DSW reputation over PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GradGirl90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently getting my MSW. I have an MS in criminal justice. Long story short, I was once in a PhD program for criminal justice. I left it due to it being an extremely toxic program (full of drama and lack of support), and a feeling that staring at stats programs all the time was really not my thing. I felt that I could do more by offering my time with people one on one in a clinical setting. I have been comparing the DSW to the PhD, and I really haven’t found that much information. I am highly considering getting a doctorate again one day, but I would like to stay on the clinical side. I have one prof saying that a PhD is more marketable, but I am worried about losing the clinical nature of things if I go that route. There are some very well respected universities offering a DSW out there (Rutgers being one). These programs are also much more designed for a working professional. What do you guys think of the DSW? Is it gaining more respect?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that a DSW is more geared toward research/teaching in SW. A PhD in clinical or counseling psych would more likely get you what you want in terms of clinical practice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
I am currently getting my MSW. I have an MS in criminal justice. Long story short, I was once in a PhD program for criminal justice. I left it due to it being an extremely toxic program (full of drama and lack of support), and a feeling that staring at stats programs all the time was really not my thing. I felt that I could do more by offering my time with people one on one in a clinical setting. I have been comparing the DSW to the PhD, and I really haven’t found that much information. I am highly considering getting a doctorate again one day, but I would like to stay on the clinical side. I have one prof saying that a PhD is more marketable, but I am worried about losing the clinical nature of things if I go that route. There are some very well respected universities offering a DSW out there (Rutgers being one). These programs are also much more designed for a working professional. What do you guys think of the DSW? Is it gaining more respect?

I've never seen a DSW in my hospital settings. FYI, the majority of clinical psych PhD graduates are working in a primarily clinical career. The notion that it is not a clinical degree is just flat out wrong.

I have one prof saying that a PhD is more marketable, but I am worried about losing the clinical nature of things if I go that route. There are some very well respected universities offering a DSW out there (Rutgers being one). These programs are also much more designed for a working professional. What do you guys think of the DSW? Is it gaining more respect?

I know a few academics who have PhDs in social work. If you want an academic job (ie, university professor, academic medicine, even think-tank type jobs), then a traditional PhD (rather than a DSW) is the way to go.

If, on the other hand, you are interested in a mostly clinical practice-oriented career, my advice is to get your LCSW credential and start working, then think about whether the doctorate really makes sense for your career path. I don't think the DSW gives much advantage for entry level social work positions. Doctoral degrees that are designed for working professionals are best pursued, if at all, once you are in a stable position and someone else is footing the bill for your tuition (eg, through employer tuition reimbursement programs).

Reactions: 1 users
I never said I wanted to get a clinical psych based degree. I said SW. They are, in fact, different degrees. I actually just saw a job add the other day for a hospital in CO that said “DSW preferred”.

Mama PhD,
Thanks. I was already intended on my LCSW for that reason. But I’m curious for later down the line if a DSW is as respected as a PhD for non tenure based positions as well as clinical positions. So not entry level jobs. I found a lot of academic jobs that listed PhD or DSW being acceptable. I just want to make sure it is a good degree to have before going into it, and it’s difficult to ask about when there aren’t as many programs for it as there are PhDs. However, the NASW is in the process of starting to review DSW programs for accreditation. I know there are some people on here that have or are pursuing their DSW so I was hoping they could chime in with their experiences.

I think the degree is rare so it might be tough to find anyone here who has the DSW degree. What I will say is that after several years of clinical practice in multiple settings, I’ve never known someone with that degree and it doesn’t lead to licensure, which to me, is concerning. It also suggests that many employers will not know what a DSW offers beyond a master’s degree, just as most employers would be confused by a doctorate in marriage and family therapy (DMFT) that doesn’t lead to licensure (it is a professional no-man’s land degree, so to speak, and I discourage people from pursuing it).

I would imagine the purpose of the DSW would be largely administrative/clinical (SW director and/or leader), and perusing some social work websites, this seems to be accurate because they’re saying it’s a practice-oriented degree geared toward those in managerial positions wanting to move up, largely, and that it’s less oriented to research/academia than a PhD. But again, if few people are getting this degree, employers may not know what you offer beyond someone with a master’s with several years of experience in the field.

Is clinical/administrative what you’re wanting? Plenty of LCSWs move up the ranks (in a place I worked, an LCSW was lead social worker).

Last edited:
I would also note that SW clinical leads with doctorates still can’t supervise psychologists-in-training (only LPCs/LMFTs & LCSWs), but psychologists can supervise LCSWs, doctoral psychology trainees, and LMFTs/LPCs.

Thanks. I was already intended on my LCSW for that reason. But I’m curious for later down the line if a DSW is as respected as a PhD for non tenure based positions as well as clinical positions.

*Edited to add details

DSW is a relative unknown so it's hard to answer that question. You might have seen some position descriptions that mention the DSW, but most (even for "senior" or supervisory SW positions) do not.

What do you mean by non-tenure positions? Do you mean things like clinical faculty positions? My institution is hiring a non-tenure faculty level social worker, and requires only a master's. No mention of DSW.

It just isn't clear what kind of careers you are thinking of so I can't even say whether it's worth pursuing a doctorate at all. I can tell you that having a doctorate will not automatically give you an advantage over other candidates for non-academic positions. One of the best employers in my city is hiring a director of case management and social work, and the educational requirements include a master's in NURSING.

Last edited by a moderator: