Drug Testing Questions:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Time Magazine stated in a Nov. 4, 2002 article "Is Pot Good For You?" by John Cloud:
"No one has ever died of THC [marijuana] poisoning, mostly because a 160-lb. person would have to smoke roughly 900 joints in a sitting to reach a lethal dose."

The DEA's Administrative Law Judge, Francis Young concluded: "In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume. For example, eating 10 raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death. Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care.:

Source: US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition," [Docket #86-22], (September 6, 1988), p. 57.
http://www.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/young.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

I guess basically i'm saying the hyperinflation of a weed is caused by its legal status, it barely costs anything to grow and it's not that hard either (not that I know personally).

Totally true... Ahhh... the magic of supply and demand.

A bit off-topic, but why do we incarcerate drug addicts when we can put them through re-hab? It's more cost effective, and it's a step forward to try to fix the problem rather than throwing mostly non-violent drug offenders with real criminals. Is it because of the privatized prison system and lobbyist money?

quoted from:

"The average cost per year to incarcerate an inmate in the United States is $20,674, the Federal average cost is $23,542, and the State average is $20,261.11 Annual costs among local jail systems vary widely, from $8,037 to $66,795.12

The National Treatment Improvement Evaluation Study (NTIES) from the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) reports that the average cost per treatment episode was $2,941 between 1993 and 1995.16 The average treatment benefit to society was $9,177 per client. This resulted in an average savings of three to one: every $1 spent on treatment saved society $3. The savings resulted from reduced crime-related costs, increased earnings, and reduced health care costs that would otherwise be borne by society."

Back on topic, the war on drugs is clearly not working. Bodies are piling up on our borders, and the wrong people are making a ton of money. Alcohol prohibition failed miserably; when will Americans wake up and see the reality of the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
you just said it. you can make money off prisoners. You can't make money off rehab-ers.

you just said it. you can make money off prisoners. You can't make money off rehab-ers.

Uhh ... prisoners don't pay for their food/room&board/healthcare/etc ... we do! Make what money off prisoners? They drain our resources :confused:

They give people jobs and sometimes sometimes do community service :cool:

Uhh ... prisoners don't pay for their food/room&board/healthcare/etc ... we do! Make what money off prisoners? They drain our resources :confused:

In Miami they have a work release camp (for state prisoners) right next to the TGK city jail, and they ride bikes to work at places near-by like fast food restaurants or telemarketing call centers, and the state takes at least half of their paycheck, so that's one way they can kind of make some money back, but I agree that non-violent/ "victimless" crimes should probably be sentenced to more community service or some rehab rather than hard prison time. Unless of course someone is trafficking massive amounts of drugs into the states or across state borders, because that's pretty big time organized crime.

But if they're doing community service or working at jobs ... those people usually don't get stuck in prison ...

At least in Cali, even if you end up with 3 petty felonies like shoplifting or some idiotic act of breaking the law (non-violent, non-serious, petty theft, drug possession, receiving stolen property, illegal weapons) ... you end up with a minimum sentence of 25 years in prison after the third strike. Probation isn't an option either if they've committed a new felony. And they can't reduce their sentences more than 1/5 from "good behavior". Take Gary Ewing for example ... on parole, decides to go out and shoplift a couple golf clubs ... less than $400 worth too ... turns into a felony from some legal technicalities... ends up with 25 years to life. There are others that shoplift videos and end up with life sentences -_-. Some guy shoplifted nine movies including Snow White and Cinderella ... bam! 50 year to life in prison (two shoplifting charges) and not eligible for parole for 50 years.

Maybe other states are more lenient on non-violent crimes and allow community service or however they deal with it... In Cali, they are just a burden to the tax payers and draining resources from a bankrupt state.

They give people jobs and sometimes sometimes do community service :cool:

The guy before me said we make money off prisoners -_-. I was responding to that. Giving people jobs to babysit these felons = paying people to watch other people in cages = draining bankrupt state.

But if they're doing community service or working at jobs ... those people usually don't get stuck in prison ...

At least in Cali, even if you end up with 3 petty felonies like shoplifting or some idiotic act of breaking the law (non-violent, non-serious, petty theft, drug possession, receiving stolen property, illegal weapons) ... you end up with a minimum sentence of 25 years in prison after the third strike. Probation isn't an option either if they've committed a new felony. And they can't reduce their sentences more than 1/5 from "good behavior". Take Gary Ewing for example ... on parole, decides to go out and shoplift a couple golf clubs ... less than $400 worth too ... turns into a felony from some legal technicalities... ends up with 25 years to life. There are others that shoplift videos and end up with life sentences -_-. Some guy shoplifted nine movies including Snow White and Cinderella ... bam! 50 year to life in prison (two shoplifting charges) and not eligible for parole for 50 years.

Maybe other states are more lenient on non-violent crimes and allow community service or however they deal with it... In Cali, they are just a burden to the tax payers and draining resources from a bankrupt state.

The guy before me said we make money off prisoners -_-. I was responding to that. Giving people jobs to babysit these felons = paying people to watch other people in cages = draining bankrupt state.

Yeah Florida is the same way with the "3 strikes" thing. Most of our prisoners are in jail for drug charges, etc as well. You can only get work release if you are non-violent though, so I agree that it is a drain, and there are better things to remedy non-violent or "victimless" offenders, but I was just adding something they do to at least "try" to recoup some of the money, but it's definitely not enough.

Wow. What a waste of resources (people in prison for excessive sentences for non-violent crimes). The judicial system acts as if this is a deterrant but really, you have to admit that there is just a certain type of person that does this ****. They will take the risk without thinking of the consequences. It is the same mentality with drunk drivers ("I won't get caught"). These ridiculous sentences are part of what is making your state's finances go into the crapper. Plus, these weirdos get free healthcare, free housing, free meals, etc.while some law abiding citizens practically live in squalor. Such a shame...

Hey, we're letting non-violent offenders out early! Hell yeah!

LMAO- I am just saying...with the example that kmoogs gave up there- I think those sentences were a bit excessive. Hell, make them pay some money, do some community service, etc. I would sooner lock up a drunk driver for years than some guy that steals Disney movies.

basically, you want the catch all solution to any issue that ties back to drugs and violence? WELFARE. Cut the funding. CUT IT ALL.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Recently got accepted at Glendale and I began filling out all the forms regarding matriculation.. I noticed in the immunizations table that a drug screening section was placed there. Do you have to submit to a drug test before classes or orientation?>

And no, I'm not a habitual user or anything like that, just partied way too hard one night and one thing led to another. I'm somewhat worried.. :(

How is the matriculation process anyway?

Recently got accepted at Glendale and I began filling out all the forms regarding matriculation.. I noticed in the immunizations table that a drug screening section was placed there. Do you have to submit to a drug test before classes or orientation?>

And no, I'm not a habitual user or anything like that, just partied way too hard one night and one thing led to another. I'm somewhat worried.. :(

haha

If you smoked a doobie, that stuff is going to be in your system for a while....

And, since you are starting in June, it might be cause for alarm.

This is why people shouldn't do drugs. Whatever happened to the "Just say no!" campaigns?

If you smoked a doobie, that stuff is going to be in your system for a while....

Not quite. It depends how frequent you smoke. Someone who lights up once a week will pass THC in a urine test for a month or more. Someone who lights up once in a blue moon will pass THC in urine for 1-2 weeks at most.

I'd be more worried that I posted this info on the most popular Pharmacy Student forum on the web if I were the OP... :smuggrin:

Not quite. It depends how frequent you smoke. Someone who lights up once a week will pass THC in a urine test for a month or more. Someone who lights up once in a blue moon will pass THC in urine for 1-2 weeks at most.

I'd be more worried that I posted this info on the most popular Pharmacy Student forum on the web if I were the OP... :smuggrin:
Anyone else notice the irony in their username and the topic of this discussion?

You sound like the expert :smuggrin:

OP starts pharmacy school in a couple of weeks. Depending on when he/she smoked, it can still be detected. But, let me reiterate...drugs are bad, mmmmkay?

We had a pharm guy talk to us. He said the one thing no school will tolerate illegal drugs. You will be in charge of many drugs as a pharmacist and there are too many ways to abuse your power.

Have you tried those system flusher things? I heard they work.

If they do a hair test, my friend bleached his hair and it worked for him, haha.

On the other hand, I'm sure weed will be legal in our lifetimes. And once it is, I'm sure going to try it!

on the straight and narrow path. OP has chosen a most fitting name.

Marijuana has been rightly coined the 'gateway' drug. In and of itself--practically harmless, but as a stepping stone, it has the potential for devastating, devastating consequences.

We know little about you, except that you came to this board with an honest concern, and you were brave enough to share with us your story. This board is here to support you.
Consider how your actions will affect your health, and others around you. Consider if it is in your best interest to come clean right now, pass your exams, and contribute meaningfully to society. I will pray for your quick recovery.

Best of luck,

Last edited:
edit: DRUGS ARE BAD. MARIJUANA IS NOT A DRUG, IT"S AN HERB.

For the OP: you'll be fine. drink lots of juice and water, i'm talking at minimal, a gallon a day. on top of that, look up pills/shakes you can take/buy from GNC to help clean your system.

And, since you are starting in June, it might be cause for alarm.

This is why people shouldn't do drugs. Whatever happened to the "Just say no!" campaigns?

wow,

and from an admin?

Keep this in mind; if you're peeing clear, you're peeing less of everything (except water)

I don't know when this drug test is, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that you'll be clean in a week if you only smoked one night. And if it was something other than marijuana, you have no problem.
Water logging yourself would work because you would likely get below the threshold of what's considered a positive result. Although, some drug testing facilities might consider such a dilution a positive result or untestable. But like I said, if you only smoked once, you'll be good in a week.

With a hair sample I believe you will get caught, as the sample for testing can trace drug use back many months. However, if its just a urine test (I'm guessing it is) then you should be good in 14 days. At different smoke shops they have powders you mix with water to flush your system. My friends growing up used these quite a few times and never get caught. So its probably worth the investment.

My advice besides the obvious of dont smoke... is to take something to begin the flush... and then just drink a lot of fluids. If you do this and wait until the last possible minute to take the urine test...you will be fine.

Everyone does silly things in life, but this should be a wake-up call. You have worked too hard to throw it away. Good Luck!

It's May. THC is lipid-soluble and is stored in your fat cells. Unless you have extremely slow metabolism and/or are overweight and do not exercise, a month should be more than enough time to metabolize all the THC of a one night blunt. Some other drugs are flushed out long before THC although I wouldn't want to help you this way if you did do another drug. If your orientation is not within a month you should be OK

Last edited:
what are you people doing?
This guy partied it up, engaged in an illegal activity, and could very well have risked the lives of everyone around him. You guys are trying to help him beat the system? Tell him its gonna be okay?

If he just murdered a man, you'll tell him, oh, it's gonna be okay if he flushes his system and hides his evidence?

If he drove drunk even if just once, that's fine too?
---
Healthcare professionals are held at the highest of standards. There is no room for this kind of smut in our world. The path to recovery starts with a lifestyle overhaul. In times like these, you've got to shape up, or ship out! including the sympathizers.
We've got no room for cannabis in this world, except in highly highly restricted, medically-approved uses.

There are plenty of places that make detox drinks. I do not speak from experience, but I know plenty of people that have taken them a week or two prior to their drug screening and have passed with flying colors.

Disclaimer: I do not condone or encourage the use of drugs. :thumbup:

This guy partied it up, engaged in an illegal activity, and could very well have risked the lives of everyone around him. You guys are trying to help him beat the system? Tell him its gonna be okay?

If he just murdered a man, you'll tell him, oh, it's gonna be okay if he flushes his system and hides his evidence?

---
Healthcare professionals are held at the highest of standards. There is no room for this kind of smut in our world. The path to recovery starts with a lifestyle overhaul. In times like these, you've got to shape up, or ship out! including the sympathizers.
We've got no room for cannabis in this world, except in highly highly restricted, medically-approved uses.

Dude, get off your soap box! I don’t condone his behavior, but I hardly think you can compare smoking weed and murder....are you serious? This is somebody who is about to enter a professional medical career... he isn’t in it yet. Yes...he needs to grow up, but do you disregard helping somebody because of a mistake they made? The whole concept behind this profession is to show compassion, and look beyond what problems a person may have and help the best way you can. If a patient asks you "I smoked weed today, will any of the drugs you are giving me have an interaction?".... do you not give them your professional advice? I would hope not... this poster (who again isn’t in the profession yet) asked a question...stirred up conversation/ debate….yes…. but didn’t kill anyone. People aren’t perfect and we shouldn't throw stones when we all live in glass houses....

Thanks for your response IKR, your opinion is valid. I compare smoking to murder because I want to figure where we draw the line. When is one action okay vs another? and why in particular is smoking marijuana so acceptable?

Regarding how we treat our smoking patients, of course we should treat them to the best of our ability with minimal bias. Our primary goal is to optimize pharmacotherapy, minimize adverse drug events, and keep our patients out of harm's way.
It's funny that we have all these disease management programs, glucose, hypertension screens, and smoking cessation programs. It's okay to make people stop smoking tobacco, but its not okay to stop them from smoking marijuana.
It's also okay to exchange needles and syringes with heroine addicts and encourage their habit, and also encourage rampant unprotected sex by freely dispensing levonorgestrel (plan B). What are we here? Lame duck bystanders to the loosening of morals and decline of American civilization?

Instead of reprimanding these people, we enable them. Instead of instilling discipline, self-respect, and God-fearing dignity in our patients, we stand back and let them do as they please because we ourselves can't tell whats right from wrong anymore.

Thanks for your response IKR, your opinion is valid. I compare smoking to murder because I want to figure where we draw the line. When is one action okay vs another? and why in particular is smoking marijuana so acceptable?

Regarding how we treat our smoking patients, of course we should treat them to the best of our ability with minimal bias. Our primary goal is to optimize pharmacotherapy, minimize adverse drug events, and keep our patients out of harm's way.
It's funny that we have all these disease management programs, glucose, hypertension screens, and smoking cessation programs. It's okay to make people stop smoking tobacco, but its not okay to stop them from smoking marijuana.
It's also okay to exchange needles and syringes with heroine addicts and encourage their habit, and also encourage rampant unprotected sex by freely dispensing levonorgestrel (plan B). What are we here? Lame duck bystanders to the loosening of morals and decline of American civilization?

Instead of reprimanding these people, we enable them. Instead of instilling discipline, self-respect, and God-fearing dignity in our patients, we stand back and let them do as they please because we ourselves can't tell whats right from wrong anymore.

ill keep it simple buddy, get out of your box. Take it how you want to.

ill keep it simple buddy, get out of your box. Take it how you want to.

i'll keep it simple buddy, if you do any type of drug weeks before you're supposed to matriculate into pharm school, you're ******ed. my semi pothead friend was smart enough to stay clean the months before med school started.

---
At first I was thinking WTF? to this post.

Then I saw this, and it all made sense.

Instead of making this thread into a debate of what is right or wrong (we already know what's wrong), can somebody answer the OP and tell him when CPG gives the drug test? I am not a student...but my GUESS is that the tests will be given prior to the rotations, which starts the third year.

Instead of making this thread into a debate of what is right or wrong (we already know what's wrong), can somebody answer the OP and tell him when CPG gives the drug test? I am not a student...but my GUESS is that the tests will be given prior to the rotations, which starts the third year.

Yeah thats all I wanted to know. If we had to get tested before classes officially begins in June. There is a section on the immunizations, but no forms or anything else on the website. ill give them a call. Before rotations i'll def be clean. =)

thanks for all your help

Are there any P1's on here that can tell me what type of drug test Regis will be administering? Is it a urine, blood, follicle, or swab test? If it is a urine test, how many panels are there and do they test for creatine level. Thanks for your input.

And for all your haters out there, I honestly don't care what your thoughts are about drug usage and how you feel about me or the question. All I need is an answer and nothing more. Thanks.

---
your test will be a urine test.

Substances Tested:
Amphetamines Negative
Barbiturates Negative
Benzodiazepines Negative
Cocaine Negative
Methadone Negative
Methaqualone Negative
Opiates Negative
Phencyclidine Negative
Propoxyphene Negative
Marijuana Negative
---

Let me ask you this. What's the harm in just quitting and coming clean?

Last edited:
---

Substances Tested:
Amphetamines Negative
Barbiturates Negative
Benzodiazepines Negative
Cocaine Negative
Methadone Negative
Methaqualone Negative
Opiates Negative
Phencyclidine Negative
Propoxyphene Negative
Marijuana Negative
---

Let me ask you this. What's the harm in just quitting and coming clean? It's as simple as that. It's as easy as that! Why not turn your life around, leave the abuse behind, leave the destruction, and make way for light. Make room for God in your life, and let Him fill your heart with peace and joy.

I guess you didn't read the part where he only wanted an answer and nothing more. :smuggrin:
Just kidding.

I am just going to quit smoking the ganj a couple weeks before school starts in sept.

anything else would only require a week to get completely out of your system.

"Let me ask you this. What's the harm in just quitting and coming clean? It's as simple as that. It's as easy as that! Why not turn your life around, leave the abuse behind, leave the destruction, and make way for light. Make room for God in your life, and let Him fill your heart with peace and joy."
:barf:

who says smoking Cannabis is abusive and destructive? your health teacher in high school?

Just because a drug is deemed illegal by our society doesn't mean its the devil.

Instead of instilling discipline, self-respect, and God-fearing dignity in our patients, we stand back and let them do as they please because we ourselves can't tell whats right from wrong anymore.

"God-fearing dignity" - what a joke.

Maybe you should work for the church buddy.

---

Substances Tested:
Amphetamines Negative
Barbiturates Negative
Benzodiazepines Negative
Cocaine Negative
Methadone Negative
Methaqualone Negative
Opiates Negative
Phencyclidine Negative
Propoxyphene Negative
Marijuana Negative
---

Let me ask you this. What's the harm in just quitting and coming clean? It's as simple as that. It's as easy as that! Why not turn your life around, leave the abuse behind, leave the destruction, and make way for light. Make room for God in your life, and let Him fill your heart with peace.

Are you a student at regis?