Drop Physics Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lainey234

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking second semester physics plus lab this spring. I aced first semester and now my lab instructor is a total jerk. I am considering dropping the lab section only (staying in the lecture) and taking the lab in the fall with another instructor. My question is this - is there any reason I can't still aplly to med schools this year without having completed the physics requirement? Do I need to complete the basics before application or just matriculation?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost all schools require that you take the prerequisites before matriculating; I'd think you're on even safer ground here because it's only the lab component you'll have remaining.

I am taking second semester physics plus lab this spring. I aced first semester and now my lab instructor is a total jerk. I am considering dropping the lab section only (staying in the lecture) and taking the lab in the fall with another instructor. My question is this - is there any reason I can't still aplly to med schools this year without having completed the physics requirement? Do I need to complete the basics before application or just matriculation?

You're fine; if I remember correctly, AMCAS lets you put down "Future Course" as a label for courses if you want to be doubly sure that schools know you're going to be taking it

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be careful about this.

A gap such as the one you're proposing is something med schools will notice and "The professor is a jerk" is the type of excuse that probably wouldn't sit too well.

I'd just stick this one out if at all possible.

How many course hours will you have? Would your load be too light? Would you replace the course with something? Anecdotally, I broke up physics II and physics II lab, but it will depend on how it is set-up at your school. Yes, schools allow you to take requirements during the year you apply. They just stipulate that you have them done before the summer of matriculation. So, yes, it's allowed, but note that most applicants have them done before they apply.