Technology DROID vs. iPhone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have good wifi wherever you are going to use the device then getting an iPhone vs. an iPod Touch would be mostly about merging your phone and PDA. Other than the camera on the iPhone, there would be little difference.

Don't count on being able to access any EMR on a device unless the IT department specifically says that it supports remote access on a particular platform or a web browser.

Members don't see this ad.

IDK if it is just my facility, but WiFi seems to work better on the iPhone v the Touch. (I have both. Don't ask.) For that matter, WiFi overall seems to just work better.

In theory, you'd think there should be no difference, but I've gotten onto the net with my iPhone in places where my Touch wouldn't work. Battery life seems to be longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
IDK if it is just my facility, but WiFi seems to work better on the iPhone v the Touch. (I have both. Don't ask.) For that matter, WiFi overall seems to just work better.
You mean WiFi overall works better than browsing on the 3G network? That would make sense.

I wonder what changes are in store for the 4th gen versions which hopefully are coming out by July.

Does anyone know if Netter is going to put out droid apps anytime soon?

You mean WiFi overall works better than browsing on the 3G network? That would make sense.

I wonder what changes are in store for the 4th gen versions which hopefully are coming out by July.

I don't think that's what she means. In other words, her Wifi reception is better with the iPhone than the iPod touch.

This really is pretty sensible. Just because they're shaped the same, doesn't mean the internal components are the same. The length and placement of the Wifi antenna could easily lead to differences in Wifi reception. Further, the iPod has a metal back, which blocks signal more than a plastic back a la the iPhone. So, it makes sense that the iPhone could pick up better Wifi signals compared to the iPod.

Had the Droid in December, my sister and I went through 4 Droids because the sound quality was TERRIBLE, constantly sounded like I was talking talking to the other person through a long-hallway.

The Droid never worked for me in its most simple and intrinsic role, as a phone.

I vastly preferred the user interface of the Droid to the iPhone I have now, but it simply didn't do its job. Returned it and jumped ship to AT&T, service is decent and the iPhone is slick, yet feels oversimplified in a lot of ways.

My 2 cents.

I don't think that's what she means. In other words, her Wifi reception is better with the iPhone than the iPod touch.

This really is pretty sensible. Just because they're shaped the same, doesn't mean the internal components are the same. The length and placement of the Wifi antenna could easily lead to differences in Wifi reception. Further, the iPod has a metal back, which blocks signal more than a plastic back a la the iPhone. So, it makes sense that the iPhone could pick up better Wifi signals compared to the iPod.

That's exactly what I meant. Now, if only you were available to go with me later today; I'm taking my car to the garage. Maybe you'd be better at explaining my car's problem. :laugh:

what about nexus one v. iphone?

im on tmobile, and using a 2g unlocked iphone. im up for renewal and considering either keeping my iphone or getting the nexus one.

I'm on AT&T and about to upgrade to my first smart phone. I figured since I'm already on AT&T I should opt for the iPhone, but my anti-iPhone little brother just got the Backflip (android) and there is a two-for-one deal, so I could potentially get the phone for free. Anyone have the Backflip and have strong feelings one way or another? I'm starting medical school this fall, so I have no idea about the pros/cons of either phone in relation to medically related apps and uses.

Thanks.

what about nexus one v. iphone?

im on tmobile, and using a 2g unlocked iphone. im up for renewal and considering either keeping my iphone or getting the nexus one.

I just ordered my nexus one after doing some research. I'm still a first year, so don't really need apps that much. I was debating btw nexus one, nokia n900 (that things a BEAST - pretty much a PC with mobile ability), and the Iphone.

But seriously, the nexus one is the next big thing. Doesn't have that many apps as the Iphone (duh!), but its everything the Iphone shld have been...then more. IMO of course.

I just ordered my nexus one after doing some research. I'm still a first year, so don't really need apps that much. I was debating btw nexus one, nokia n900 (that things a BEAST - pretty much a PC with mobile ability), and the Iphone.

But seriously, the nexus one is the next big thing. Doesn't have that many apps as the Iphone (duh!), but its everything the Iphone shld have been...then more. IMO of course.
How so?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a good medical spanish app for android as well, it seems like the development on android for medical apps is going pretty well and that there will be no shortage of apps.

I am going to be going for Android as well - for the simple reason that AT&T service is horrendous in my area. I'm glad to hear that all is moving well on the app front.

In America, the Droid phone is now even bigger than Jesus.

Eh, WebOs isn't all that great. Palm is circling the drain. Look at their stock price, over the past year they have gone from a high of 17 per share to now at 3.91 per share. If that doesn't tell you that the company isn't doing well I don't know what will.

Their stock price is a reflection how investors see the company based on their unit sales and a variety of other data. While there may be a core of Palm Pre loyalists out there, just look at the data and you'll see Palm is a marginal player in the smartphone market because they don't have products that most consumers want.

I'll be surprised Palm is still around in 5 years as its own independent company

Eh, WebOs isn't all that great. Palm is circling the drain. Look at their stock price, over the past year they have gone from a high of 17 per share to now at 3.91 per share. If that doesn't tell you that the company isn't doing well I don't know what will.

Their stock price is a reflection how investors see the company based on their unit sales and a variety of other data. While there may be a core of Palm Pre loyalists out there, just look at the data and you'll see Palm is a marginal player in the smartphone market because they don't have products that most consumers want.

I'll be surprised Palm is still around in 5 years as its own independent company

That doesn't mean that WebOS was bad, just that it suffered from poor marketing (Sprint exclusivity is not a good way to go) and unimpressive hardware. It's hard to fault the actual OS other than its lack of apps, a direct result of low market share.

That doesn't mean that WebOS was bad, just that it suffered from poor marketing (Sprint exclusivity is not a good way to go) and unimpressive hardware. It's hard to fault the actual OS other than its lack of apps, a direct result of low market share.
But as a viable product it failed, people don't want it. Individuals don't feel like the Palm offerings are really desirable. Palm used to be on top but a lack of innovation to put out consumer goods that individuals want has led them down this road. I haven't used WebOS before so I can't speak for it's merits and it might be a good OS but no matter how good an OS is it doesn't matter if it doesn't generate a profit for the company (unless the company isn't looking for profits)

I want it. They still don't sell it here in Australia. Or Asia.

I believe you can count the number of Palm Pre/Pixi carriers with one hand. Blame exclusivity deals. Blame Sprint.

How many carriers is the iPhone with around the world? The iPhone is on every single phone carrier in Australia. Thats a lot of options and competition.

So I wouldn't call Palm out yet. Palms offerings not desirable? Thats completely subjective. I have a broken iPhone (now it only works as an iPod) and I have an opportunity to upgrade but I won't because I know how awesome Synergy is.

And I've also used the iPhone before so I know how frustrating the phone is -- have you ever tried using it with one hand?

You live in the States so you should at least give the Palm Pre a go at your local Best Buy, Sprint, Verizon store before you call it off.

I want it. They still don't sell it here in Australia. Or Asia.

I believe you can count the number of Palm Pre/Pixi carriers with one hand. Blame exclusivity deals. Blame Sprint.

How many carriers is the iPhone with around the world? The iPhone is on every single phone carrier in Australia. Thats a lot of options and competition.

So I wouldn't call Palm out yet. Palms offerings not desirable? Thats completely subjective. I have a broken iPhone (now it only works as an iPod) and I have an opportunity to upgrade but I won't because I know how awesome Synergy is.

You are right, Palm being desirable is subjective but again, I look at the number of people flocking to get Palm Pre's vs the number of people who have iPhones and droid devices and that isn't subjective. Even when the only provider was AT&T how many switched just to get the iPhone, there was a HUGE gray market for iPhones before they became commercially available for individuals who lived in countries which didn't sell iPhones. I never heard anything about that for the Pre.

I'm not sure how well the Pre is able to be synergistic but my iPhone allows me to seemlessly sync everything over the air, email, contact, calendars, etc. I love that level of integration, what I have on my computer is what I have on my handheld, it's just an extension of my digital life. And I believe that the Android OS can do this as well with google services (however the droid suffers from platform fragmentation, but that's a different story in itself)

And I've also used the iPhone before so I know how frustrating the phone is -- have you ever tried using it with one hand?

I've never found the iPhone to be fustrating, The only times I have problems using it with one hand is when I'm trying to type withe one hand or with specific applications that are designed for two hands.

You live in the States so you should at least give the Palm Pre a go at your local Best Buy, Sprint, Verizon store before you call it off.

I'll admit I haven't played with a pre but I look at the software offerings, are the applications that I want available for the pre? I don't know but what I do know is that if I want it there is an app out there in the iTunes app store.

I'll admit I haven't played with a pre but I look at the software offerings, are the applications that I want available for the pre? I don't know but what I do know is that if I want it there is an app out there in the iTunes app store.

6 months ago you could have said the same about Android, but with the strong marketing push for the Droid and Android phones available on all carriers (and selling well), the apps I need are now being ported over to what is probably an inferior operating system compared to WebOS (at least right now).

I do agree that I absolutely wouldn't buy a Pre right now either. It's the herd effect - if no one else is buying, then apps won't be developed and the phone won't be of any use. But it's still a good, innovative OS. People don't want it because never received the marketing, availability, or hardware specs of the iPhone or Droid. If success was determined entirely by the quality of the OS rather than other factors, then Windows Mobile shouldn't have survived nearly as long as it has.

Palm Pre Plus wins: http://blog.laptopmag.com/march-smart-phone-madness-winner-palm-pre-plus

smartphonemadness_bracket16.jpg

Doesn't matter if the Pre wins an online user driven poll, what matters is the performance of the device and if it's making a profit. When the palm pre first came out in cost what 200 with 100 mail in rebate Verizon just dropped the price to 50 in anticipation of the release of new models. This looks like they over produced and over estimated demand for their product.

I don't know anyone with a Palm and I don't think Palm has a viable product line that excites the vast majority of consumers which is why their company is doing poorly in the market. Palm has missed their target revenue consistently over the past few years and with their share price below $5 I don't think it will be long before a bigger fish buys them up just for their IP.

Palm's products don't appeal to the vast majority of consumers anymore, they either need an infusion of creative talent to design new products or a miracle to make a climb back to relevance in the mobile marketplace.

Yeah, I know. Multi tasking is like copy and paste. It took Apple awhile to add it in but when it was added it was awesome.

I'm in the iPhone Dev program so I'm dling the beta right now. Going to be AWESOME

OK, random iPad/iPhone browser question. I've already figured out that you can tap on the title bar of a browser window to zoom to the top of the screen (useful when browsing a long thread on SDN). Is there a way to zoom to the bottom of the screen, as well...?

OK, random iPad/iPhone browser question. I've already figured out that you can tap on the title bar of a browser window to zoom to the top of the screen (useful when browsing a long thread on SDN). Is there a way to zoom to the bottom of the screen, as well...?

No idea, don't think there is a way to do that

Multitasking just announced for iPhone. With a slew of other features. Nay sayers eat your heart out

Don't make a CDMA version for Verizon/Sprint, and I'd be very interested. Looks like they are ironing out the kinks.

Lest you covet the iPhone OS 4 beta too much - pretty much all developers have access to this, however, many do not install it because you really don't want to use it on your primary phone. I've been there and done that. These betas are usually kind of buggy so things like wifi and some apps are apt to not work. Once you install the beta, there is no official way to go back to a normal OS version. There are always parts of the beta OS left on the device that may cause some problems. And, if you brick your device, Apple won't help you because you have a non-official release OS installed.

These beta OS versions also have tight expiration dates. You have to routinely install the every-two-week updates or your beta will expire and your iPhone won't boot up. One guy went on vacation overseas and found that his beta had expired and his iPhone was a brick until he got back.

Lest you covet the iPhone OS 4 beta too much - pretty much all developers have access to this, however, many do not install it because you really don't want to use it on your primary phone. I've been there and done that. These betas are usually kind of buggy so things like wifi and some apps are apt to not work. Once you install the beta, there is no official way to go back to a normal OS version. There are always parts of the beta OS left on the device that may cause some problems. And, if you brick your device, Apple won't help you because you have a non-official release OS installed.

These beta OS versions also have tight expiration dates. You have to routinely install the every-two-week updates or your beta will expire and your iPhone won't boot up. One guy went on vacation overseas and found that his beta had expired and his iPhone was a brick until he got back.

Oh I know, I've got a friend who gave me access to the developer program. I was in on the 3.0 beta last year and had no big issues with it, so I took the risk and jumped in on this one. I've found a few bugs so far but nothing show stopping. The iPhone 4.0 is just awesome, everything is snappier, smoother animations, just wow.

You must have read that Wall Street article painting such a bleak picture for Palm, now is a perfect time to buy Palm stock if you ask me. Reminds me of when Apple stock was at 16, and people were predicting the death of the company, lol.

Palm assets are being shopped around to the highest bidder so can we write-off Palm now?

Don't they have a "Suggest a Feature" thing for Apple?

Apple is really really open to suggestions. My friend that works there was constantly picking people's minds for ideas and suggestions. The major thing is they also believe in the whole "If you're going to do it then do it right" philosphy, so some features take a little longer to add on.

With the ipad and books, is there a way to look at the books available? I have a nook, which I love for standard literature and reading. (I would've prefered the kindle but it was a gift and I can't complain) I am thinking the nice big color screen would be fantastic for medical texts, viewing recorded lectures and that sort of stuff. I would only get it if there were a wide variety of texts to choose from though. I'm one of those weird people that likes to use textbooks but I also don't usually annotate in them.

why not an iPhone?

I already tried. My house is located in the middle of a four-block AT&T dead zone.

Having cellular service at my house is mandatory, and moving is not an option. I'm not that much of a fanboy. ;)

Omni

Like I've been saying all along, Palm is circiling the drain. It is rumored that they are now up for sale. Guess that really good WebOS helped the company out.

Like I've said before it doesn't matter how good a product is if it can't make the company profitable.

Goodbye Palm

Wonder if Omni is going to respond

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to revive the falling company on the nation's most hated cell phone carrier should be shot.