Dual degree DO/MD

• Thread starter Deleted member 237747
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 237747

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. And there would be no need to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a degree like dual degree DO/MD? Like if I do DO can I do MD after that. I know when you do DO you are doing MD courses too, so some additional courses/training can one get dual license/credentials?

:sleep::rolleyes:

Well sure you can! All you have to do is apply to and attend an allopathic medical school after you graduate from an osteopathic medical school. Only 8 years plus residency. Maybe you could even go to dental school afterwards and then vet school after that.

several places offer CME courses in OM for Allopathic practitioners.

Is there a degree like dual degree DO/MD? Like if I do DO can I do MD after that. I know when you do DO you are doing MD courses too, so some additional courses/training can one get dual license/credentials?

are you SERIOUSLY asking this question? Like, for realzies? I dont buy it.

As I recall NYCOM a DO school took MDs from other countries who couldn't match MD and gave them a DO degree so they became MD/DO and could go threw the DO match. I also recall a thread where some DOs could go to some offshore med school for like a year or 2 and get their MD so they'd be DO/MD. Personally I'd get a JD or CPA or take some cooking classes and become an Iron Chef or something like that would be a better use of time.

Yep... There was a thread somewhere, and someone asked if there is a combined MD/DO program or something.

As LD said... NYCOM had a program for foreign MDs. Some Caribbean schools accept DOs... but as far as I know, thats more of a marketing ploy, and they might give you credit for some basic sciences.

Why would you want to do MD and DO... If you are interested in OMM, then you should do DO. If you are dead set of Derm, go for MD... but at your level, you should have no reason to be dead set on Derm. To clarify that....Even if you have done years of research in Derm, or any field for that matter... you cant really know that the clinical side of it is right for you until you do a rotation in it.

anyway...

Both are doctors of medicine. There is no need to get duplicate degrees.

UNLESS, you want to be a MD. I heard there are Caribbean schools that take your DO and turn it into a MD .

I believe you may need to do more research into the various degrees before you apply to them. :rolleyes:

Both are doctors of medicine. There is no need to get duplicate degrees.

UNLESS, you want to be a MD. I heard there are Caribbean schools that take your DO and turn it into a MD .

I believe you may need to do more research into the various degrees before you apply to them. :rolleyes:

If so, you probably would have to repeat your clinical years (because they need to be ACGME rather than AOA certified). And, youd have to take the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Corrected.

Hahaha I agree!!!! It is ridiculous to get the other degree when DOs for all intensive purposes do the smae as MDs and can and many times do take both Comlex as well as the USMLEs and many end up in allo residencies.

Well sure you can! All you have to do is apply to and attend an allopathic medical school after you graduate from an osteopathic medical school. Only 8 years plus residency. Maybe you could even go to dental school afterwards and then vet school after that.

haha and they'll be in a million dollars in debt. :p. Too funny!!!!!!

I don't even know how it would make any logical or rational sense to do both DO and MD degrees. Anyone who is not ignorant of what a DO is or what their rights and practice capabilities to do would be able to tell you DOs and MDs with the same field are equal for all intensive purposes when you compare them side to side. The main thing with DOs is that they do that additional comp. in OMM which I'm not too enthused for.

Some DO schools are in effect very well reputated too i.e. USArmyDoc's school PCOM.

Some MD's in sports med type specialties go back for OMM training/certification (athletes love OMM), though I don't think the docs get a DO added to their title.

I'm actually pretty excited to learn how to give glorified back massages.. Kidding, future PCOM-er here. :D

Some MD's in sports med type specialties go back for OMM training/certification (athletes love OMM), though I don't think the docs get a DO added to their title.

I'm actually pretty excited to learn how to give glorified back massages.. Kidding, future PCOM-er here. :D

chicago blackhawks all go to DOs after every game. thats a rumor I heard.

The sports medicine people that I am familiar with are orthopedic surgeons who did a one year fellowship in sports medicine. I'm sure there are other routes though.

There are programs that will give DOs an MD after some more coursework, and these are almost exclusively offered outside the US. Current students of DO schools can also enroll. One such program can be found at www.DOtoMD.com. In my opinion, they are a waste of time. You could be paying off your loans during the time you are trying to change your degree. If you want an MD, then go to an MD school to begin with. If you want both degrees... then you have bigger problems to deal with.

Last edited:
Don't fall into the trap of thinking of your education solely as a degree. You are being educated, and at a certain point, that education grants you privilege to perform the clinical aspects of a physician. If what you want is more education, after you get your medical degree, you can become board certified or pursue it on your own terms. If what you want is more letters after your name, pursue an MBA. Long titles are synonymous with big egos and small minds. Neither of which makes a good physician.

22 posts later without one peep from the OP with 15 posts under his belt ... I think it's safe to call this one.

22 posts later without one peep from the OP with 15 posts under his belt ... I think it's safe to call this one.

First you have to review those 15 posts. The OP appears to be someone with a blemished academic record, who is now groping around trying to find a door into a program with the initials "MD" attached to it.

Last edited:
There are programs that will give DOs an MD after some more coursework,

i dont understand this. i always hear about DO education being the same as an MD education, with the exception of some ADDITIONAL training in OMM. so why exactly would one need MORE coursework to go from an ostensibly superior DO degree to an MD?

i dont understand this. i always hear about DO education being the same as an MD education, with the exception of some ADDITIONAL training in OMM. so why exactly would one need MORE coursework to go from an ostensibly superior DO degree to an MD?

Precisely. They're the exact same thing (disregarding the OMM which only a few DOs actually use in practice). There is no point to an MD after a DO. Won't change your ability to get a job, your pay, anything ... except oddly stroke the ego of someone who is insecure.

This is not an accurate statement. DO does not equal MD+. It is a different degree founded on a different philosophy monitored by a different accrediting board. They cover many of the same topics (obviously), but OMM is not just an add on to the MD curriculum. Last time I checked faculty contact hours, classroom hours, etc., DO students weren't getting more training that MD students. That means something has to give if they're doing OMM.

Both curricula more than adequately cover the topics required to be an effective physician in the US, which is why state medical licensing boards recognize both degrees. It is a disservice to characterize one degree as superior to the other.

First you have to review those 15 posts. The OP appears to be someone with a blemished academic record, who is now groping around trying to find a door into a program with the initials "MD" attached to it.

I just looked over them. Good thinking on your part. haha.

That said, judging from the looks of things, the OP is better off doing a postbac and getting his act together and getting good grades and good MCAT scores if he wants to get into any med school MD or DO rather then thinking of backdoor routes of getting what he wants.

Doesn't anyone use google anymore?

https://dotomd.com/

Not only do you get an MD, but it's only 1/5 the cost of tuition at an MD school!

I can't believe I didn't think of this first.

The bad news is, outside of the United States, D.O. means the equivalent of a chiropractor. We are not in anyway disparaging chiropractic care, but this is not what a United States trained D.O. is.
:laugh:

try using that dotomd pile of dog**** ... then listing yourself as an MD in any state. You'll have a disciplinary check for misrepresenting yourself so fast your cheesy, self-hating head will spin. These programs aren't accredited one bit, and all you will end up doing is looking like a hack.

DO to MD programs are typically run via an accredited Caribbean (or other int'l) program that awards the MD degree.

try using that dotomd pile of dog**** ... then listing yourself as an MD in any state. You'll have a disciplinary check for misrepresenting yourself so fast your cheesy, self-hating head will spin. These programs aren't accredited one bit, and all you will end up doing is looking like a hack.
These programs are for DO physicians who want to practice in Canada. In parts of Canada DO is an unaccredited and very un-medical degree, like a chiropractor or a neuropath, and therefore a DO can't be licenced to practice medicine. So these programs are a well established cheat to let doctors who learned medicine via the US DO system practice with our neighbors to the north. No idea of the legality of it, but they need physicians as much as we do and US trained DOs are real physicians so I'm guessing they're fine with it. No one sane would do this and then practice in the US.

DO to MD programs are typically run via an accredited Caribbean (or other int'l) program that awards the MD degree.

Really?? I thought they were usually pretty sketchy. It seems like a respected Caribbean school would want to distance itself from this (as would any respectable DO).

tbqh i was paying more attention to the redhead on the left in the last one.

dayum.

I think you're mellowing in your old age. :)
GOD DAMN IT
I HATE THIS HACKER CRAP!

also, DO/MD dual is so passe. If you'd done your homework, you would've known that DO/MD/PhD/MBA are what's up nowadays

GOD DAMN IT
I HATE THIS HACKER CRAP!

also, DO/MD dual is so passe. If you'd done your homework, you would've known that DO/MD/PhD/MBA are what's up nowadays
that's yesterday.

now its DO/MD/DNP/PA/AA/CRNA/PhD/MBA/JD/RN/BSN.

I ran across a kid today at the library who was studying for his MCAT. Being a friendly and charismatic guy with lots of charm, I decided to chat him up about the process. Boy what a mistake that was. He argued with me about the DO thing too... Worst yet, he had this phony "Pre-med club" shirt on with an ivy league emblem at the top. I drew a pretty accurate picture of him so if you see this kid around school, avoid at all costs:

premedhg9.jpg

How did we manage to leave out PharmD???? Why don't the pharmacists ever have to worry about the Doctors of Nursing (as oxymoronical as it is disgusting and scary) getting their practice taken over? Do they not offer Doctor of Pharmacy Technician degrees? This is bull****

How did we manage to leave out PharmD???? Why don't the pharmacists ever have to worry about the Doctors of Nursing (as oxymoronical as it is disgusting and scary) getting their practice taken over? Do they not offer Doctor of Pharmacy Technician degrees? This is bull****
b/c all they can do is count pills. duh. :rolleyes:

I work as a pharm tech right now. I feel I am fully qualified to practice as a pharmacist. I took Chemistry and learned about some chemicals and stuff (thats what drugs r made of right?) so I think I need to get a lobby going, persuade some dumb politicians to go along with it, and pretty soon we'll be well on our way to achieiving "parity."

^ Hilarious. I think I'm going to start a thread on "Getting yourr MD...Twice?"

Reactions: 1 user
These programs are for DO physicians who want to practice in Canada. In parts of Canada DO is an unaccredited and very un-medical degree, like a chiropractor or a neuropath, and therefore a DO can't be licenced to practice medicine. So these programs are a well established cheat to let doctors who learned medicine via the US DO system practice with our neighbors to the north. No idea of the legality of it, but they need physicians as much as we do and US trained DOs are real physicians so I'm guessing they're fine with it. No one sane would do this and then practice in the US.
Prince Edward Island is the only part of Canada to not recognize the DO degree. Saskatchewan allows only manipulation.

I ran across a kid today at the library who was studying for his MCAT. Being a friendly and charismatic guy with lots of charm, I decided to chat him up about the process. Boy what a mistake that was. He argued with me about the DO thing too... Worst yet, he had this phony "Pre-med club" shirt on with an ivy league emblem at the top. I drew a pretty accurate picture of him so if you see this kid around school, avoid at all costs:

premedhg9.jpg

Hey I go to school with that guy (x100000000)

Actually that would be pretty sweet if you could get an MD going to a DO school. The whole MD/DO debate would vanish in an instant if that were possible.

You would see all the DO schools become much more competitive, while reducing the competitiveness of the whole process. There would be the added benefit of a lot less 24-29 MCAT students matriculating and open up more spots for the 30+ MCAT students who have to reapply (which I feel is a shame when the less deserving students are consistently getting in).

Actually that would be pretty sweet if you could get an MD going to a DO school. The whole MD/DO debate would vanish in an instant if that were possible.

You would see all the DO schools become much more competitive, while reducing the competitiveness of the whole process. There would be the added benefit of a lot less 24-29 MCAT students matriculating and open up more spots for the 30+ MCAT students who have to reapply (which I feel is a shame when the less deserving students are consistently getting in).
That would be the worst idea ever.

The sports medicine people that I am familiar with are orthopedic surgeons who did a one year fellowship in sports medicine. I'm sure there are other routes though.

More commonly a family practice residency with sports medicine fellowship.