dropping with a W with a good academic track record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toriabliz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm in quiet a predicament right now. I am currently a junior and am studying for the MCAT while taking classes. One of my classes, Biochemistry, is turning out to be quite a speed bump. I completely bombed the first exam after studying a lot for the test. The professor is new and has never taught a lower division test-the test was honestly just strange it didn't really test concepts covered in class. ANYWAYS I am freaking out because I don't know if I should withdraw from the class or not. Like I mentioned, I am studying for the MCAT and I am super worried that it is going to take time away from that, and I don't want to end up making a C in the class if I stay in and bomb the MCAT. My GPA is really high, I have only made one B before so I have a 3.95 and have never withdrawn. How bad is this going to look? Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One W shouldn't be a big deal, especially with your GPA. However, some medical schools are starting to require Biochemistry as a prerequisite, so if you drop it you might have to retake the class in the future.

Edit: Khan academy is a tremendous resource for biochemistry help. You might look into it before you drop!

One W shouldn't be a big deal, especially with your GPA. However, some medical schools are starting to require Biochemistry as a prerequisite, so if you drop it you might have to retake the class in the future.

Edit: Khan academy is a tremendous resource for biochemistry help. You might look into it before you drop!
Thank you! I was planning on taking it next semester with a different professor, and also when I have more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @glycoprotein1 (whose username I especially like). One W shouldn't be a big deal (and, in fact, I have one and I've had a good cycle so far).

However, before you drop, I'd suggest meeting with the professor and going over the exam. Ask her/him questions about what he's looking for and whatnot. This could prove useful in the future, should you decide to stay enrolled; furthermore, biochemistry is heavily emphasized on the MCAT—maybe this course can help? I absolutely bombed my first gen chem exam (33%), back when I didn't know how to study: turned it around, and got an A.

Keep your spirits up and work hard!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @glycoprotein1 (whose username I especially like). One W shouldn't be a big deal (and, in fact, I have one and I've had a good cycle so far).

However, before you drop, I'd suggest meeting with the professor and going over the exam. Ask her/him questions about what he's looking for and whatnot. This could prove useful in the future, should you decide to stay enrolled; furthermore, biochemistry is heavily emphasized on the MCAT—maybe this course can help? I absolutely bombed my first gen chem exam (33%), back when I didn't know how to study: turned it around, and got an A.

Keep your spirits up and work hard!
Thank you! I did and it wasn't a very helpful meeting. :( But thank you for the advice!

I have 4 withdrawals on my transcript, although 3 of them are 9 years old and another is 6 years old, and I have one II and no R's so far. LizzyM >75.
Talk to the professor maybe? If the class overall did poorly he may implement a grade replacement policy. Also check your school, some schools allow for early term withdrawals without leaving anything on the transcript.

I had more than 5 W's and had 10+ interviews and go to a top school. I was never asked about any W, but I was ready to address those questions. One W won't be the reason that people don't interview/accept you. Interestingly, on this forum it's people with almost perfect GPAs that have their W's the most scrutinized because it gets interpreted as a perfectionist who can't handle adversity or work to fix a problem.

If the class feels weird and not normal, I would drop. But I also wouldn't recommend taking the mcat now either. You need to dedicate time to just studying for it, because you're probably not doing any endeavor well right now. You also may benefit from taking and passing a formal biochem class first.

I had more than 5 W's and had 10+ interviews and go to a top school. I was never asked about any W, but I was ready to address those questions. One W won't be the reason that people don't interview/accept you. Interestingly, on this forum it's people with almost perfect GPAs that have their W's the most scrutinized because it gets interpreted as a perfectionist who can't handle adversity or work to fix a problem.

If the class feels weird and not normal, I would drop. But I also wouldn't recommend taking the mcat now either. You need to dedicate time to just studying for it, because you're probably not doing any endeavor well right now. You also may benefit from taking and passing a formal biochem class first.
You're exactly right I am not doing any endeavor well right now at all. And you nailed it, the class is strange, maybe this may be because the professor is from Germany and his test questions are worded very strangely, I don't quite know. But you're right it's unsettling. I plan on taking Biochemistry next semester with a different professor! Thank you so much for the advice.

Hi! I'm in quiet a predicament right now. I am currently a junior and am studying for the MCAT while taking classes. One of my classes, Biochemistry, is turning out to be quite a speed bump. I completely bombed the first exam after studying a lot for the test. The professor is new and has never taught a lower division test-the test was honestly just strange it didn't really test concepts covered in class. ANYWAYS I am freaking out because I don't know if I should withdraw from the class or not. Like I mentioned, I am studying for the MCAT and I am super worried that it is going to take time away from that, and I don't want to end up making a C in the class if I stay in and bomb the MCAT. My GPA is really high, I have only made one B before so I have a 3.95 and have never withdrawn. How bad is this going to look? Any advice? Thanks!

A W isn't going to kill you. It's fine. Your GPA and everything is really good. I do wanna say that you will have to take BioChem. Not only is it on the MCAT, but a lot of med schools do require it.

A W will not kill you.