Drop a class or get a C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idunnowhattonamemyself

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there - I'm currently in a summer physics 2 course. I am not doing too well in it, so I've been debating on continuing (and, probably getting a C) or dropping the class?

I understand that dental schools do not like to see too many C's or drops, so I just wanted to know which is worse. My advisor once mentioned that you don't want to show a pattern of drops, but I only dropped organic chemistry I (but, ended up with an A when retaking the class). Overall, it was only one instance, so I don't know if this would show a negative pattern.

On the other hand, I believe I will end up with a C in this course if I don't drop it. This would definitely tank my GPA. I'm optimistic and believe if I retake this class, I could get an A, considering I have a brief understanding of the material now. (I've never gotten a C before.)

The schools that I most definitely want to get into have their average matriculant stats as GPA: 3.74 and sGPA: 3.67. (TMDSAS average, only applying to Texas schools) I am also applying this cycle.

If I drop this class, my stats will be GPA: 3.73 and sGPA: 3.67.
If I keep this class (and most likely, end up with a C), my stats will be GPA: 3.67 and sGPA: 3.58.

I'm already at the cusp of the average matriculant GPA (which, on average, increases each year), so I don't want to risk my lower GPA being the reason why I don't get invites. On the other hand, I'm worried that 2 drops will be perceived as a negative pattern. So, which is worse?

Members don't see this ad.

If you dropped the class, would you receive a failure or W in the class? or would it not show up on your transcript at all? If you will receive a W, don’t drop and take the C because you don’t want to show W’s on your transcript. If you will receive an F for dropping, you might as well take the C, because the dental school application averages your grades received when a class is retaken anyway and the two grades would average to a C (A (retake) + F = C). If your drop won’t show up on your transcript (still early), then drop. Keep in mind, physics is the prereq they care about the least, so if the rest of your prereq grades are good you’ll be okay, but be ready to explain in interviews why you did poorly in this class. Also keep in mind that all grades need to be C or better according to dental schools, so keep your grade above a C-.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
With you applying this cycle, you’re better off with a C than a W. You can easily say that a life crisis came up during the time you took physics if they asked in your interview (which I doubt they’ll ask) and that you wanted to continuously put your head into studying so that if a “life crisis” were to occur again, I’d be able to cope with it in dental school. Also note that 2 W’s isn’t going to ruin your chances of becoming a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely take the W. Its much more ambiguous with more ways to explain the result. Additionally, if you re-take it and do well, it further proves that the reason for the W didn’t have to do with your academic ability, intellect, etc.

The C permanently affects your gpa negatively and communicates one thing: you did bad in physics. It doesn’t hint at possible life crises, personal issues, etc. the way a W does. Lastly, whether people like to admit it or not, schools definitely have numerical cutoffs for GPAs and DATs (my opinion), so you should take any opportunity to stay above their unspoken requirements.

Just my two cents, good luck. Oh yeah and eff physics 2 with a rake. I hated that class.

Definitely take the W. Its much more ambiguous with more ways to explain the result. Additionally, if you re-take it and do well, it further proves that the reason for the W didn’t have to do with your academic ability, intellect, etc.

The C permanently affects your gpa negatively and communicates one thing: you did bad in physics. It doesn’t hint at possible life crises, personal issues, etc. the way a W does. Lastly, whether people like to admit it or not, schools definitely have numerical cutoffs for GPAs and DATs (my opinion), so you should take any opportunity to stay above their unspoken requirements.

Just my two cents, good luck. Oh yeah and eff physics 2 with a rake. I hated that class.
Their GPA is above average for many schools already. If he/she takes the W and doesn’t perform well, that’ll hurt him/her even more which weights out why it’s a bigger advantage to take the C. I’m assuming that re-taking a class from a W and only receiving B could have an affect as it’s their second time around the course. Overall, it really depends heavily on how this student decides to dedicate their time towards the class the second time around if they decide to settle with W.

Their GPA is above average for many schools already. If he/she takes the W and doesn’t perform well, that’ll hurt him/her even more which weights out why it’s a bigger advantage to take the C. I’m assuming that re-taking a class from a W and only receiving B could have an affect as it’s their second time around the course. Overall, it really depends heavily on how this student decides to dedicate their time towards the class the second time around if they decide to settle with W.

I agree, having too high of a GPA could definitely hurt their chances. Since their GPA is above average, they should lower it to get a bit closer to the National average.

Also, since they definitely don’t want to apply to any schools that view a 3.67 gpa as mediocre, they would be totally fine crossing them off their list, since they have no desire to go to those schools anyway.

I agree, having too high of a GPA could definitely hurt their chances. Since their GPA is above average, they should lower it to get a bit closer to the National average.
This is so underrated. As strange as it sounds, I really think some schools will purposely decline you since your stats are way above their average incoming class.

This is so underrated. As strange as it sounds, I really think some schools will purposely decline you since your stats are way above their average incoming class.

I was being sarcastic. OP if you’re seeing this, just get the best grades and test scores as you can and ignore the noise.

I was being sarcastic. OP if you’re seeing this, just get the best grades and test scores as you can and ignore the noise.
But it's still true. If your stats are overall too high for a certain school, your chances become slimmer. For example, someone with an average cGPA of 3.9 and 3.8 sGPA with a 26 AA/24 TS wouldn't be able to get into a school like UNE, Meharry, etc.

You're pretty much saying, if someone is expecting a C in any science pre-requisite, you should take a W. @mrdeez

I've heard that sentiment before about having too high scores, but I most definitely want to stay in-state due to tuition. So, I am only applying to Texas schools (there are four schools) and their average incoming class is similar to my current stats according to this link.

I understand that some schools won't accept people with higher scores, but those aren't schools I will be applying to.

I think I am leaning more towards taking the W (even though it's my second one) because I don't want to fall below the average. According to this link (https://www.txhes.com/_resources/docs/stats/ey19/10-Year-Dent-EY19.pdf), the average matriculant GPA increased a lot from 2018 to 2019, so I don't want to be even more below average after taking the C. Thanks for everyone's input, it really helped me think this decision through.

Take the C. You don't really get do-overs in the dental profession anyway, so you could honestly use this as a learning experience. just be honest if you're asked about it in an interview (I am sure some schools won't even ask about it). At the end of the day, if you have 1 C, it will not make or break decisions. I think taking the W brings up more room for suspicion - admissions committees aren't dumb!

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard that sentiment before about having too high scores, but I most definitely want to stay in-state due to tuition. So, I am only applying to Texas schools (there are four schools) and their average incoming class is similar to my current stats according to this link.

I understand that some schools won't accept people with higher scores, but those aren't schools I will be applying to.

I think I am leaning more towards taking the W (even though it's my second one) because I don't want to fall below the average. According to this link (https://www.txhes.com/_resources/docs/stats/ey19/10-Year-Dent-EY19.pdf), the average matriculant GPA increased a lot from 2018 to 2019, so I don't want to be even more below average after taking the C. Thanks for everyone's input, it really helped me think this decision through.
Take the W. 2 Ws won’t kill you. GPA is king. Plus, depending upon your future, you may need to submit your undergrad transcripts to residencies.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone asks, tell them the “W” stands for “Win.”

Or "Whoops" if you come back and still make a C.

If you think you'll get a better grade next go round, then drop the class if you still can, young blood. Otherwise take the L and move on. One hiccup won't destroy you but making excuses will. Plus you're right around the AVERAGE. Averages are just that, averages. A significant portion of those matriculants have <AVERAGE GPA because that's how GPA averages work.

Oh and to make you feel better, I had 2 F's on my transcript and got into dental school on my first try. And a C in Physics 2. Roll with the punches.

Golfballer