dual degree programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolcats

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys im looking for a DO/MBA program...was wanting to know if there are any well established programs out there

so far i've heard about
osu
kcumb
nyit
pcom

any others...?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys im looking for a DO/MBA program...was wanting to know if there are any well established programs out there

so far i've heard about
osu
kcumb
nyit
pcom

any others...?

MHA at DMU.

Also, does anyone know the average stats of people accepted for DO/pHD programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have work experience/business oriented degree? MBA programs are widely oriented towards people with a few years work experience. I don't know if the medical ones are water downed versions or not. I've heard of a few people doing them with non-business backgrounds, but they really struggled because there is some assumption of prior knowledge/exposure before hand.

p.s...I am interested too. :p

Link to DO/MBA programs

Those are only current programs. There are some programs in the talks for MBA. I know VCOM is working with linking with VT (VCOM's going to have some GREAT programs I tell ya!), UMDNJ was supposed to have an MBA program with Rutgers-Camden, while I think you might be able to swing the MBA program there, they've had problems with "dual degree" candidate in the past (from UMDNJ-RWJ) with that program. They aren't very flexible in some regards. Maybe they've gotten better in the past 2 years though.

Other than that, you do NOT need work experience. Your schooling counts in these programs. Please beware of WHAT TYPE OF PROGRAM you're getting yourself into though. I've said this time and time again. Visit the Joint Degree forum (MD/DO MBA) as many people have asked questions similar to those in this thread. Not all programs are created equal. If you really want an MBA look for dual degree program or just wait until residency/attending. Some of these "MBA" programs are mearly glorified Masters in Health Administration in my opinion which is fine if you are looking for that type of degree.

Link to DO/MBA programs

Those are only current programs. There are some programs in the talks for MBA. I know VCOM is working with linking with VT (VCOM's going to have some GREAT programs I tell ya!), UMDNJ was supposed to have an MBA program with Rutgers-Camden, while I think you might be able to swing the MBA program there, they've had problems with "dual degree" candidate in the past (from UMDNJ-RWJ) with that program. They aren't very flexible in some regards. Maybe they've gotten better in the past 2 years though.

Other than that, you do NOT need work experience. Your schooling counts in these programs. Please beware of WHAT TYPE OF PROGRAM you're getting yourself into though. I've said this time and time again. Visit the Joint Degree forum (MD/DO MBA) as many people have asked questions similar to those in this thread. Not all programs are created equal. If you really want an MBA look for dual degree program or just wait until residency/attending. Some of these "MBA" programs are mearly glorified Masters in Health Administration in my opinion which is fine if you are looking for that type of degree.

Yea...I guess I kind of misspoke. I didn't mean work experience is "required" per se, but it is definitley an advantage. A true hardcore MBA is much more than basic classes. My friends currently enrolled in the bigtime ones now tell me they could never imagine doing it without experience under their belt. Just not many experiences to put things in context, as well as your biz vocab is pretty small straight out of undergrad. I think waiting is not necessarily a bad thing depending on where you are located. Book smart in business stuff can only go so far...those experiences outside of that are priceless in my opinion...but what do I know. ;)

Does anyone know if you can apply to a school for DO/MBA and just DO? Like kcumb for example? I would love to get my DO there, but I have always wanted to get my MBA also, however it would stink to apply there DO/MBA and not be able to get either when I could apply for DO (potentially get in - who knows??) and then get my MBA at a later date? So does anyone know if you can apply both (DO and DO/MBA) to the same school??