Drop Physics Lab?

Started by lainey234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lainey234

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am taking second semester physics plus lab this spring. I aced first semester and now my lab instructor is a total jerk. I am considering dropping the lab section only (staying in the lecture) and taking the lab in the fall with another instructor. My question is this - is there any reason I can't still aplly to med schools this year without having completed the physics requirement? Do I need to complete the basics before application or just matriculation?
 
Almost all schools require that you take the prerequisites before matriculating; I'd think you're on even safer ground here because it's only the lab component you'll have remaining.
 
I am taking second semester physics plus lab this spring. I aced first semester and now my lab instructor is a total jerk. I am considering dropping the lab section only (staying in the lecture) and taking the lab in the fall with another instructor. My question is this - is there any reason I can't still aplly to med schools this year without having completed the physics requirement? Do I need to complete the basics before application or just matriculation?

You're fine; if I remember correctly, AMCAS lets you put down "Future Course" as a label for courses if you want to be doubly sure that schools know you're going to be taking it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many course hours will you have? Would your load be too light? Would you replace the course with something? Anecdotally, I broke up physics II and physics II lab, but it will depend on how it is set-up at your school. Yes, schools allow you to take requirements during the year you apply. They just stipulate that you have them done before the summer of matriculation. So, yes, it's allowed, but note that most applicants have them done before they apply.