Drug Testing in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Regulator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are attending pharmacy schools, I was just wondering if pharmacy schools require their students to take drug tests?? Since most of the schools require that their students go to hospital and community pharmacies, it seems it would be required. B/c I've been smoking marijuana in the summer and am getting kind of worried, b/c school is starting soon for me. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools or rotation sites do drug test (as well as jobs). Best advice is to stop now. Usually, it will pass through in less than 10 days.. unless you're a chronic user. If you abuse drugs, you'll risk losing your license (intern/pharmacist).

And know that if you work in a hospital or clinic or anywhere that has easy access to tox screens, that if any medication goes missing, everyone, at any time, can be hauled in for a tox screen. It just doesn't make sense to take any illegal medications (or legal medications that you don't have a prescription for) unless you want to lose your job and possibly your license. I've seen it happen. It ain't pretty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since marijuana is absorbed into fatty tissue it depends on your body composition and your frequency of use as to how long it can stay in your system. I know hair analysis can go back 90 days. You didn't ask for my opinion, so I won't give it to you, but you can guess what I think about using illegal drugs as a health professional....

Eventually you will end up taking a drug test, whether it be for school or an internship. I agree that quitting now and staying quit is the best option to avoid jeaopardizing your future career.

If you are a chronic user, you might want to talk to a doctor about something like Paxil (paroxetine) or Lexapro to help with the depression/general anxiety that chronic users can experience for awhile after quitting.

You should also be aware that if you use repeatedly it is going to take alot longer than 10 days to clear your system - possibly up to 2 months. That would be 5 months of non-use to pass a hair test.

Who does hair tests? Government high security institutions? I've never heard of anyone having to do that for a job/school...? Marijuana users have no problems passing urine tests, IF they know when they are going to be. There are tons of easy accessible ways to get around them (and I'm not talking about fake prosthetic genitalia. :eek: ). It's the random tests that are going to get you in trouble.

My husband had a hair test done. He was just working as a software developer for a local company in Tampa. In contrast, Eckerd did not drug test me.

My roommate works for Anheuser Busch at Sea World and they hair tested her- 90 days back!! They also do random urine tests. I guess they're worried someone's going to be smuggling or doing drugs around the animals. It's just quite funny for me that their drug testing policy is more stringent than most local pharmacies.

Hair testing is complete bull in my opinion. JD has his head shaved - I have somewhat long hair.....not fair!! :p

AmandaRxs said:
Hair testing is complete bull in my opinion. JD has his head shaved - I have somewhat long hair.....not fair!! :p
In that case, they don't take it from my "head" OUCH. The 90-day limit is imposed to prevent discrimination. It's obviously not fair to go back 5 years on a female, but only have 2 inches of hair (5 months?) on a male. :eek:

If you are gonna try to get around the hair test, you're going to have to get a full body wax! :eek: To avert suspicion, be sure to tell them your doctor recommended you wax to get rid of your body lice. :laugh:

BTW, jd, an inch a month is a normal hair growth rate. You are such a MALE! :rolleyes: I bet you have 3 pairs of shoes too.

bananaface said:
BTW, jd, an inch a month is a normal hair growth rate. You are such a MALE! :rolleyes: I bet you have 3 pairs of shoes too.
3) Scalp hair. Scalp hair is terminal hair unless the hair follicles have been affected by disease such as androgenetic alopecia. Terminal scalp hair grows in a clockwise whorl pattern on the top of the head with merging of this pattern into hair angled downwards and away from the face around the ears and lower back of the scalp. Growth rates are up to 0.35mm per day, possibly slightly faster in females (0.36mm) than males (0.34mm).

0.36mm/day*30 day/month=10.8mm/month=1.08cm/month=0.425 inch/month (Female) ;)

PS. 2 inches of hair on a male is ~5.066 months (30 days each). (See above post.. "~5 months" :idea: )

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I think hair testing is a horrible idea. But then again I say legalize. Just an opinion of course and I have and will continue to pass any drug test at any time. :)

Are you willing to risk your career on that statement?

He appears not to be willing to risk his career for it, as he claims to be able to test clean at any time.

Personal beliefs can co-exist with professional responsibilities. For example, I personally think it's jacked up that my state pays for such a large formulary of meds for DSHS patients, but that doesn't mean that I treat them any differently than other patients. Sometimes you (rightfully) give your personal beliefs a back seat. But, that doesn't mean they cease to exist.

jd, I'm still waiting to hear about your shoes.

Ya, the statement I was speaking of was being able to pass any drug test at any time. That's quite a bold statement. I'm not sure if he/she's pre-allo, or what, but one screw up and all your hard work could very well be...up in smoke.

One would have to actually be clean at all times to pass at all times. So I interpret his remark to mean that he's either clean or delusional. I guess he'll have to clarify which for us. :laugh:

Going by the handle, maybe he has settled for the bottle?

GravyRPH, yes I am in fact willing to risk my career on that statement. I said I would pass any test any time and I mean it. Also I'm a male and a pre-pharmacy student from Virginia.
Bananaface, I do like the bottle but actually plaster is my last name.

Jeremy

You still haven't clarified if you will pass any test because you don't take anything, or if you're just confident you can beat the test even though you use regularly.

GravyRPH, just to clarify I don't use any illegal substances. And the reason I support legalization is because I don't think it's the business or the government or anyone else what I do in my spare time.

Jeremy Plaster

Thanks for the clarification. ;) I didn't want any impressionable young minds getting the wrong idea.

Bananaface, that's a tough one. I do support the legalization of marijuana for recreational use, and a person's right to choose what substances they put in their body. However, I also understand that some substances, cocaine and heroin for example are extremely addictive, deadly, and detrimental to society. I do not believe these substances should be legal. I know that's a tough distinction to make and in the scheme of things my opinion doesn't matter but that's the way I see it.

jeremy plaster

I don't quite understand the influx of responses to Jeremy's simple post about legalizing marijuana. I know they aren't intended to be demeaning or negative, but - just because someone is for legalizing marijuana doesn't mean they're a druggie or all for missuse/overuse of drugs that have the potential to kill you. The purpose behind the coalition to legalize marijuana is that there is no evidence that it's toxic or harmful (besides the inhalation of smoke, which is, in itself, "iffy").

64microbus said:
When I read this article, I thought of this thread. Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1847599

Microbus out
I think it would be cool for someone to test this in real life. Smoke some pot for 1 week. Wait 2 days, de-tox with some of this crap and try 3 or 4 different drug screens. If they come up positive, try using another product.

My last drug test was a mouth swab. Not quite sure if anyone advertises a quick fix for that one (or if it's even testing for THC).

AmandaRxs said:
The purpose behind the coalition to legalize marijuana is that there is no evidence that it's toxic or harmful (besides the inhalation of smoke, which is, in itself, "iffy").

Here is some information to dispute the claim that there is no evidence that marijuana is toxic or harmful.

Effects of marijuana useage: (utdol.com monograph summarized)

Chronic use: COPD, permanent cognative impairment, increased rates of psychiatric disorders (depression, schizophrenia), decreased testosterone in men (sex drive and sperm count lowers in men), and theoretically (based on tar, carcinogen, and particulate content) lung disease (lung cancer, emphysema, asthma severity/incidence)

Acute overdose: most serious are tachycardia and acute hypertension, acute anxiety, and paranoia

Also, one of my friends experienced an acute overdose in college. He had gone to a party off campus and never felt high so he kept smoking. Then he ended up feeling nauseous so he came home. Just before he got home he started throwing up. He actually threw up over the railing in the dorm and it landed on some people's bicycles, which we thought was hilariously gross until we realized he had more than just a GI ailment going on. He was flushed, sweaty, agitated, severely nauseous, and had a starting pulse rate of ~160bpm. He was coherent and adimantly against seeking medical attention, since he was uninsured and there wasn't anything that could be done besides monitoring him. I was worried that if we tried to force him to go to the ER that he would get even more agitated make his condition worse. After I got him to sit still and focus on relaxing his heart rate decreased to 145bpm. The retching lasted for about half an hour. It took 3-4 hours to get his pulse down to ~110bpm. He quit smoking pot after that.

bananaface said:
Here is some information to dispute the claim that there is no evidence that marijuana is toxic or harmful.

Effects of marijuana useage: (utdol.com monograph summarized)

Chronic use: COPD, permanent cognative impairment, increased rates of psychiatric disorders (depression, schizophrenia), decreased testosterone in men (sex drive and sperm count lowers in men), and theoretically (based on tar, carcinogen, and particulate content) lung disease (lung cancer, emphysema, asthma severity/incidence)

Acute overdose: most serious are tachycardia and acute hypertension, acute anxiety, and paranoia
Blah blah blah.. compare any of those to alcohol, cigarettes, even OTC meds or herbal supplements. An "acute overdose" of just about anything else would be MUCH worse. Puking is never fun, but it's not the end of the world. Look up acute "overdose" of WATER and see what damage occurs. People die from it. Find anyone who has died directly as a result of smoking pot? BTW- From what I understand, they grow some potent stuff up there in the pacific northwest. ;)

jdpharmd? said:
Blah blah blah.. compare any of those to alcohol, cigarettes, even OTC meds or herbal supplements. An "acute overdose" of just about anything else would be MUCH worse. Puking is never fun, but it's not the end of the world. Look up acute "overdose" of WATER and see what damage occurs. People die from it. Find anyone who has died directly as a result of smoking pot? BTW- From what I understand, they grow some potent stuff up there in the pacific northwest. ;)
We should ask Baggywrinkle about this since he grew up in the 60's! lol

I dont know weather to laugh or just shake my head. The puking part is killing me. As bad as that episode sounded it is nothing compared to what I see every weekend at most most clubs. I will still say alcohol is far worse than the chronic. I personally have never used it, but I have several friends that do. When they get high the most they want to do is order take out and watch the Cartoon Channel. My other friends who like to drink always want to drive to go to the next party or bar. A few DUIs and a conviction for vehicular homicide taught one of them a lesson that drinking is not good. As far as the whole smoking pot in school, I would probably suggest that you not even do it. Is it really worth playing the odds? Why piss away 6 years of school over a plant.

Also,
I have a shaved head and I had to take a drug test. Take from me, they will take the black and curly hairs if they need it

jdpharmd? said:

Hey, I was told pot was harmless, so I refuted the statement. :rolleyes:
Misinformation irritates me. I guess you just had to be there to see how bad off my friend was.

As far as death resulting directly from marijuana use, ingestion is the only documented route of administration with direct fatalities. But, the incidence of MI goes up 5 times for those who have just smoked marijuana, due to the cardiovascular effects. And, auto accident and fatality rates are also significantly higher following marijuana use. There are also quality of life issues to consider. Chronic users are generally only better off than before if they are using marijuana for medical purposes. I know people who can't keep a steady job because of their habit. I would hate to see legalization, as it would likely amplify these problems.

What other hallucinogenic agents can you think of that are legally sold OTC, jd?

It would be funny if you could buy pot brownies at the grocery store, though. :laugh:

bananaface said:
Hey, I was told pot was harmless, so I refuted the statement. :rolleyes:
Misinformation irritates me. I guess you just had to be there to see how bad off my friend was. What other hallucinogenic agents can you think of that are legally sold OTC, jd?

As far as death resulting directly from marijuana use, ingestion is the only documented route of administration with direct fatalities. But, the incidence of MI goes up 5 times for those who have just smoked marijuana, due to the cardiovascular effects. And, auto accident and fatality rates are also significantly higher following marijuana use. There are also quality of life issues to consider. Chronic users are generally only better off than before if they are using marijuana for medical purposes. I know people who can't keep a steady job because of their habit. I would hate to see legalization, as it would likely amplify these problems.

It would be funny if you could buy pot brownies at the grocery store, though. :laugh:

Could you please explain how you feel about the recreational use of alcohol? :cool:

AmandaRxs said:
Could you please explain how you feel about the recreational use of alcohol? :cool:
Sure. I have no problem with recreational alcohol use, when people are not driving impaired, hazing their frat mates (WSU), rioting (UW), choking on their own vomit, otherwise making themselves sick, beating up other people, etc.

See my avatar???? :laugh:

I wasn't going to post to this topic, but I'm surprised that people feel so strongly about such a harmless mild drug.

I fully agree with jplaster's reasoning as to why mj should be legal and maybe other drugs shouldn't be.

For all of you who are anti pot would you make alcohol illegal again too? For all our flag waiving and b.s. about freedom some people would do alot to infringe on other's freedom. I'd understand if a substance has a serious cost for society, but it's clear that pot dose not cost our society nearly as much as alcohol or even the health cost that fast foods put on society.
Maybe we should all focuse on more serious matters like making unhealthy foods illegal, lol.

The above post about overdose is the 1st i've ever heard of such a thing and I've known quite a few pot heads, some who are in the health care professions . are you sure he wasn't drinking at that party too? anyway like jdpharmd said you can potentially overdose on anything.

just for the record I don't smoke, although I do like my drink. I've lived in a country where alcohol was illegal and don't like the idea of society telling people what they can or can't do unless there's just cause for it.

bananaface said:
Sure. I have no problem with recreational alcohol use, when people are not driving impaired, hazing their frat mates (WSU), rioting (UW), choking on their own vomit, otherwise making themselves sick, beating up other people, etc.

See my avatar???? :laugh:

The fact is marijuana is almost as harmless as a drug can get.

Marijuana
Dependency:
Physical Dependence: None
Psychological Dependence: Moderate
Tolerance: Mild

versus

Alcohol
Physical Dependence: Severe with frequent, heavy use
Psychological Dependence: moderate
Tolerance: Strong with frequent, heavy use
Source: The Merck Manual: Sixteenth Edition, published 1992

Therefore, the only excuse to still be against legalization (and ok with alcohol), is the fact that you see pot use as an inducer of poor quality of life. Yes, I too have had my friends who became NOTHING other than lazy pot smokers. One friend in particular basically had a full-ride scholarship to a college of his choice with the dreams of becoming an ER doc, and where is he now? On his porch, smoking a bowl, collecting money from the gov't. But does that mean this drug should be illegal? When do people start taking responsibility for their actions??? Is the fact that he chose not to take advantage of his immense opportunities the fault of pot? I don't think so. A lot of these people that end up being "pot head losers" are clinically depressed. Embarassed to see a doctor for depression some people take up marijuana or alcohol or anything to ease their "pain".

As for deaths that marijuana supposedly causes check out this link
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm

Is it fair to compare alcoholism to casual marijuana useage a la Merck? And, why do you insist that there are no negative physiological consequenses of useage? Can you tell me why any drug with hallucinogenic properties should be legalized?

Here are some recent medical references on the subject:
US Departmant of Health and Human Services
MD Consult (2004, patient info leaflet, requires subscription)
Up to Date Monograph (2004, requires subscription)
Merck Manual Home Edition (2003)
Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (1999-2004)
StatRef (2004, requires subscription)

More people use alcohol recreationally than use marijuana recreationally. And, almost everyone I have known who uses marijuana casually eventually has to choose between smoking it and living a productive life. The same problem does not exist with casual alcohol use.

If you want people to take responsibility for their actions, all the more reason not to legalize. People will use legalizaton as an excuse to blame everyone but themselves for the problems caused by marijuana use.

bananaface said:
Can you tell me why any drug with hallucinogenic properties should be legalized?

Where can I get some of this marijuana? It's gotta be some damn good stuff. ;) :p

bananaface said:
Is it fair to compare alcoholism to casual marijuana useage a la Merck? And, why do you insist that there are no negative physiological consequenses of useage? Can you tell me why any drug with hallucinogenic properties should be legalized?

Here are some recent medical references on the subject:
US Departmant of Health and Human Services
MD Consult (2004, patient info leaflet, requires subscription)
Up to Date Monograph (2004, requires subscription)
Merck Manual Home Edition (2003)
Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (1999-2004)
StatRef (2004, requires subscription)

More people use alcohol recreationally than use marijuana recreationally. And, almost everyone I have known who uses marijuana casually eventually has to choose between smoking it and living a productive life. The same problem does not exist with casual alcohol use.

If you want people to take responsibility for their actions, all the more reason not to legalize. People will use legalizaton as an excuse to blame everyone but themselves for the problems caused by marijuana use.
The MDconsult one is funny for sure. Reminds me of the 1950's ads that associated drug use with the devil or pedophiles.

"Marijuana's Adverse Effects
Could I become chemically dependent on marijuana?

Yes. When you?re chemically dependent on marijuana, it means you crave it and you need to use more and more to get the same effect. You may have withdrawal symptoms, such as depressed feelings, trouble sleeping or nausea, when you stop using it. Because marijuana is a lot stronger now than it used to be, people are also more likely to abuse it and become dependent on it than they were in the past.

Is marijuana use associated with other drug use?

Yes. Many people use legal drugs like alcohol or cigarettes before they start using marijuana. Marijuana is the most commonly used illegal substance in the United States. It?s often the first illegal drug a person will try. Sometimes marijuana use leads to the use of other illegal drugs.

What are the common side effects of marijuana use?

The following are some of the common side effects of using marijuana:

Trouble remembering things
Sleepiness
Anxiety
Paranoia (feeling that people are ?out to get you?)
Altered time perception
Using marijuana for a long time makes some people lose interest in school, work, relationships and other activities. It may also cause legal problems. Using marijuana can be especially dangerous in certain situations, such as when you are driving.

How can marijuana affect me physically?

The following are some of the common physical effects of marijuana:

Tremors (shaking)
Nausea
Headache
Coordination becoming worse
Breathing problems
Increased appetite
Reduced blood flow to the brain
Changes in the reproductive organs
Like tobacco, marijuana contains many chemicals that can hurt the lungs and cause cancer. One marijuana cigarette can cause more damage to the lungs than many tobacco cigarettes because marijuana has more tar in it and is usually smoked without filters.

How can I learn more?

For more information, call the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information at 800-729-6686, or visit their Web site at www.health.org. You may also contact the National Institute on Drug Abuse at 888-NIH-NIDA (888-644-6432), or visit their Web site at www.drugabuse.gov. "

www.mdconsult.com

PS even though they may consider marijuana to be in the "hallucinogen" category, it does not cause "hallucinations".. which would mean to me that it's not "hallucinagenic" as you stated.

jdpharmd? said:
PS even though they may consider marijuana to be in the "hallucinogen" category, it does not cause "hallucinations".. which would mean to me that it's not "hallucinagenic" as you stated.

If you want to disagree with the medical literature's classification, well, whatever. :sleep:

MD Consult notes (above): "altered time perception" and "paranoia"
The Merck Manual notes: "It is mildly psychedelic, causing time, color, and spatial perceptions to distort and be enhanced"
UptoDate notes:" Euphoria, Time distortion, Impaired short-term memory, Paranoia, Mystical thinking"

bananaface said:
If you want to disagree with the medical literature's classification, well, whatever. :sleep:

MD Consult notes (above): "altered time perception" and "paranoia"
The Merck Manual notes: "It is mildly psychedelic, causing time, color, and spatial perceptions to distort and be enhanced"
UptoDate notes:" Euphoria, Time distortion, Impaired short-term memory, Paranoia, Mystical thinking"

http://home.mdconsult.com/das/patient/view/39477535-2/10062/15322.html/top?sid=287109471

Did you notice that this particular link is ?Patient Handout? information? Hmmm what kind of spin do you think they put on that one??? Try finding a real scientific article/book that will say the same thing. You won?t. Marijuana is not physically dependent.
Any drug that causes euphoria and diminishes anxiety can cause dependence, and cannabis is no exception. However, heavy use and complaints of inability to stop are unusual. Cannabis can be used episodically without evidence of social or psychologic dysfunction. The term dependence probably is misapplied to many users. No withdrawl syndrome occurs when the drug is discontinued, but some heavy users report disrupted sleep and nervousness when they stop.

Smoked cannabis produces a dreamy state of consciousness in which ideas seem disconnected, unanticipated, and free-flowing. Time, color, and spatial perceptions may be altered. In general, a feeling of well-being??.Critics of marijuana cite much scientific data regarding adverse effects, but most of the claims regarding severe biologic impact are unsubstantiated, even among relatively heavy users.

Hallucinogen Dependence (page 1593)
Hallucinogens include lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), psilocybin, mescaline, 2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine, 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), and other substituted amphetamine-like compounds. The term hallucinogen persists, although use of these drugs may not produce hallucinations. Alternative terms, such as psychedelic or psychotomimetic are even less appropriate.

[Where?s cannabis on this list?]

Banana did you notice the difference between the information in the Merck Manual Home Edition (2003) and the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (1999-2004)? The Home Edition states it?s ?mildly psychedelic?, whereas in Diagnosis and Therapy it says nothing of the sort. It seems to me that there is a lot of misinformation out there. Is this a big government conspiracy to keep kids off pot? :laugh:

AmandaRxs said:
Is this a big government conspiracy to keep kids off pot? :laugh:
Confucius Say: "Man who stands on toilet is high on pot." :idea:

AmandaRxs said:
Did you notice that this particular link is ?Patient Handout? information? Hmmm what kind of spin do you think they put on that one??? Try finding a real scientific article/book that will say the same thing. You won?t. Marijuana is not physically dependent.

The Merck Manual Home Edition is an appropriate tertiary resource for this type of discussion. Interestingly, the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy passage which you quoted says "Any drug that causes euphoria and diminishes anxiety can cause dependence, and cannabis is no exception." Later they say, "The term dependence probably is misapplied to many users." Many, but not all users are non-dependant according to Merck. Other references above also cite physical dependance.

Here is an excerpt from UpToDate:
"Withdrawal ? Physical dependence on marijuana definitely occurs [14], and heavy use for more than 21 days results in a withdrawal syndrome after abrupt cessation [15]. Marijuana withdrawal begins within 10 hours of the last dose and consists of irritability, agitation, depression, insomnia, nausea, anorexia, and tremor. These symptoms peak in 48 hours and last for five to seven days.

Marijuana withdrawal is uncomfortable but not life-threatening. Thus, treatment is entirely supportive and nearly always accomplished without the need for adjunctive medications."

AmandaRxs said:
Banana did you notice the difference between the information in the Merck Manual Home Edition (2003) and the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (1999-2004)? The Home Edition states it?s ?mildly psychedelic?, whereas in Diagnosis and Therapy it says nothing of the sort.

If you follow the link to the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy which I provided it reads, "Smoked cannabis produces a dreamy state of consciousness in which ideas seem disconnected, unanticipated, and free-flowing. Time, color, and spatial perceptions may be altered. In general, a feeling of well-being and relaxation (a "high") results." I would interpret these symptoms as an example of a mildly psychadelic episode.

This thread is getting a little heavy so it is time for a "Stupid Erica" story. Erica was one of my suitemates in college and she was SO stupid. Oh yeah, and she smoked pot too.

On April 20th, 1998....
Erica gets up at 7am, walks into the kitchen, and says to her roomate, "Oh my God! I can't believe it's 4/20 and we forgot to get up at 4:20! We are such losers!" And I say, "Um, Erica. You know it's going to be 4:20 again later this afternoon, right?" And, Erica says, "Oh yeah. I forgot all about that." Then she turns to Nirvana (her roomate) and says, "ALL RIGHT! WE ARE GOING TO GET SO WASTED." Then they started jumping up and down together. They never did remember to do anything that day. :rolleyes:

bananaface said:
This thread is getting a little heavy so it is time for a "Stupid Erica" story. Erica was one of my suitemates in college and she was SO stupid. Oh yeah, and she smoked pot too.

On April 20th, 1998....
Erica gets up at 7am, walks into the kitchen, and says to her roomate, "Oh my God! I can't believe it's 4/20 and we forgot to get up at 4:20! We are such losers!" And I say, "Um, Erica. You know it's going to be 4:20 again later this afternoon, right?" And, Erica says, "Oh yeah. I forgot all about that." Then she turns to Nirvana (her roomate) and says, "ALL RIGHT! WE ARE GOING TO GET SO WASTED." Then they started jumping up and down together. They never did remember to do anything that day. :rolleyes:

I think I can beat that, although my story has to do with real psychadelics (mushrooms). :p
A few friends of mine went to an indoor amusement park and played an arcade game for a half hour before they realized they never put in a quarter. They were really just "playing" the demo that is automatically displayed. :laugh: :laugh:

But I have a whole collection of stupid Erica stories....

#2 Erica's TV is broken

When I left in the moring, my roomate Cathy had been drying her hair and had left her blow dryer sitting on top of the TV. Erica asked Cathy not to unplug the VCR so that the clock would not be reset. So Cathy told Erica she would unplug the TV instead.

When I walked into the suite after class, Erica and Nirvana were sitting on the couch stoned and having a very melodramatic discussion about the TV being broken. Erica was especially upset since she wanted to watch Ricki Lake. I asked Erica how she figured that the TV was broken. She said, "When I push the remote button it doesn't go on. And that little blinking light means the remote is working!" So then she sits there and shows me the blinking light. I asked her if she remembered Cathy blow drying her hair what moring. She said she remembered, but made no connection. Then, I asked her if she thought the blow dryer on top of the TV had anything to do with why it might not be working. She told me that it wasn't going to hurt the TV just sitting on top of it. So I went and unplugged it from behind the TV, plugged in the TV again and told her the TV should work again. She as like. "Oh Anna, you are so SMART! Now we can watch Ricki Lake!"

Then, the next day....
I walk into the suite and Erica and Nirvana are sitting on the couch stoned and acting confused. And wouldn't you know the TV was "broken" again? So I asked them if they remembered what happened last time the TV wouldn't turn on. Erica was like "It wasn't really broken then. But this time we tried everything and it still doesn't work." Since the blowdryer was on top of the TV again, I went over and unplugged it and pulgged the TV back in again. And they were like "Oh Anna you are so SMART! We should call you every time the TV stops working!"

Arrrrrggggghhhh!