Dual Degree MD/MA in Ethics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that MCW offers a dual degree program in which you take a year off (I think between MS2 and MS3) to do a MA in Ethics. Does anyone know offhand of any other schools that offer a similar option?

Members don't see this ad.

Case Western does. i think you might be able to do it in four years too.

When I was interviewing at Case, all of the literature indicated that one could do it in four years. It's an awesome program and is a huge draw for me looking at the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think Duke may offer an option like this during the research year (3rd year) :D

TheDarkSide said:
I know that MCW offers a dual degree program in which you take a year off (I think between MS2 and MS3) to do a MA in Ethics. Does anyone know offhand of any other schools that offer a similar option?

UPenn has a major bioethics center, and the medical school will let you time to do a Masters in Bioethics (probably between M2 and M3). The bioethics center is huge, and has some really big-name people.

the program at penn is unparalleled. the faculty and resources are simply amazing. i am currently working on the joint jd/mbe at penn. there are several medical students in the program as well. they really enjoy it. some are taking one or two classes, others are actually working towards the masters.

http://www.bioethics.upenn.edu/

if you have any specific questions about the masters program i would be happy to answer them. go ahead and pm me.

I am also in the masters of bioethics program at penn, and it is awesome. You can actually complete the program in your four years as a med student, with little difficulty. They have also started a scholarship program for a couple of students each year. Feel free to PM me with questions, as well :)