Hep B. WTF???, I had to get a booster shot today and get another titer done at the end of July right before orientation. I couldn't believe that I had no Ab's, it made me question all the other immunizations i got at my pediatrician.

RU2003 said:
SO WHO'S GOING TO ANY OF THE ORIENTATION ACITIVIES THAT THEY SENT OUT.

I'm planning on going with my gf. I think they should be fun.

i don't know about them either. Meanwhile, I guess I'll be the only medstudent @ Stiles--wtf! I feel like this is undergrad all over again.... :sleep:

Shakenotstirred said:
i don't know about them either. Meanwhile, I guess I'll be the only medstudent @ Stiles--wtf! I feel like this is undergrad all over again.... :sleep:

Is Stiles the places next to Hahnemann Hospital? If so, don't worry about it, it is right in the middle of all the action of Center City with plenty to do. You are literally only a couple blocks walk from some decent bars and the such, not to mention a quick taxi ride to the Delaware Ave (technically, I think it may be called Christopher Columbus Blvd. now though) happenings in Olde City. Definitely more to do in Center City than Queen Lane.

HI everybody
Shak..don't worry about living in Stiles..I will bel living in Center city as well and will be riding shuttle bus with you :) Shuttle is not very fun but it's ok...and there will be more study places for us at Hahnemann library...Center city social scene is pretty nice
I think we should all go to social events...it's a great way to meet people and relax before the school starts...otherwise you would be sitting at your place and will be doing nothing..
see you all soon :love:

hey russian chick,

know of any cool apts in center city? i seriously don't wanna live near the queen lane campus. i think i would go crazy with nothing to do.
tower apts are nice =)

thanks

russian chick said:
HI everybody
Shak..don't worry about living in Stiles..I will bel living in Center city as well and will be riding shuttle bus with you :) Shuttle is not very fun but it's ok...and there will be more study places for us at Hahnemann library...Center city social scene is pretty nice
I think we should all go to social events...it's a great way to meet people and relax before the school starts...otherwise you would be sitting at your place and will be doing nothing..
see you all soon :love:

what place? Haha

myID said:
Congrats to Dr.Bodacious :clap:

TY!

I just got the packet with stuff about orientation week. It looks like there will be some fun stuff! Two nights w/ open bars. Unfortunately I'll miss the white coat cerimony and the party on Friday 'cause I'll be flying out to Utah for my bro's wedding. I might miss the first day of classes too. I only have one brother, and my guess is that he's only getting married once...

Here's a fin aid question...

I originally sent in my stafford loan application with the forms sent to us, and I had called a few weeks ago and the lady said I had everything in that was required. However today I got another copy of the Promissory note in the mail, with the same info on it (except it was all typed in for me) to mail in. Did anyone else get this? I really don't undertsand why I have these again if I already filled them out and the office said I had everything into them.

thanks!

Yeah, I received the same packet today and I dont understand what they are doing. I spoke to them several times about changing from medloans to THE and they said it was taken care of and they still sent me a MPN for MELOANS today.

RU2003 said:
Yeah, I received the same packet today and I dont understand what they are doing. I spoke to them several times about changing from medloans to THE and they said it was taken care of and they still sent me a MPN for MELOANS today.

SAME SHIZIT HERE TOO. I am too annoyed right now. I guess I will be calling in the morning to find out what is going on. First of all, I never even sent them a MPN for MEDLOANS lol. So to receive a copy of one typed up for me to sign is hilarious. I will call tomorrow to ensure they have received my THE promissary for Staffords. Now, I did sign a MPN for Alternative Loans. I don't mind getting my private loans from MEDLOANS but I am definitely not getting Staffords from there.

I'll post whatever they say.

Hey is anyone experiencing problems getting in touch with the student financial affairs office. I keep calling and the phone keeps ringing. I have called other departments within drexel med and have gotten through. So i know it isnt my phone. Anyone else with this problem> I am literally down th eblock from there, so I jus tmight have to show my pretty face. :)

you better go in person bull---my phone's been doing the same thing. I think they're overrun.

Also, anyone doing PIL? I'm still on the fence...I think I hate having to end my summer a week short because of it...i heard that PIL was kinda losing popularity, too much work or some bs like that. As of now, in IFM, but looking to maybe change...anyone?