Dual applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureSuperStar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application cycle this season seems like its going to be a blood bath. The match rate will probably be less than 50% (1700 applicants and just 700ish spots). For those that have dual applied in the past.. How did you go about it? What did you tell/plan to tell the letter writers of your backup specialty post match-day in the event that you matched ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

The application cycle this season seems like its going to be a blood bath. The match rate will probably be less than 50% (1700 applicants and just 700ish spots). For those that have dual applied in the past.. How did you go about it? What did you tell/plan to tell the letter writers of your backup specialty post match-day in the event that you matched ortho?
Is it really that bad this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a MS2 at a DO school and out of 300 students, there's like at least 30-40 that desperately want to do ortho.

Step 1 going p/f really is gonna make the competitive specialties even more competitive, as more people are gonna reach for them.

I know step 2ck is the new benchmark but that's so far out that it won't kill everyone's plastic or ortho dreams until later in med school, lol.

I'm a MS2 at a DO school and out of 300 students, there's like at least 30-40 that desperately want to do ortho.

Step 1 going p/f really is gonna make the competitive specialties even more competitive, as more people are gonna reach for them.

I know step 2ck is the new benchmark but that's so far out that it won't kill everyone's plastic or ortho dreams until later in med school, lol.
Ya a good portion of those will take 2CK and end up not applying to ortho. Also I know people who were pretty dead set on ortho then did there ortho rotation third year and decided that it’s just not for them. I’m half way through M3 and at my school of ~400 I really only know of 3-4 people who still serious about applying to ortho next year. I’m sure there are a few more that I just don’t know about cause the class is so big, but it’s a lot less than the 30-40 who went to all the ortho club meetings during M1-2

ya as the above said, step 2 will be the new dream crusher as step 1 once was. People will be dead set for ortho then take step and become the biggest lovers of family med. seen it more times that i can count