Dropping a course after applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KariiLachii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking for insight on this. This past summer, I applied to a bunch of medical schools. I wrote down all the Fall 2012 courses that I will be taking on the primary, but I am thinking about dropping one of the courses. Will I have to notify all the schools about it, or will medical schools not care about this at all (will they expect some students to have different Fall 2012 schedules than in their primaries)? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The place to add information for a future schedule is usually just to notify med schools you are taking a recommended or required class, like organic or biochem. As long as you aren't dropping a class that is necessary for you admission into medical school this cycle, I doubt it matters to them if you drop it and not inform them. But hey maybe it does. Look on AMCAS for something about updating classes on your app.

I'm not too sure but personally, I would notify all or at least my top choices or likely secondaries. Better safe than not saying anything in my opinion.

I agree with above- if its a course that isn't important like an elective and not a core or science course than it shouldn't matter too much.