Driver License/Registration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exPCM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In most states, a full time student who comes from out of state does not have to get a new driver license and registration (they can keep the ones from their home state). Does this apply to those of us in fulltime graduate medical education (residents and fellows)?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the issue here is that, as a student, your "permanent address" usually remains as your home address, not your school address. When you become a resident you will become a permanent resident of that new location, and hence will be required to get a new driver's license.

I expect the rules are state based, but I expect that each state has those rules written such that they get their "pound of flesh" (i.e. your license/registration fees)

Also depends on the state re: your car registration. I had to get a GA driver's license to register my car and buy my tags.

I don't understand why being a resident is different from going to college. Just do it the same way.

I don't understand why being a resident is different from going to college. Just do it the same way.

well, you are employed. and depending on what state you were in for medical school, what state you're in for residency, and where you plan on staying after residency affect whether or not you should get a driver's license in the state in which you are doing your residency.

since you're being paid, you have to pay taxes, at least federal. the license doesn't matter for that. however, depending on the state, you may have to pay state income tax. this is where it gets tricky and the license matters.

from my understanding, if you try to claim that you're not a resident of the state in which you work, you still may have to pay taxes for the portion of the year that you are in that state.
also, if you moved far enough away from medical school to do your residency, you may be able to claim moving expenses (as relates to a job) on your taxes... but only if you became a resident of the state to which you moved.

Being employed and paying taxes is irrelevant. My understanding is that it's only dependent on how long you're staying in that state. You can work in college too and pay taxes and you don't have to transfer your registration or get a new license. I'm no expert but I'm currently doing it. So I may be in gross violation of some law or something but nobody has bothered me about it.

Being employed and paying taxes is irrelevant. My understanding is that it's only dependent on how long you're staying in that state. You can work in college too and pay taxes and you don't have to transfer your registration or get a new license. I'm no expert but I'm currently doing it. So I may be in gross violation of some law or something but nobody has bothered me about it.

Are you paying tuition? How many credit hours are you taking this semester? Do you hold a medical license in the state you are claiming residency or is it somewhere else.

Residency is not considered "school," even if it is training. In order to maintain out of state residency, you generally have to be a full time student. So, your work to school ratio is important.

Assuming that you are paying at the "out of state" tax rate (and that rate is higher than the in state rate) and are paying your other state what would be due, you're right in that it is unlikely it will become a problem. The issue comes about when something happens...you lose your driver's license and need a new one...car accident...etc. These large hassels can be come even larger if you have not appropriately declared residency.

Unless there is some really great reason to attempt the fiction of keeping your old residence, why not just comply with the law?

What? What does your driver's license have to do with taxes at all? I have an out-of-state license and I pay in-state rates, which apparently is something you're extremely concerned about for some odd reason. Next you're going to demand some W-2s or something. Get over yourself.

What? What does your driver's license have to do with taxes at all? I have an out-of-state license and I pay in-state rates, which apparently is something you're extremely concerned about for some odd reason. Next you're going to demand some W-2s or something. Get over yourself.

Your driver's license is usually tied to your state of residence. Most states that I have lived in require you to change things such as your drivers license and registration to the new state once you are a resident in that state.

Some states have different tax rates for state residents versus non-residents who earn income in the state. So if you are maintaining out of state residency and paying at the in state tax rate, you may be in violation of your state's income tax laws...and that is something they will come after you for. You may also have to file and pay in the state you are claiming as your state of residence or risk being in violation of their laws as well.

As a final point, if you have not notified your insurance company that your vehicle is parked at a new address, then you may be committing fraud. If they find out, they may deny claims, charge you the difference or cancel your policy altogether.

This information is for your own edification and the education of others, especially as you gave incorrect information. What you do is not my concern, but remember that breaking state laws may get you hauled in front of your medical board.

You're hilarious. My insurance company knows where I live and where my car is registered. I guess they're in on my grand scheme to steal money from, from the children! And then lose my license! And then my car will be repossessed! And then I'll be poor and then ironically I won't have to pay taxes! All because I was a dictator and didn't do what BADMD wanted me to. This Ponzi scheme of illegal drug running did me in. Sorry for the misinformation, guys.

as was mentioned before, where you live/reside is completely relevant.
for instance, some insurance companies only operate in certain states. i.e., if you go out of state, you're not covered. also, depending on the car insurance coveratge you have, you may or may not be covered going out of stae. the op did not give us details on what state he/she's from, and what state he/she's going to.

some health insurances only cover you in state, and you're s.o.l. otherwise.

as mentioned earlier, different states have different tax rates for visiting professionals than they do for residing professionals. also, you may only qualify for certain "loopholes" if you are a resident.

for example, in order to claim moving expenses on your tax forms, you'd have to move over a certain distance (>500 miles from what i remember). but, part of moving requires becoming a resident of a new area (unless of course you're in the same state, which would likely only happen in california or texas).

also, at least during your intern year, you only work for 5 months... but the money you earn is for the entire 12 months. in some states, the amount you make for the 5 months may be below a certain minimum, thus entitling you to a refund. in other states, this amount may not be at that minimum.

OP:

How about going on your states DMV and tax commissioners website and look up the information ?

My current state required me to change registration within 30 days and license within 60. A year in, I indeed changed registration (you don't need a DL to register a car). 2 years later, when my old license expired I got a new one in-state, nobody ever asked. If they find out, it is something like a 'class N misdemeanor' with a 'stern talking to' as punishment (but then again, around here blowing a stop-sign is $25).

Other states burn you at the stake if you have a car registered but your license expires.

One place I lived at before, you could go to the local DMV to get a 'temporary resident permit' for up to a year at a time if you dindn't want to change registration (e.g. for a 1 year fellowship). It allowed them to get your out of state plates and your in-state address into their cops on-board computers so they know where to send the tickets or where to find you if you ran over a granny at the cross-walk.

Your insurer does care where your car is parked at night. They might charge you a rider if you want to go out of state temporarily.

For purposes of in-state taxation (or rather, exemption from it), the state does care whether you have a car registered and whether you applied for an 'resident deer license' in the past year.

Around here, people have lake homes in the neighbouring state. That states tax authority goes around the lakes at night and take down license plates. If they see your car parked in their state more than 5 nights a year, they send you an income tax assessment as a part-year resident (but they are pricks anyway).