Drexel vs. SUNY Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone.

I need a bit of advice. I recently got accepted to Drexel and I am not sure what to do. I really like SUNY buffalo for a variety of reasons but I also liked Drexel too. What i'm concerned about is the quality of education either one offers. Which one is better? Location wise, i know which one i'd prefer but i'm more concerned about my education and how i'll fit into the school. Plus the in state tuition is a plus at Buffalo. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY-Buffalo is better...Drexel is good too. If I got accepted to Drexel only, I would go there. But SUNY-Buffalo seems to be more popular.

Originally posted by Vgirl
HI everyone.

I need a bit of advice. I recently got accepted to Drexel and I am not sure what to do. I really like SUNY buffalo for a variety of reasons but I also liked Drexel too. What i'm concerned about is the quality of education either one offers. Which one is better? Location wise, i know which one i'd prefer but i'm more concerned about my education and how i'll fit into the school. Plus the in state tuition is a plus at Buffalo. What do you guys think?

Buffalo.

Tempting to save 100Gs and go to Buffalo as long as you can stand the snow.

I got into Drexel and was waitlisted at Buffalo. If I get into Buffalo, I would go there. Yeah, Buffalo is really far up there and Drexel is in Philly, but to me, location would not offset the cost. Plus, be sure to take into account that Buffalo students get out of class by noon!

...interested to hear what others have to say on this.

definitely take the in-state tuition. congratulations, by the way!!

Thanks nibrocli. You're so nice.

Thanks everyone for your replies but can you guys also include why buffalo besides the price? I'm not really sure if the education between the two is exactly the same and i want to know what ppl think about drexel or buffalo education wise. Though the price of the school is important i'm trying to figure out the other factors that play into my decision.

Also, can I hold two acceptances at the same time? I heard schools may reject you if you do that..... what's the real deal?

:)

Some months ago, there was a certain poster, I think his name was "DoctorLawyer," who had a phrase he told everyone who asked this sort of question (paraphrased because I don't know if I've got it exactly):

"I hear that Medical School of the United States is very good. It's a small school; they don't even have a basketball team!"

The point is that any differences between schools are pretty minor. Except for a few schools like Harvard or JH which have cache, I don't think it really matters where you go. Drexel does have some of its students in PBL, so that might be a consideration. Your main considerations should be location and cost. Buffalo wins on cost by a long shot-- I'd pick it over Drexel unless you have a really pressing need to be in Philly.

Naphtali

Naphtali , you should be studying, you have an exam in Brain and Behavior today at 8 am.

Originally posted by Vgirl
Thanks nibrocli. You're so nice.

Thanks everyone for your replies but can you guys also include why buffalo besides the price? I'm not really sure if the education between the two is exactly the same and i want to know what ppl think about drexel or buffalo education wise. Though the price of the school is important i'm trying to figure out the other factors that play into my decision.

Also, can I hold two acceptances at the same time? I heard schools may reject you if you do that..... what's the real deal?

:)

of course you can hold more than one acceptance at a time. but you can only do this until May 15th is it? sometime around then. this is when you have to decide to what school you will attend and withdraw your acceptances from the other schools that you have one for. however you can still be on waitlists during this time along with having that 1 acceptance. but when the waitlisted school calls you up and says that you got in, then you have to make a decision right away.

now about buff and drexel...
im sure the quality of education between the med schools will not be so great that you will feel that you are missing out on something. the difference in tuition however is. even though i think you might get more clinical experience at drexel...but i dont know if this worth the tuition difference...esp. since you can do rotations elsewhere your 4th year anyway.

The quality of the education between these schools will not differ significantly.Buffalo is affiliated with Roswell Park Cancer Institute,a major cancer center.I would feel good about either place.

...aside from price and location....

I know Buffalo has cool programs to do during your clinical rotation years. This includes going abroad, etc.
Like I said before, the students are out of lecture by 12:00 - something I would absolutely love. There is also more research opportunities at Buffalo than at Drexel, in my opinion - especially if you're into Cancer research (Roswell Park Cancer Institute).
The only real drawback to me was the anatomy lab - kind of small. This, however, is only a small factor.
Do a search on the SUNY's - there are a lot of threads that give great info on these schools, including Buffalo.

The good thing about Drexel to me was the curriculum - but this is only something that would be good if you really want to get out of a traditional lecture style class. Also, I think that the student body is much different than Buffalo's. They are generally a bit older (obviously by not that much though) and the student body is very large (around 230).
One important thing to know about Drexel is that one of their hospitals closed - MCP Hospital. This may have an effect on rotations, etc. even though Drexel still has like 20 other hospitals in Philly that it's affiliated with.

Aside from all I mentioned above, I still think price and location are more important than any of that - just because in terms of student satisfaction, curriculum, and reputation, they're not all that different.

Go with the best match list: Buffalo.

as a resident looking back -- it's a no brainer -- go to buffalo.

go to a state school unless money is not an issue for you.

you'll get good medical training wherever.

an aside though, don't make choices based on residency match list. who cares where anyone else goes. it's where you go that counts. you can get whichever residency you want if you work hard enough.

unless you get accepted into one of the top 10 med schools (by name -- ie harvard) not worth it to spend money. you'll see eventually -- i truly believe that residency is more important than med school. not having debt would be great or having less of it at least