Luftwaffle

5+ Year Member
May 11, 2014
109
77
Status
Medical Student
Hi all!

I have a dilemma. I have an interview scheduled for mid Dec that I don't particularly want to attend. I have had 4 interviews before this, been waitlisted by 1 and am waiting to hear from the other 3. Today I calculated my total costs for attending this interview (~$500). I am not terribly enthusiastic about this school, it's suboptimal for me (location, cost, degree type). In fact I applied here essentially accidentally (yes I know, why apply somewhere you wouldn't go? Prioirties shifted with time for me). So I am reluctant to keep the appointment because of the highlighted concerns but also the travel cost (I'm running out of money)

I'm unsure if I should attend this interview despite my reservations. I do know that it is usually inadvisable to skip an interview without an acceptance in hand, but I am not very sure that I would be happy to go to this school if it was my only acceptance...Still the paranoid part of me thinks that going to this school would beat never becoming a doctor. My application itself is not the greatest and I don't anticipate getting more II at this point, so this could very well be my only option in a month... What do you all think?
 
Jun 24, 2017
277
185
Status
Pre-Medical
The total cost for attending the interview is meaningless in the long run. You have to go to the interview to decide whether or not you could really see yourself attending. Plan on going and if you receive an acceptance before, cancel your interview.
 
Nov 20, 2018
12
14
Status
Medical Student
I would go unless you get an acceptance from a school you would rather go to prior to that interview. This process is already so expensive than $500 doesn't really make a difference in the big picture and having to reapply next year would be much, much more expensive (not saying this will happen to you, but better safe than sorry).
Also, the school might end up being a positive surprise! Some of my interviews really changed how I felt about the schools.
 
About the Ads

sinigang14

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
160
222
I would go unless you get an acceptance from a school you would rather go to prior to that interview. This process is already so expensive than $500 doesn't really make a difference in the big picture and having to reapply next year would be much, much more expensive (not saying this will happen to you, but better safe than sorry).
Also, the school might end up being a positive surprise! Some of my interviews really changed how I felt about the schools.
I totally agree that i have also changed how i felt about certain schools after interviewing there. I agree that reapplying will be much more expensive and you could potentially lose a year's worth of salary in the long run as well if you have to reapply.
 

curbsideconsult

2+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2018
833
1,447
Status
Medical Student
I am not very sure that I would be happy to go to this school if it was my only acceptance...Still the paranoid part of me thinks that going to this school would beat never becoming a doctor
It sounds like you'll be kicking yourself either way. You have to decide which scenario is the least unbearable. I say go to the interview only if you can convince yourself that you would be happy to attend the school if that were your only option and you could be happy living your life as a DO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PeleHonuaMea
Aug 6, 2018
618
492
Status
Medical Student
If money right now is really a problem, then drop this interview. Having a roof to live under and food/other necessities trump medical school interview.
If it's the school, as the others have said before me, maybe give them a chance...you never know...
 

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
3,121
10,828
Status
Attending Physician
Hi all!

I have a dilemma. I have an interview scheduled for mid Dec that I don't particularly want to attend. I have had 4 interviews before this, been waitlisted by 1 and am waiting to hear from the other 3. Today I calculated my total costs for attending this interview (~$500). I am not terribly enthusiastic about this school, it's suboptimal for me (location, cost, degree type). In fact I applied here essentially accidentally (yes I know, why apply somewhere you wouldn't go? Prioirties shifted with time for me). So I am reluctant to keep the appointment because of the highlighted concerns but also the travel cost (I'm running out of money)

I'm unsure if I should attend this interview despite my reservations. I do know that it is usually inadvisable to skip an interview without an acceptance in hand, but I am not very sure that I would be happy to go to this school if it was my only acceptance...Still the paranoid part of me thinks that going to this school would beat never becoming a doctor. My application itself is not the greatest and I don't anticipate getting more II at this point, so this could very well be my only option in a month... What do you all think?
Go to interviews until you have an acceptance in hand. Beg, borrow, and steal if you have to.
 

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
62,187
93,245
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hi all!

I have a dilemma. I have an interview scheduled for mid Dec that I don't particularly want to attend. I have had 4 interviews before this, been waitlisted by 1 and am waiting to hear from the other 3. Today I calculated my total costs for attending this interview (~$500). I am not terribly enthusiastic about this school, it's suboptimal for me (location, cost, degree type). In fact I applied here essentially accidentally (yes I know, why apply somewhere you wouldn't go? Prioirties shifted with time for me). So I am reluctant to keep the appointment because of the highlighted concerns but also the travel cost (I'm running out of money)

I'm unsure if I should attend this interview despite my reservations. I do know that it is usually inadvisable to skip an interview without an acceptance in hand, but I am not very sure that I would be happy to go to this school if it was my only acceptance...Still the paranoid part of me thinks that going to this school would beat never becoming a doctor. My application itself is not the greatest and I don't anticipate getting more II at this point, so this could very well be my only option in a month... What do you all think?
How many accepts do you have that you can afford to turn down an interview?

If none, suggest going, and if you're still turned off by the school, then withdraw your app immediately afterwards.

Do NOT become one of those fools who make threads entitled "drop my only withdrawal to apply next year?"
 
  • Like
Reactions: PeleHonuaMea

RNthenDoc

2+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2017
1,041
1,974
Status
Medical Student
I attended every interview, even after I had acceptances. It sucks financially, but you can deliver pizzas or drive Uber on the weekends or something.

That interview practice could be worth thousands of dollars in the future.

Only reason I wouldn’t attend is if you would choose to turn them down in the event that they are your ONLY acceptance. For me, though, I wanted to be a physician and would have attended my lowest-ranked acceptance (NYITCOM, in my case) if it came down to that, but everyone is different...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Goro

IsleyOfTheNorth

Polishing those soft skills...
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2016
447
806
Status
Medical Student
Not going would be serious false-economy. A year ago, how much money would you have been willing to shell out for even one acceptance?

On the other hand, save the money if you're not serious about wanting to be physician.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Goro
About the Ads