Dropping chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'll be attending a local suny, but transferring to University at Buffalo. Right now, I'm taking Bio 111, and chem 111, college writing, and the studies of culture. When I transfer to UB I was planning on majoring in business and still doing my pre-med reqs at my own pace. I don't want chemistry screwing my GPA over if I start to do bad and prevent me from transferring over. So I was planning on taking bio 111, and taking another elective such as a lower Chem class that will transfer over to UB, but then at UB I can take Chem 111 to better prepare me. Now just taking bio 111, would that set me back really bad or not? If I chose to drop it, would that set my graduation time back? My advisor isn't really much of a help and I really don't enjoy the environment at my current school from what I've seen at orientation. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Now just taking bio 111, would that set me back really bad or not? If I chose to drop it, would that set my graduation time back? My advisor isn't really much of a help and I really don't enjoy the environment at my current school from what I've seen at orientation. Thank you.
S/he will help you a lot more than we can. How are we supposed to know what your curriculum looks like? Or if dropping "chem 111" will delay you or not? Perhaps try another advisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I know what you might be referring to. You are going to one of the community SUNY colleges and then transferring to UB.
So instead of taking the Chem I class, you would take a pre-chem I class (I know the class you are talking about, my state has a different code for it, something like CHM 2023, instead of CHM 2045 with the latter being Chem I).
I think if given all the facts I have correct above, and you feel apprehensive about chem I, then you should take that pre-chem I class that is not as difficult as the your school's CHM111.
However I have to say that, at least for University of Florida, I saw the pre-chem 1 class, and even after finishing chem 2, I couldnt answer the questions. They were so detailed and irrelevant. But that doesnt mean your schools is irrelevant. Your best bet is to talk to someone who has taken the class. Dont be afraid to reach out to strangers, most people are delighted to help. If you are waiting for chemistry advising, chances are people waiting to be seen by an adviser during high volume walk in hours will know about your school's specific classes and they might be able to offer some great personal advice.

As far as setting you back, like stated, you really have to ask your adviser because this is where its school specific. I know people who did the pre-chem I class then the Chem I after, and they were fine but granted yes they had one more class to take than other people did. Def get another adviser's opinion, never stick with what one person says. They are notorious for getting it wrong.

You mentioned you are in orientation. Its important to start out strong for a number of reasons. This makes me think you are starting college now. Especially if you dont have any college work done, your first semester GPA is what will be looked at for academic status and might effect your financial aid. You dont want to be on academic probation after your first semester. So put on your plate as much as you can handle, without over doing it, while still trying to stay competitive for medical school. Its a balance act getting to know your limits. Especially if your grades determine your transfer to UB, talk to your adviser about maintaining a good GPA and taking this chem elective as an option. Dont forget to ask "why", after every statement they make.

Reactions: 1 user
and that if you find science to be so "detailed" and "irrelevant" you are in for one helluva a ride between now and if you get your MD my friend

Since you're still just a freshman, not taking Gen Chem now won't set you back necessarily. You can make up for it in later semesters and/or over the summer, but bear in mind this may mean heavy-loading science courses later on.

You definitely need to maintain strong grades to transfer. Beyond that, you need to start getting involved in good ECs and try to get a leadership position (or as close to it) in your first semester. Show that you are involved and that UB would be gaining a strong community member by accepting you. The worst thing that pre-transfer students can do is flounder in their own misery at their current school. By doing so, you lower your chances of getting accepted anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely need to maintain strong grades to transfer. Beyond that, you need to start getting involved in good ECs and try to get a leadership position (or as close to it) in your first semester. Show that you are involved and that UB would be gaining a strong community member by accepting you. The worst thing that pre-transfer students can do is flounder in their own misery at their current school. By doing so, you lower your chances of getting accepted anywhere else.
It's not exactly hard to transfer into UB (65% transfer acceptance rate, over 3500 per year), so there really shouldn't be pressure on the OP: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/suny-university-at-buffalo (go to "for transfer students")

Based on your many past threads @Turkishking for whatever reason clearly you're not going to be happy until you end up at UB so just transfer ASAP. The transfer tab says they accept freshman in between semesters too, so maybe you want to send a winter app soon?

It's not exactly hard to transfer into UB (65% transfer acceptance rate, over 3500 per year), so there really shouldn't be pressure on the OP: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/suny-university-at-buffalo (go to "for transfer students")

Based on your many past threads @Turkishking for whatever reason clearly you're not going to be happy until you end up at UB so just transfer ASAP. The transfer tab says they accept freshman in between semesters too, so maybe you want to send a winter app soon?

I'm confused on if you can transfer within a semester. . How does that work?

Hey guys. I'll be attending a local suny, but transferring to University at Buffalo. Right now, I'm taking Bio 111, and chem 111, college writing, and the studies of culture. When I transfer to UB I was planning on majoring in business and still doing my pre-med reqs at my own pace. I don't want chemistry screwing my GPA over if I start to do bad and prevent me from transferring over. So I was planning on taking bio 111, and taking another elective such as a lower Chem class that will transfer over to UB, but then at UB I can take Chem 111 to better prepare me. Now just taking bio 111, would that set me back really bad or not? If I chose to drop it, would that set my graduation time back? My advisor isn't really much of a help and I really don't enjoy the environment at my current school from what I've seen at orientation. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly don't you enjoy about the environment at your current school? Why do you think you'll be happier at UB?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly don't you enjoy about the environment at your current school? Why do you think you'll be happier at UB?

The fact that they send 1 or 2 student to medical school.. and they're science program is lacking. Where as UB feeds students to their medical school like a machine. It's a larger school and has a lot of opportunities for me.

Why do you think Chem will drop your gpa?

Personally, I'd just stay in it. You don't have a difficult course load, so unless you already have some legitimate reason to think you will struggle, you'll probably be alright.

I was in almost the same position as you are, but with Biology in my freshman year. I was apprehensive about taking Biology because I didn't feel like I had learned it very well in high school and I had not yet declared a major, so I was really open to choose whatever classes I wanted to take. Ultimately, I decided to take a "pre-bio" class that was a level lower than the "intro to bio" class that all bio majors take. Yes, this set me behind a LITTLE bit (I took one summer class... probably could have fit it into another fall/spring semester if I really had wanted to), but looking back I am glad I did this because I did well in the pre-bio class while adjusting to college life and it gave me the confidence I needed for the next set of bio classes. A lot of my friends took the intro to bio class right away and didn't perform as well as they would have liked to because they felt unprepared. Just my $0.02! Good luck with transferring & school- enjoy it! :)

Reactions: 1 users