Drone Delivery: Coming at a Walgreens Near You...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why walk when you can fly your medications to your house? September 25th 2019 Walgreens seems to like the thought and will implement the change and record its profits. Intriguing idea for some (wouldn't work in my area of the woods)

Walgreens, FedEx Express Partner With Google Parent on Drones

Members don't see this ad.

How long until we read the first report of someone blasting the Walgreens drone out of the sky with a shotgun in hopes that it was carrying Ritalin or OxyContin?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How long until we read the first report of someone blasting the Walgreens drone out of the sky with a shotgun in hopes that it was carrying Ritalin or OxyContin?

Haha! Yea this is a good point - I would advocate to deny drone transport of controlled substances. Except maybe a few for seizure.

Ritalin though? I have never seen someone desperate for methylphenidate. Sometimes Adderall, many times with opioids and benzos. Never methylphenidate

Wouldn't be the first time...

The curious problem is that of common carrier where I'd be interested to see how Walgreens handles that issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Did Amazon ever do this? I remember hearing about this years ago but never seen one.

If the drone makes a wrong delivery or the pills fall into someone else's hand...that's an easy way for PHI to get out. HIPAA anyone?

I can already hear the calls rolling in “your stupid drone shorted and stole some of my adderalls!”

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Walgreens said it will make over-the-counter medicines, health food, beverage and convenience products available to local residents for delivery on-demand, through the air, within minutes after they are ordered.

Proof of concept first then we can worry about the plundering sky pirates.

Reactions: 2 users
Man, I remember waaay back when people use to drive to places, walk inside, explore. Understandable for people who are disabled/handicapped in some way or another but disturbing how like 90+% of people who use drive-through are very able bodied people and/or claim to use for being "germ-a-phobes" rather than just admit being lazy.

Modern human hunter & gatherer evolving to clicking some buttons online, sitting waiting, hitting refresh button/looking for updates (where is the sense of adventure?)

Walgreens said it will make over-the-counter medicines, health food, beverage and convenience products available to local residents for delivery on-demand, through the air, within minutes after they are ordered.

Proof of concept first then we can worry about the plundering sky pirates.
Some modern day Luddites too
1570563757605.png

Reactions: 1 user
Man, I remember waaay back when people use to drive to places, walk inside, explore. Understandable for people who are disabled/handicapped in some way or another but disturbing how like 90+% of people who use drive-through are very able bodied people and/or claim to use for being "germ-a-phobes" rather than just admit being lazy.

Modern human hunter & gatherer evolving to clicking some buttons online, sitting waiting, hitting refresh button/looking for updates (where is the sense of adventure?)

Agree with the drive thru laziness but online is so much easier than going to the store. You have to use gas then it takes time to look for what you want (if they even have it) and then there's a long line with one poor cashier trying to keep up. Some old lady holds up the line with their coupons that don't work or another one wants to speak to the manager. I have no interest in exploring or shopping, just want my item and to get on with my day.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the drive thru laziness but online is so much easier than going to the store. You have to use gas then it takes time to look for what you want (if they even have it) and then there's a long line with one poor cashier trying to keep up. Some old lady holds up the line with their coupons that don't work or another one wants to speak to the manager. I have no interest in exploring or shopping, just want my item and to get on with my day.

Couldn't imagine shopping for general supplies/as needed stuff/food online; takes no time at all with stores using self checkout to avoid the dreaded customer(s) who wants to b!tch about everything and pinch every penny (sometimes I feel like these people just really want attention/some way of relieving stress through expressing anger/emotions....some people go to confession, others just head to a local retail store)

Yeah, more hard to find items (specialty, custom)/electronics/clothing (FFS on this one especially!) online is a must