dropping a major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banditalfi

Cornell 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second semester senior with a double major, one science & one non-science. Anyway, I am REALLY struggling with the last course needed to fulfill the non-science major and am strongly considering dropping it (which would necessitate dropping the major). Has anyone had experience with this? Do you know how much vet schools will care? Can I just call them and let them know? I know med schools don't really care what you do after your accepted as long as you graduate, but I don't know how vet schools will feel about this issue.

And, just so you know, this course is technically the "easiest" one I'm taking in that it is the lowest level. That being said, I'm spending hours on the homework every night and it's not even correct (needless to say it's ridiculously embarrassing). It's causing a lot of stress, etc etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you've already gotten in. Best to minimize stress before vet school! :)

FWIW, I double-majored in biology and philosophy. However, I was then faced with a choice: study abroad for a semester and not be able to take the last class required to fulfill my philosophy major, or stay at my university and fulfill the second major. Alternatively, I could've graduated a semester later (4.5 years) just to get the philosophy degree.

I chose to study abroad and forget about the formal "degree" in philosophy--it was for fun/my own benefit/teaching me how to think anyway.

Nobody cared! And when I articulate my choice this way to other people, overwhelmingly everyone agrees that I made the right choice (and I agree, too!). :) Long story short (too late!): don't sweat it and drop the course now while you can.

I would notify the schools just in case. Some schools will rescind acceptance if you drop or fail a course (even if it's not a prereq) during your final semester. I know TAMU does this, not sure about other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with clawsbeatskin - notify schools formally, rather than having them find out the hard way. And if you're still in the running for any kind of scholarship, maybe talk with someone in the committee to make sure that they're OK with that?

I agree, though, that the double major probably is more for your benefit/ego/enjoyment than the schools'. I was going to be a double honors major in Biology and English, but I got stymmied by a stupid English distribution requirement that would have meant I couldn't have taken other, more relevant classes... so I talked with people and they all agreed it didn't really matter. I've now meet the credit requirement for an English major, but am one class short of it actually counting... and I'm happy with that decision. Maybe make sure it can show up as a Minor on your transcript?

For OSU I am nearly positive it is not a problem. On your acceptance letter if you have not finished any prereqs there will be a conditions portion and it will state that you need to get at least a C in the prereqs you haven't completed. If you don't have any conditions, it doesn't really matter what you do. If the course is stressing you out, I would definitely drop it.

I would notify the schools just in case. Some schools will rescind acceptance if you drop or fail a course (even if it's not a prereq) during your final semester. I know TAMU does this, not sure about other schools.

This is true about Texas A&M. If you get below a C or drop a course they will rescind your acceptance.

This is true about Texas A&M. If you get below a C or drop a course they will rescind your acceptance.

Well then it's a good thing I didn't apply! I looked through the Cornell and Penn things and they don't say anything. ri23 says OSU doesn't care, but I'm going to call schools tomorrow to double check.