Dropping out of dental school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsands214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just started my 2nd year in dental school and I am thinking about dropping out. I am currently in $160k debt, and if I stay I will be in $530K debt upon graduating. My main reason for dropping out of the program really stems from me not enjoying the sim part of dentistry. I barely passed my operative courses and am not good with working with my hands. Didactically, I excelled in all of my courses and had no issues.

I am also really far away from my home state and I continually miss my friends and family all the time. I am scared with the high amount of debt as well. I am not sure what to do at this point. I feel like maybe a career in something else or if it's possible to transfer to another dental school that is closer to home?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you plan to pay back your current $160k student loan? You do realize that you will start paying back the loan 6 months after you quit dental school, right? And the longer you defer, the more interest you have to pay and the higher your monthly payments will be. Your monthly payment for that loan amount will probably be around $1500-2000.

One of my asisstants makes $19/hour. He gets paid on the 15th and 30th of every month. After taxes and 401k, each of his pay check comes out to be around $1,100. So with the student loan you have now, you need to find a job that pays you at least twice as much as what my assistant makes right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Stuck between a rock and a hard place... I wish I had good advice for you, but all I can say is that I'm sorry you're in that position. I think before you decide what you're doing you need a strong, realistic plan. Definitely do not quit school without having some idea of what you're doing next. My gut says stick it out, find a niche of dentistry you can tolerate, get on an IBR. This is the sad reality of a LOT of dental grads nowadays... insane that people are graduating in droves with 450k+ in debt.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have anouther job lined up? With 160k in debt, that job can’t be a tick or two above minimum wage. I’d feel pressure as a professional with 160k staring me in the face, let alone without a degree.

Now, if you find a dental sales job making 90k/year, then it might be worth it to drop out. These sales guys make a ton of money if they are doing it right.

Maybe NP or PA? You can make money during a NP route, and PA is only 2 years. Both make around 100k.

Obviously we can’t tell you what to do. If this were me, I’d stick it out and get my DDS and if I hated dentistry, I would do something else with the degree, like teach, consult, etc. having your doctorate will open many more doors than just your undergrad in biology.

Family is important, but it's only 3 more years. Sounds like you still want to be a dentist since you mentioned transferring to a school closer to your family. Don't worry about the hand skills. It will come with practice. Tough it out. Get your DDS/DMD. Then move closer to your family. Don't think short term .... think long term.

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: 3 users
Few people enter dental school already with the hand skill to excel in clinical dentistry.

It takes time and practice. For many of us, it eventually clicks (in D4 or in residency) once you understand what you are doing and are able to apply the concepts you learn in lectures.

Just start playing catch with yourself when your standing around. Tennis ball, bouncy ball, even a football. Just toss it from hand to hand. Play with it a little. Catch it with different fingers, and ect. This will train your body to place the tips of your fingers at a very precise location with a great amount of accuracy and precision. It doesn't have to be anything extreme. Just above your head to shoulder height tosses are fine. Just something that will let you practice moving your hand to a precise location. It's a good way to kind of warm up your motor skills as well if you have a bit of a break.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

I just started my 2nd year in dental school and I am thinking about dropping out. I am currently in $160k debt, and if I stay I will be in $530K debt upon graduating. My main reason for dropping out of the program really stems from me not enjoying the sim part of dentistry. I barely passed my operative courses and am not good with working with my hands. Didactically, I excelled in all of my courses and had no issues.

I am also really far away from my home state and I continually miss my friends and family all the time. I am scared with the high amount of debt as well. I am not sure what to do at this point. I feel like maybe a career in something else or if it's possible to transfer to another dental school that is closer to home?

I’m sorry to hear you’re having a difficult time in dental school. I had the same conversation you’re having right now with myself at the beginning of my D2 year. If your main concern is being away from home and the sim clinic issues, I think those can be overcome. There are only a small handful of people who pick up on the hand skills really quickly. I have a background in carpentry, stone work and other various construction/fine skills and still found the sim clinic work to be challenging. I think the only area people have direct experience with something like this are people with experience in jewlery making or an art background. That being said, you would probably be surprised to find out almost everyone in your class is experiencing a steep learning curve with the exception of a few really talented people.

I don’t know if you’ve formed some relationships with people in your class but you could always try finding a couple of people to go to the gym with or study with outside of class. I’m sure a number of your classmates are feeling the same way. As hard as it is being away from family, I found it to be kind of helpful for the first two years to really focus on my studies. Unfrotunately dental school transfers are really rare and the only instances I have heard of it are for extenuating circumstances (death in the family etc.).

If you are considering leaving, now would be the time. However, 160k is nothing to balk at. Unless you would have some sort of guaranteed salary of 100k+ after you left, it might not be a bad idea to stick around. Things will get better and once you get into clinic you’ll really start to enjoy things again. Try not to get too jaded from the first two years.

Hang in there!

Operative is nothing like clinic, keep hanging on. Dropping out now will only make your debt situation worse. Transferring might be possible but it's a very long shot.

Operative is nothing like clinic, keep hanging on. Dropping out now will only make your debt situation worse. Transferring might be possible but it's a very long shot.

That and I don't think first year is a reflection of what you'll like/dislike during second.

That and I don't think first year is a reflection of what you'll like/dislike during second.
except the second year is more difficult than the first both didactically and preclinically

except the second year is more difficult than the first both didactically and preclinically

I actually did significantly better in all my lab courses between both years. I was a C lab student in first year and was nearly an A student during second. I got to the point that I wasn't practicing nearly as much as first year.

Even though I did better didactically during first year, I still think second year was noticeably easier. I simply had more significant matters outside of school going on that was draining me emotionally. But I did not put nearly as much time into my studies during second year when compared to first, and almost did just as well. Nothing since Gross or Biochemistry has forced me to fire all my cylinders again.

Again, everyone is different. But I don't think first year is a good representation of how you will do in school or wether you will like dentistry. It was only during my third and fourth year where I really began to appreciate what i was doing every day. Putting a face to your work really matters.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
At this amount of debt it is easier to continue. To be successful in sim lab you need good loupes and light. Don't hesitate to ask for help from your instructors

Have you considered teaching? You could focus on pre-clinical courses, or even move into an Admin position.

Research is another possibility.

Have you considered teaching? You could focus on pre-clinical courses, or even move into an Admin position.

Research is another possibility.
If the OP chooses to finish dental school, he'll owe $530k.I am afraid the teaching or research jobs that you suggested him to get will not pay him enough to deal with such huge loan amount. In order to survive, he'll need to work at places like busy corp offices or private GP offices, that pay him at least $150k/year. He'll need to work 6-7 days/week. He may have to live with his parents for a couple of years or marry someone who will also earn similar income.

Trying not to be that guy, but you really should have figured the debt thing out before you started dental school. You are going to a very expensive dental school.

You have put yourself in a worse position now, both emotionally and financially.

Hope you figure it out. My opinion is that going into $530,000 debt for a $150k job is not a good idea. The $160k is sunk costs. Do you want to spend 3-4 years and $370,000 for a $150k job?

Good luck.

Trying not to be that guy, but you really should have figured the debt thing out before you started dental school. You are going to a very expensive dental school.

You have put yourself in a worse position now, both emotionally and financially.

Hope you figure it out. My opinion is that going into $530,000 debt for a $150k job is not a good idea. The $160k is sunk costs. Do you want to spend 3-4 years and $370,000 for a $150k job?

Good luck.
except dentistry is not a 150k job

150k is what you make 1yr out as an associate dentist or as an assistant professor

in private practice sky is the limit

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

So, you're from California?

I don't know if I am correct in assuming you're not good with failure but it may be the case. There are lots of people who're used to doing well academically but dentistry is about the skills you ACQUIRE, no one is born to wax/operate, you have to learn it. Learn to love your failure, embrace it. As long as you pass no one on the outside cares what your grades were, you'll still be a doctor. Besides, that's already a lot of debt to pay off, and you're probably not very marketable without a dental degree.

Good luck.
A significant proportion of dentists that own their own practices earn considerably more than the 158K average. I actually discussed this topic with a mentor a few days ago, and he was kind enough to share some stats and figures about his practice. He's been practicing for a couple decades, and he plateaued at 400K approximately 10-15 years ago. Income is affected by experience, location, ownership status, specialty, no. of offices...etc etc. The OP's future is whatever the OP makes of it.

For the first two years, getting into the dental career sucks.

3rd year onward is 10 fold better.