Drug Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't believe me? Stop using marijuana for 30 days and take a professionally administered cognitive test. Then, start using marijuana again and take the same test once more. You will find that your memory and overall functioning are markedly impaired. I guarantee it. That is what I found when I did this as an experiment with a PA.

This is a scholarly article about how marijuana impacts cognitive function: An Evidence Based Review of Acute and Long-Term Effects of Cannabis Use on Executive Cognitive Functions

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wasn't the point. But thanks for playing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not saying that marijuana is black and white; I am saying that people need to be more careful and weigh the benefits with the risks before using it. I was given marijuana as a last resort when I was really sick from biliary tract dysfunction when traditional treatment didn't work, and I experienced a great deal of benefits from it. The testing was mainly to make sure that the marijuana wasn't having any significantly detrimental effects on my nervous system because I was only 20 years old, and the nervous system isn't fully developed until age 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not saying that marijuana is black and white; I am saying that people need to be more careful and weigh the benefits with the risks before using it. I was given marijuana as a last resort when I was really sick from biliary tract dysfunction when traditional treatment didn't work, and I experienced a great deal of benefits from it. The testing was mainly to make sure that the marijuana wasn't having any significantly detrimental effects on my nervous system because I was only 20 years old, and the nervous system isn't fully developed until age 25.

I think everyone knows with every drug that some should not take it for one reason or another. In my experience however, I know very smart and capable people that are quite extraordinary and also enjoy weed. Top of their classes in school and all. So while you have your experience, the rest of us also have ours, and as nyan and VMH have stated, in adults, the risks for regular users are not what years of propaganda has made it out to be. In the young, stay away until development is finished. Pretty much that way for any drug.

Reactions: 2 users
The problem with marijuana is that many people think of only a plant when they think of marijuana, not the psychoactive compounds it contains and how they interact with their medications. That's where people get hurt. Prior to being prescribed marijuana, I was given 300mg of Gabapentin at a pain clinic. I didn't think to ask my pharmacist about potential interactions with marijuana because, like many people, I didn't understand the potentially harmful effects of marijuana. That night, I took them together because I was nauseous and in a lot of pain. That was the start of the most horrifying experience of my entire life.

I went to bed, feeling much better, and I woke a few hours later to find my heart racing and body jerking each time feeling as if I was being shocked. I tried to make it stop, but, I couldn't, and, when it finally did, I was completely paralyzed and started hallucinating. I somehow yelled out for my mom, and, hearing how scared I was, she came running to my room. I did the best I could to tell her with great difficulty what I was experiencing. I blacked out and woke up to myself thrashing around again with my mom trying to change my pants, saying I had peed in my bed. I knew something was terribly wrong, and, at that point I asked her to take me to the hospital, but, being a nurse, she thought I was just having a bad reaction to the Gabapentin and that she would take care of me until it wore off. I stopped the Gabapentin and was physically fine, but had a lot of mood swings for several days afterwards. This happened two more times without the Gabapentin, and I was having a very difficult time waking up in the morning, so, I asked my primary doctor for an antidepressant that wouldn't make me sleepy. She prescribed me a low dose of an SSRI, called Zoloft, and, a week later, my gastroenterologist gave me a low dose of Tramadol. Tramadol is notoriously bad with antidepressants, especially SSRI's, but it doesn't usually cause much of a problem if both are used at a low dose.

I took those two medications and marijuana fairly close together one morning because I was in quite a bit of pain. An hour later, I experienced the same problem as before, except with the worst headache of my life, worsening abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhoea. This time my parents rushed me to the hospital, knowing that something was terribly wrong. I was either unconscious or sedated for the majority of my stay (about a week), and I vaguely remember my parents calling a priest from our parish to administer my last rites because my care team wasn't sure if I would be able to pull through because my blood pressure was fluctuating wildly, indicating that there was damage to my central nervous system. It turns out that I had something called Serotonin Syndrome, which is where serotonin receptors are overstimulated by high electrical activity and dump way too much serotonin into their synapses. If the neuron on the other side of the synapse isn't able to absorb enough of the serotonin, the myelin sheath around the synapse ruptures, resulting in the chemical messengers being disbursed and only randomly hitting the other neuron.

Most people recover from this within 48hrs of stopping the offending drugs with the help of IV fluids, Ativan, and a vitamin B complex. My care team said that the reason my case was so severe was because the CBD in the marijuana oil increased the potency of both drugs. It has also been found to stimulate the 5HT-1A serotonin receptor.

I think everyone knows with every drug that some should not take it for one reason or another. In my experience however, I know very smart and capable people that are quite extraordinary and also enjoy weed. Top of their classes in school and all. So while you have your experience, the rest of us also have ours, and as nyan and VMH have stated, in adults, the risks for regular users are not what years of propaganda has made it out to be. In the young, stay away until development is finished. Pretty much that way for any drug.
Also, marijuana has been found to impair coordination and reflexes, so, it's not a good idea to drive after taking it.

Also, marijuana has been found to impair coordination and reflexes, so, it's not a good idea to drive after taking it.

People don't think of the psychoactive effects? I'd like to know what marijuana users you've been talking to. Also, I believe it's a given you don't drive while under the influence of ANYTHING, whether it be marijuana, alcohol, or anything else. It seems as if you're using your own unfortunate anecdote to demonize the drug.

Like VMH said, no, it is not the cure-all many advocates wholeheartedly claim. However, if used responsibly, there should not be an issue (this applies to a variety of substances). It is no ones responsibility but the individual in question to obtain all the necessary information and to take the necessary precautions before indulging in weed, alcohol, or any other substances.

I'm not demonizing marijuana at all. I'm just saying that some people think it's harmless because it's a plant. They don't understand that "natural" doesn't mean "not harmful."

Wat8.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I've been sitting at my health screening chugging water for the drug test and each time I try I only manage to produce half the amount of liquid that they need. If I take too long or leave and come back it's an automatic fail. I feel like I'm going to vomit straight water and yet fail my drug test. Wtf kidneys get your act together. This is the most ridiculous thing that's happened to me in awhile.
#threadrelevant

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 12 users
Guys I've been sitting at my health screening chugging water for the drug test and each time I try I only manage to produce half the amount of liquid that they need. If I take too long or leave and come back it's an automatic fail. I feel like I'm going to vomit straight water and yet fail my drug test. Wtf kidneys get your act together. This is the most ridiculous thing that's happened to me in awhile.
#threadrelevant

Totes love your signature is now "Life After Vet School". #trendsetter

Reactions: 1 user
#threadrelevant

Update: kidneys kicked into gear, no worries. I'm sure you were all concerned.

Reactions: 12 users
Update: kidneys kicked into gear, no worries. I'm sure you were all concerned.

Good work KC and your kidneys. Everytime I have to give a urine sample (which, this semester, happened way more times than you would expect due to being sick) my body fights with me as well. Glad yours were able to cooperate!

Reactions: 1 user
#threadrelevant

Drink 32oz of water in 15 minutes or less an hour before you go in. That's about how much liquid most people can hold in their bladder, and, it takes about an hour for most people's kidneys to filter through that much water. I had to do this for a pelvic ultrasound, and, afterwards, I peed like I had been holding it for my entire life.

Drink 32oz of water in 15 minutes or less an hour before you go in. That's about how much liquid most people can hold in their bladder, and, it takes about an hour for most people's kidneys to filter through that much water. I had to do this for a pelvic ultrasound, and, afterwards, I peed like I had been holding it for my entire life.

Does not work when you're at the doctor and they decide to do a urine test without telling you and you haven't had anything to drink since 7pm the night before. I was mentally chanting "cmon kidneys, do your job. Cmon kidneys, make some pee". It took a long time lol