Dropping my chemistry major... is this a good move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

So, I'm a junior in college getting ready to apply this cycle. As it stands, I am currently double majoring in Spanish and Chemistry while minoring in Communications. My decision to pursue a communications minor came pretty late- sometime late last semester. Because of that, I have quite a few communications classes to take next year if I wish to complete my minor before graduating (my Spanish major is pretty much done). in addition to that, I have found that I have really lost my passion for chemistry. I had a pretty bad experience with my biochem prof and overall, I don't have the same excitement anymore when it comes to chemistry, while that passion is very much there for communications. So, here's the (two-fold) question:

I am planning on applying to T20 schools, and think I have a somewhat decent chance at some of them. As such, I really don't want to give them any reason to not look at me as seriously. So..

1) Would these top medical schools (or any med schools at all for that matter) look down on the fact that I dropped my chemistry major down to a minor? I already have taken the classes to complete this minor. So, I would be a Spanish major with a double minor in Chemistry and Communications.

2) With my Spanish major, I got a lot of back credits and tested right in to the 300 level (and have stayed here so far, but I'm taking 400 level next year), but I am concerned about how my overall lack of course rigor will be perceived. Upper level wise for STEM classes, I have taken Genetics, Cell Biology (these two are both 200 level at my school, so maybe not even consider upper-level) Biochem I, and Anatomy and Physiology I, but those are my most "difficult" classes. Will my lack of course rigor be looked down upon at these top schools? Currently, my cGPA is 3.96 and sGPA is 3.93 so stats wise I think that's good but if I'm going to not be taken as seriously for lack of difficult science classes I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks so much for reading y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Med schools don't care what your major or minor are as long as you have done well. I wouldn't worry about this.

2. It's hard to know what individual schools will think, but I don't think they will look that closely. Focus on doing well on your MCAT and any potential concerns about your undergraduate course rigor should be alleviated.

Reactions: 1 user
If I could do it again, I wouldn't have done a science major. Would have done something fun and taken the med school pre-reqs. Doesn't hurt you and could make you more unique.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all-

So, I'm a junior in college getting ready to apply this cycle. As it stands, I am currently double majoring in Spanish and Chemistry while minoring in Communications. My decision to pursue a communications minor came pretty late- sometime late last semester. Because of that, I have quite a few communications classes to take next year if I wish to complete my minor before graduating (my Spanish major is pretty much done). in addition to that, I have found that I have really lost my passion for chemistry. I had a pretty bad experience with my biochem prof and overall, I don't have the same excitement anymore when it comes to chemistry, while that passion is very much there for communications. So, here's the (two-fold) question:

I am planning on applying to T20 schools, and think I have a somewhat decent chance at some of them. As such, I really don't want to give them any reason to not look at me as seriously. So..

1) Would these top medical schools (or any med schools at all for that matter) look down on the fact that I dropped my chemistry major down to a minor? I already have taken the classes to complete this minor. So, I would be a Spanish major with a double minor in Chemistry and Communications.

2) With my Spanish major, I got a lot of back credits and tested right in to the 300 level (and have stayed here so far, but I'm taking 400 level next year), but I am concerned about how my overall lack of course rigor will be perceived. Upper level wise for STEM classes, I have taken Genetics, Cell Biology (these two are both 200 level at my school, so maybe not even consider upper-level) Biochem I, and Anatomy and Physiology I, but those are my most "difficult" classes. Will my lack of course rigor be looked down upon at these top schools? Currently, my cGPA is 3.96 and sGPA is 3.93 so stats wise I think that's good but if I'm going to not be taken as seriously for lack of difficult science classes I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks so much for reading y'all!

Schools don't care that much about majors/minors. I recommend taking some sociology and/or psychology courses as that constitutes a quarter of your MCAT even if it means dropping one or both of your minors.

Any biology/biochem course that requires you to read and evaluate primary research will also help you on the MCAT.

I do not see any issues with dropping the chemistry major. At the end of the day, the major/minor stuff is just paperwork--it is the courses you take that are important.