Dually Accreditied Residencies....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pags

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I could find information on the number and locations of dually accredited residency programs in the U.S.? Thanks much....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi...

Are you referring to dual track programs like Med/Psych or Med/Peds? If so, you can locate listing either in the "Green Book" (book of GME in the US) or on-line at FREIDA.

The links to FREIDA are located at http://www.ama-assn.org under the Education header.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I actually meant AOA and ACGME dually accredited residencies. Could that also be found in the "Green Book"? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is my understanding that there are no programs dually accreditated by the AMA and the AOA.

The AMA residency (ACGME) program director must be board certified from a member board of the American board of medical specialites.

The AOA residency program director must be board certified from AOA board.

TO find a program director that is board certifed by both the AMA and AOA is difficult.

Sorry to disappoint or maybe even enlighten your, but there are residencies that are accredited by both ACGME and AOA. I just would like to find a list of them. It truly is a benefit for zealous DO's who want to be board certified from both parties to increase their freedom of insurance carriers and location of practice.

[This message has been edited by pags (edited 10-02-2000).]

Originally posted by pags:
It truly is a benefit for zealous DO's who want to be board certified from both parties to increase their freedom of insurance carriers and location of practice.

Insurances recoginze both AOA and ABMS board certification equally and having both in the same speciality will not increase their freedom of insurance carriers and location.

For DO's having started a ACGME residency prior to oct 1999, they may be eligible for AOA board certification via the reentry pathway, in addition to ABMS board certification.

Please name some dually acredited programs, I am always willing to learn something new.

Hey, ms, I must tell that I'm currently rotating through a dually accredited family practice residency program at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center. The program is headed by two program directors, one a MD and one a DO. I just want to find all the other ones. I think it would be nice and impressive to be board certified in both modalities.

Sounds like wycoff heights family residency is actually two different residencies with two different program directors. Make sure you can sit for both boards prior to starting the program

[This message has been edited by ms (edited 10-05-2000).]

i had this very same question and discovered that there are only 2 programs in EM that are MD/DO..

what you need to find out is if the program is truly ACCREDITED by both the AOA and AMA..you do this by picking your specialty, looking on AOA opportunities page and cross refrencing the list with FREIDA...you then call the individual progarms and ASK them if they are dually accredited..many programs will list it if they are b/c they want to lure you that way.

you will not however be increasing your insurance carriers, etc..DO's are fully recognized everywhere but louisianna and i don't know of any insurance carriers that don't carry DOs..

you WILL however, run into problems trying to bill for OMT if in fact you plan to do family practice with a lot of OMT. there currently are not very many techniques which are accepted by insurance carriers..it does not matter if you put MD after your name, they still will not accept it.

sitting for both boards is nice, but not always necessary..for example, in EM, i can still be a full fledged fellow member of ABEM and ACEP without sitting for the MD boards..

so, research carefully before making too many sweeping generalizations.

keep in mind that your status as a DO is not really restrictive in practice, only in politics.

good luck