Dropping a Major to take more BCPM classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelkors15

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am a biology + medical humanities double major at UPenn graduating with around a 3.67 sGPA. I am faced with the following decision. If I were to drop the medical humanities second major, in its place I could take more upper-level BCPM courses that could possibly bring me up as far as a 3.72 sGPA and show I can handle higher level sciences. I am planning on applying after taking a gap year anyways, where I'll be working as a medical assistant and doing a DIY post-bacc to show more preparedness in upper-level science. I also have a 523 MCAT (130,132,130,131).
Do you think dropping my medical humanities major in place of a potential 0.04-0.05 increase in BCPM is worth it? I am so close to a 3.7 sGPA and I wouldn't want to be at a disadvantage with T20s because of my sGPA, which is where I am aiming.
The con is that my application essays, extracurriculars, research are HEAVY and VERY unique on the medical humanities, narrative medicine, etc. as that is the angle I am applying to med school under. Having this double major definitely helps my narrative, but it could keep me out of a better sGPA.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I am a biology + medical humanities double major at UPenn graduating with around a 3.67 sGPA. I am faced with the following decision. If I were to drop the medical humanities second major, in its place I could take more upper-level BCPM courses that could possibly bring me up as far as a 3.72 sGPA and show I can handle higher level sciences. I am planning on applying after taking a gap year anyways, where I'll be working as a medical assistant and doing a DIY post-bacc to show more preparedness in upper-level science. I also have a 523 MCAT (130,132,130,131).
Do you think dropping my medical humanities major in place of a potential 0.04-0.05 increase in BCPM is worth it? I am so close to a 3.7 sGPA and I wouldn't want to be at a disadvantage with T20s because of my sGPA, which is where I am aiming.
The con is that my application essays, extracurriculars, research are HEAVY and VERY unique on the medical humanities, narrative medicine, etc. as that is the angle I am applying to med school under. Having this double major definitely helps my narrative, but it could keep me out of a better sGPA.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
No, no, no, no, no. 0.05 on a GPA is immaterial, even though I understand why optically you would rather have a 3.72 a 3.67. That difference is not going to alter an outcome at any school, including T20s. Your GPA is not terrible, and you are coming from a great school and have a great MCAT. Stick with the double major and your story. The 0.05 is not going to buy you anything at the end of the day, and will be even less than that after you take your post-bacc classes. Any school that will forgive a 3.72 will forgive a 3.67, and vice versa.

Reactions: 1 user
I think The GPA difference is meaningless.

Med schools are pretty clear that they just require the pre-reqs. What I’ve heard and seen is they don’t seem to care if you take any upper div science classes-it’s great if you’re interested in them, but if not, spend that time taking a different class. It’s your last chance to explore things as freely, so take full advantage of that opportunity.

I don’t think an upper div science course shows med schools anything they don’t know from looking at your pre-req grades and MCAT.

Personally I just took the pre-reqs, and two upper div science classes (for fun). Now one cares or asked about me taking quantum chemistry. But they asked about my religious studies classes and my art courses.

Reactions: 1 user