Dropping classes after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalgloss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was recently accepted to NYU and was wondering if it was okay to drop my current classes..

I am currently retaking Biochemistry and ANP I. I took Biochemistry last year and got a D, which is why I am retaking it. As for ANP, it's a pre req for some dental schools, but not NYU. After not getting any interview invites in December, I knew I needed to apply to more schools next cycle, which is why I decided to take it. To my surprise, I got an invite in February, and was eventually accepted. (yay!)

Both classes aren't pre reqs for NYU, but is it frowned upon to drop these classes after acceptance?
For me, I just prefer to work and make some money, as I know I will be broke once I start dental school. Do you suggest I email/call the school to ask? I'm afraid asking would give them red flags, and rescind my acceptance.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not drop Biochemistry if I got a D in it and am retaking it. Biochemistry will definitely turn up in dental school, so take the extra time, and do well in it. I personally think Biochem is integral, a foundation if you will, in understanding many upper division biology and chemistry classes - such as pharmacology, cell biology, and molecular genetics.

I can't speak to dropping classes and how schools react. I'm speaking from a continuing to prepare yourself to be successful in dental school, but what do I know? I haven't even been accepted yet.

Reactions: 1 user
You got a D in Biochem but they still accepted you? :O Seems like they don't really care, so I don't think they'll rescind your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel they accepted you because you are retaking Biochem!
If you drop it now it might or might not affect your acceptance.
So, just contact them by email and tell them the situation.
If you ask for my opinion, I would advise you to follow through with your courses as they will help in dental schools anyway.
You don't want to get D in biochem as a D1.

@B4SS @Faefly thank you so much for your replies. I figured I might as well finish the courses, since it will be needed in dental school anyway. It just sucks that I can't work before school starts. Owells! Gotta do what you gotta do.

You got a D in Biochem but they still accepted you? :O Seems like they don't really care, so I don't think they'll rescind your acceptance.

As I mentioned, its probably because its not a pre req? and they also saw that I am retaking it.

As I mentioned, its probably because its not a pre req? and they also saw that I am retaking it.
Lol I'm sure there are plenty of other applicants that have never gotten a D, so I'm surprised they were okay with it. Congrats on your acceptance though.

Why don't you call NYU and find out?