Dropping a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkajko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we are already in the second week of Fall semester and I need to drop Calc I. It won't go on my official transcript if I drop it by next Wednesday.

The reason I need to drop it is mainly because the teacher is ridiculous. Our exams are 20% essay, 30% short answer( like define this, explain that...) and 50% actual math problems. He also doesn't explain in detail what he is doing on the board and when you ask him to elaborate he makes it even more confusing. He answers his phone in the middle of class, so far it has happened everyday and he doesn't know how to use Mathamatica, but expects us to already know how to, even though no one else in class knew how and was bombarding him with questions he couldn't answer.

We had our first quiz today about limits. I can do this pretty well I studied like crazy last night and went over some before class. Well he handed out the quiz and the first two questions, confused the crap out of me, they were define or explain f(x), as x approaches a and something else that I can't remember. The rest of the quiz was also hard and I know I failed it. He then told us that was what the exams looked like and it was then I knew there was no way I was going to be able to pass.

My main problem in math is the fact that I can't explain why I did something or how I did it. All things he is looking for on the exams. Even if I found a tutor, I know I would still fail, because he just confuses the crap out of me and I have at most 3 hours a day to study for all my other classes meaning it is hard to find time for a tutor. I also tried to see if I could get into another class but they are all full, except for the one I am in, and even if there was any open none of them would fit my schedule. :annoyed:

Excuse my ranting above, I love being busy and I loved this past crazy week, but I don't like wasting time to teach myself because my teacher can't do it himself.

But anyways, I am scared to drop it because I will then have only 14 credits this semester and three of those are my internship. But I don't only have school, that internship is shadowing vets in a animal hospital for 11 hours every Thursday, 3 hours volunteering at a shelter, taking care of 12 pets, and working unscheduled hours that change every week depending on what my work study coordinator needs. So I am certainly not, not doing anything else besides school :laugh:.

My question is, if I drop this class will it look bad when I apply that I wasn't taking 18 credits? I feel like I really haven't taken enough credits each semester, they have all been 14. But I also know that it is probably better if I take the 14 credits and get really good grades then take the 18 credits and fail one only to retake it. Ugh I am just so confused :confused:. Thanks for any advice, I probably am just worrying too much, I do still have 5 semesters till I apply.....

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need calc 1? There was probably five calc 1 classes offered the semester I took it. Didn't have to take it but my pre-calc teacher talked me into it (crazy guy wanted me to take diff eqs, LOL, but I quit at calc1). Best teacher in the dept they said, but he assumed we'd all taken calc before and was more interested in explaining why things happened than how to solve the problem. Got a 44% on the first exam, told my pre-calc teacher he'd gotten me into this and he'd have to help me through it. :laugh: Ended up with a B in the class but put more work into that class than I've put into any other class since - and I've taken everything from o-chem to immunology.

Short version - if you don't need the class drop it. If you don't have time for the class drop it. Try picking up something else that's easy/fun instead - but only if you want. With all your extracurricular activities 14 credits isn't a big deal. If you need the class look for a better teacher. If none of the above options are possible, tough it out; calc1 doesn't appear to be required for most schools and a B or even a C in that class shouldn't be too big a deal as long as the rest of your grades are okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, take a deep breath and relax. Normal people get accepted into veterinary school every year, you don't have to be a superstar. Drop the class and don't worry about it.

Drop it, and I really don't think it will be a problem if you only have 14 hours. During the fall semester of my sophomore year, I only had 12 hours!

I would also drop it without much hesitation. Good luck :)

I say drop it. If you're this bent out of shape about it, it is clearly having an impact on your overall performance in ALL classes. That said, instead of criticizing the professor for not teaching the subject matter appropriately, perhaps look at yourself as not being an adaptable learner. I have encountered numerous situations in which I've been frustrated by the way things were approached, only to appreciate that approach at a later date, because it truly was the right way to prepare.

That being said, I had a crazy Calc I professor this summer, and i thought there was no way I would survive. I just diligently did the homeworks, even though they weren't collected, and I asked LOTS of questions during class. I managed to survive with the highest grade, even though the way he taught wasn't even close to the way I'm best able to learn.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I did wind up dropping it.

I try not to go on the forum when it is app time, mainly because I start seeing the amazing stats some have on here, and start worrying like crazy that I am doing everything wrong.:laugh:

I then calm down and realize I am just being a big worry wort and that I am doing great so far.

I have taken pre-calc before, but I have also taken another class with a teacher similar to him and I barely passed. I just feel a lot better knowing I don't have to worry my butt off about this class. I am going to just take it next semester with the teacher I originally wanted to take it with.

But anyways thanks for the help guys, I truly love this forum because it really helps to talk to people that know what you are going through. :love: