Dual Credit Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katieburrito

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm starting to get everything together for when PTCAS opens. As I'm beginning to finalize the list of schools I want to apply to, I noticed that some say they don't accept community college credit for their prerequisites. I took a lot of dual credit courses in high school that my current university accepted as transfer credit. Since the dual credit is technically from a community college, does this mean that they don't count as prerequisites? Or since my university accepted it as transfer credit will it count?

It should probably be noted that the classes I'm worried about are English/Composition courses, Chemistry I and II, and Precalculus/Calculus courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I would call or email the schools you are worried about and ask them. As far as the policy, I didn’t encounter that at any of the schools I applied to. In fact they recommended it to finish my reqs so it was cheaper.

I had this same issue with my application with AP/ community college credit. Since your college accepted them it hopefully will be accepted by other programs. What I did was I called the offices of all the schools I was applying and asked if they accepted that credit for those certain prerequisites. Most of the schools will request a copy of your transcript to show they were accepted and how the credits were disbursed especially for classes with labs. The issue that you may run into just like I did was since they were core science courses, a few schools would not even think about accepting them for prerequisite courses and advised me to retake them. Really once you speak to the schools you are interested in you will have a heads up and you can avoid applying to schools that do not accept that form of credit. It worked out for me, I was accepted into every school I applied to using AP credit with the exception of the one school who did not accept it. Good Luck!!