Driving myself crazy overthinking everything I said during my interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted877060

I'm a current MD applicant, waiting to hear back after 2 interviews. I have been having trouble sleeping and staying focused at work because I cannot stop worrying that I screwed up all those interviews. Everything I see would remind me of some stupid thing I said to my interviewers. I interviewed at my top choice a few days ago and cannot stop thinking that I did terribly on it, even though I can't pinpoint why I feel this way. I couldn't sleep at all last night just thinking of all the ways that my interviewers could interpret what I said.

I think I am at least average at interviewing, but I cannot stop my self-sabotaging mindset. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Take a deep breath. They're not going to place you in a guillotine if you did mess up. Eat good, get sunlight/vitamin D, get fresh air. Do what you enjoy and live a little. I know it's a lot of talk coming from someone that's just pre-med and not even under the strain of the application cycle right now, but honestly, you can do little to change it I'd guess. I've read here and there people felt like trash after their interviews and were surprised to receive an A there, but don't get overly optimistic about it.

What you can do is focus on reapplication and target your weak points and live a little.

Reactions: 3 users
No advice, but I just wanted to say you're not alone. My situation isn't as extreme, but it just sucks to have it constantly on your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
1610593260344.png

What's done is done. Nothing you do now will change your outcome. So spend your time doing something useful while waiting for your decision to be released. Applicants are often poor judges of their own performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
There's no use obsessing over something that you can't change now. Just try to change for the better for any future medical school (or residency) interviews. That said, I still sometimes think about how I could have done better in my medical school interviews as an applicant last cycle. :smack:

View attachment 327418

What's done is done. Nothing you do now will change your outcome. So spend your time doing something useful while waiting for your decision to be released. Applicants are often poor judges of their own performance.
This^^^^^. Also, try to keep in mind that the interview is only one of several metrics used to make decisions. Avoid falling into the pre-med and SDN trap of thinking that once you get to the interview, it is all that matters. It isn't.

Many people on the upper level of @LizzyM's staircase will have merely okay interviews and receive As while some on the lower level will have great interviews and still be WL, or even R. You have no idea where you are on the staircase, so just try to chill.

And, as everyone is saying and as hard as it is (I am guilty as well), try not to obsess on what is done. Don't repeat what you consider mistakes going forward, but it's unproductive and self destructive to waste energy beating yourself up over things that might not be problems, and that you cannot change even if they are.

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 327418

Haha thanks Batman. My brain needs that.

I have another interview coming up on Friday and I'm feeling so nervous. :arghh:

• Love
Worrying won't change a thing at this point. If you can think of any areas of weakness, focus on how you can improve for the next interview. Fold your hands in your lap, project warmth, and be conversational. Avoid presenting a canned response and work your main points into the conversation. Don't focus on what you think I want to hear, but what you believe to be your best answer. Usually, there are no right or wrong answers. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
This is exactly me except I have no upcoming interviews and I can't stop thinking about my top choice where I felt like I did badly which might release decisions soon

I'm a current MD applicant, waiting to hear back after 2 interviews. I have been having trouble sleeping and staying focused at work because I cannot stop worrying that I screwed up all those interviews. Everything I see would remind me of some stupid thing I said to my interviewers. I interviewed at my top choice a few days ago and cannot stop thinking that I did terribly on it, even though I can't pinpoint why I feel this way. I couldn't sleep at all last night just thinking of all the ways that my interviewers could interpret what I said.

I think I am at least average at interviewing, but I cannot stop my self-sabotaging mindset. Any advice would be appreciated.
Talk to a counselor or therapist . This is NOT giving medical advice.

And stay busy.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest reading the book "The Happiness Trap". This is not giving medical advice nor asking you to buy anything (your library should have it).

• Love