Dropping out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmejoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My entire college career has been one long dissapointment. Ive been on acedemic prohibition and now its likely that ill be suspension next semster. My only choice is to go community college and start over. Would this scare med schools away from me? Should I start looking at other careers. My cc has a robust health sciences department. Another option I could try is going to my cc for just 1 semster and return to me 4 year uni next semster because the suspension could be as short as 1 semster. This would allow me to graduate quicker buti probablywont have a high enough gpa (although it still is possible i changed my major so I still have 3.5 years to go plus summer classes could give me a shot at this)

Members don't see this ad.

i know this is something you may not want to hear, but yes you should consider another career. you have been placed on academic probation for presumably failing numerous courses or involved in some academic dishonesty. either way both are huge knocks on your record. My advice is to use this time to consider another professional. there are too many premeds who gun for medicine and fail without a back up plan. people can't make much $$ on a bs in biology.

You need to seriously think about why you are having these academic issues. Even if you shape up in CC, you will need to prove that you can handle a rigorous curriculum and it doesn't look like you can at this moment. This is going to be a major red flag and you will need to take on ton of hard work to overcome this handicap. If you truly want to pursue medicine, then you will be up for that challenge and do whatever it takes....but otherwise I agree with @HelpPleaseMD

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats depressing but understandable. I was in biomedical engineering, next semster I was planning on taking core enigeering classes (calc iii, physics, generic engie class, gen ed). Im not sure how to procced. My cc has no bioengie cource and im getting skepitcal of the merrits of biomedicsl engieering degree againist traditional engingeering courses. (witch i could fairly easily trasnfer into)But none of those really interest me at all. Not really sure what to do at this point.

Last edited:
you have not answered our question, why are you having trouble? Can you pin-point the problem? I you do, wemay have better suggestions.

you have not answered our question, why are you having trouble? Can you pin-point the problem? I you do, wemay have better suggestions.
Probably lack of self control. Not putting enough time into studying then doing hopeless cram sessionsthe few days before a test.

Probably lack of self control. Not putting enough time into studying then doing hopeless cram sessionsthe few days before a test.

In that case, try and stay in your current place. Write a heartfelt letter to the Dean outlining all the various resources you wil be taking advantage of to turn things around and what you plan of attack is. Get through the suspension, come back swinging, close down your facebook, erase the numbers in your phone that link you to "bad influences", sit yourself at a desk and study for a 4.0. Unless you are actually kicked out there is still a way to turn things around and staying in the same place looks better. You will likely have to take a 5th year to graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
I concur with my colleague's post, above. You really should decide now if you want to proceed as a student or leave school and find something else to do. If you choose the latter, keep in mind that many of people change their careers multiple times, so you really do have a lot of opportunity to come back to at least some kind of healthcare career sometime in the future. What ever you choose to do, do your absolute best and expect no less from yourself. Godspeed.

In that case, try and stay in your current place. Write a heartfelt letter to the Dean outlining all the various resources you wil be taking advantage of to turn things around and what you plan of attack is. Get through the suspension, come back swinging, close down your facebook, erase the numbers in your phone that link you to "bad influences", sit yourself at a desk and study for a 4.0. Unless you are actually kicked out there is still a way to turn things around and staying in the same place looks better. You will likely have to take a 5th year to graduate.
thans for the words of encouagemnt. I actually didnt fail anything this semster I just didnt keep my g9a high enough. Interstingly enough the bioengineering department here is becoming a biomedical one, with several sub specialies incuding pre med track that subs gen eds for pre med classes. It is possibly for me to get a low end gpa (3.3ish?) and if I get a strong mcat (big assumtption I know) there might be chancenafter all. But I dont want to cfool my self, best thing I can do is focus on next semster and tey my best when it starts

thans for the words of encouagemnt. I actually didnt fail anything this semster I just didnt keep my g9a high enough. Interstingly enough the bioengineering department here is becoming a biomedical one, with several sub specialies incuding pre med track that subs gen eds for pre med classes. It is possibly for me to get a low end gpa (3.3ish?) and if I get a strong mcat (big assumtption I know) there might be chancenafter all. But I dont want to cfool my self, best thing I can do is focus on next semster and tey my best when it starts

I give this advice to everyone who asks with your scenario: It's very unlikely that you'll "turn it around" and suddenly get straight A's. People do it, yes, but it's MUCH more common for people to "turn it around" and start getting B's and C's rather than 4.0s. You need straight A's. Biomed engineering isn't a bad field. :)

We've all shot ourselves in the foot at one point or another, and I feel for you. I wish you the very best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Medical school is much less conducive to cramming than undergrad, as there is sooo much more material. So if you don't have good study habits now, you will be at much greater risk of failing out (even if you somehow managed to get accepted). Ask yourself how willing you really are to deal with procrastination issues, as things won't magically get better.

I say this as someone who had a solid 3.5 GPA in undergrad despite cramming and procrastination. When I started medical school, I realized than being intelligent would no longer cover my poor habits, as I almost failed out despite working MUCH harder than undergrad. Thankfully I'm graduating this year. I saved myself only by being disciplined. Unless you can do that, you won't make it, as this process is a marathon not a sprint (as the saying goes).

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this. Sounds like you have some life issues to deal with first. I would get them fixed before re-entering school. If you're able to overcome them and reinvent yourself to show AdComs this was a fluke, then your chances will be good, once you proven you can handle medical school.

My entire college career has been one long disappointment. Ive been on acedemic prohibition and now its likely that ill be suspension next semster. My only choice is to go community college and start over. Would this scare med schools away from me?

It's a sign of maturity to have backup plans. I reject people who tell me at interviews that the only thing they'll do if not getting into medical school is to keep reapplying until they die or get accepted. Enthusiasm or drive are not replacements for maturity or competence.

Should I start looking at other careers?

That's fine.

My cc has a robust health sciences department. Another option I could try is going to my cc for just 1 semster and return to me 4 year uni next semster because the suspension could be as short as 1 semster. This would allow me to graduate quicker buti probablywont have a high enough gpa (although it still is possible i changed my major so I still have 3.5 years to go plus summer classes could give me a shot at this)[/quote]

This is going to be a major red flag and you will need to take on ton of hard work to overcome this handicap.
12h.jpg

Ah a post I can relate to! So I transfered from a school where the bare minimum got me a 3.5 gpa to a school that rewarded my "hard work" with academic probation and eventually dismissal. I petitioned it and was reinstated that semester and decided to do things the right way and the smart way so I dropped all of my classes I knew I wouldn't do well in and took classes that I knew I could successfully pass. I knew my bad study habits were the cause and worked my ass off that semester to strengthen them up. When I felt that I could handle a heavier load I added the harder classes back into the mix and did very well.
My advice would be to decide what you really want. When I petitioned my dismissal I laid ALL of my failures on the table and let them know that it was solely of my doing. Its not an easy thing to do and when I contacted the committee members in charge of the reinstatement she told me I had one of the best letters they saw. Next thing to do would be to play on your strengths. If you have weak study habits DON'T take classes that require you to be a good study person to be successful in. Take easier classes, strengthen your habit and then take those courses. If it takes you an extra semester then it takes you an extra semester. Also I LOVE the advice Rikz111 gave. All of this turn around 4.0 nonesense rarely happens so don't expect to make all A's when your about to fail out of school and don't know why. If you start with high C's and B's be happy. Learn what your doing wrong and really.work on it. Good Luck :)

Reactions: 1 users