Drinking water during virtual interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted887473

I have gotten used to the habit of having a cup of water next to me during zoom calls... would sipping during interviews be considered rude?
Edit: I have diabetes and drink a lot in general, but I can for sure manage without drinking for the duration of the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I have gotten used to the habit of having a cup of water next to me during zoom calls... would sipping during interviews be considered rude?
Edit: I have diabetes and drink a lot in general, but I can for sure manage without drinking for the duration of the interview.
Definitely not !!!! You are fine !!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
At my school we give interviewees a bottle of water during regular interviews, so it's fine to sip water. Hell, I do it during interviews!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Assert your dominance over the interviewer by putting water in a vodka bottle. Then chug it all down while making intense eye contact with the interviewer.

Jk don't do that. I sipped on tea during the interview, and they ended up asking me about what tea I liked.

• Haha
Can you not drink water for 30 minutes? Then you have a break and can chug or slurp or sip until then next interview. I think that it is the ideal. If you need to take a sip, I'd suggest saying "excuse me" and then taking a drink. If you drink before and after the interview itself, you should be fine for the duration of the interview (assuming it is not >40 minutes).

Can you not drink water for 30 minutes? Then you have a break and can chug or slurp or sip until then next interview. I think that it is the ideal. If you need to take a sip, I'd suggest saying "excuse me" and then taking a drink. If you drink before and after the interview itself, you should be fine for the duration of the interview (assuming it is not >40 minutes).
I think that's what I will do, thank you :)

TBH, this is far easier when you are the interviewer! :cool:

I don't know anyone else, but, for me, it's not that I'm thirsty and cannot control myself; it's that if I'm nervous (as many people will be during a high stakes interview), my throat tends to get dry. The water helps a LOT in cases like that!

Reactions: 1 users
I think OP watched Trump-Rubio water drinking episode :)

• Haha
No drink > drinking water >>> wine or vodka, etc.

I don't know anyone else, but, for me, it's not that I'm thirsty and cannot control myself; it's that if I'm nervous (as many people will be during a high stakes interview), my throat tends to get dry. The water helps a LOT in cases like that!

Thus it is perfectly fine to clear your throat, say, "excuse me" and take some water. That said, during in person interviews, I've almost never had an applicant take a drink of water.

Thus it is perfectly fine to clear your throat, say, "excuse me" and take some water. That said, during in person interviews, I've almost never had an applicant take a drink of water.
And, if it wasn't offered, I've never actually taken a drink. But, at some interviews I've been on (not med school admissions), bottles of water have been offered (as at @Goro's school) and I've always indulged when given the opportunity! Much better than getting hoarse and clearing my throat!!! :cool:

You can also take a sip when you need a few seconds to think --

You can also just take a few seconds to think. Surprising how reluctant people are to do that...

Reactions: 2 users
I think it`s ok to drink water during interviews, a lot of people do it.

I drank water during my In person interviews

Just updating this thread with the significant information that I made it through interviews for two schools this week without having to drink water during any meetings. #itsthelittlethings :giggle: